PDA

View Full Version : Torn between 2 preschools...

JustMe
08-22-2006, 05:05 PM
I know I am the only one who can decide this, but I sure would love to hear some other opinions!

I work full time and dd has been in an in-home daycare for over 2 years. She gets lots of love/attention, but it is time for some more structure, etc. I really want her to learn to work things out with other kids as well. She is not the aggressor, but often says nothing if another kid does something that hurts her feelings or she cries or she tells her babysitter. So, I have decided that our best option is to have her attend a preschool program 2 days a week and stay with her daycare provider 3 days a week (I am single and cannot transport mid-day...she is very attached to her daycare provider, so I dont want to just take that away from her).

Preschool 1 has a ratio of 1:6. They do a lot of great things like celebrate birthdays and holidays in meaningful ways. (For birthdays they can bring in a pic from each year of their life, talk about something from each year, and everyone says something they appreciate about them...usually one thing for each year of their life). However, the outdoor play area is not that great. It is hard to describe in this post, but everything about the philosophy is great, but the facilities arent what I would want for my daughter, and it also has a very at-home feel (normally I would think that was great, but since dd will be in an at-home setting as well, I would want it to feel like school).

Preschool 2 is at the YMCA. I only saw it as I had some extra time off of work, but was surprised about how much I liked it. They do great activities. Dd was instantly comfortable there, and joined in with the other kids, something she has not done at the 4 other preschools we visited. They have swim lessons included in the price, an amazing playground and a big room for gross motor activities during the winter. Unfortunately, the ratio is only 1:10 at times, although they try to stay at 1:9 and many times have volunteers that make the ratio even better.

I think dd would be exposed to a lot of new experiences at Preschool 2 and would take more risks than she would with me. At Preschool 1, she would get more attention and probably more concentrated assistance with assertiveness skills.

At this point, both probably have short waiting lists, but that is not as much of an issue for me. I want her to go to the school that is best for her.

Thoughts, options?

TIA
Robyn
single mommy to a 3 yr old from Guatemala

daniele_ut
08-22-2006, 07:37 PM
We have had similar feelings recently about DS and his care. I felt for a while last spring that DS needed more stimulation and more structure, as well as exposure to more children than he was getting at his home daycare. We had some issues with our provider that made parting with her easier for us, and we took him out for the summer since we were going to be out of town for 7 weeks. She wasn't willing to take him part time, so it wouldn't have been an option to find a part time daycare/pre-school program for him. We decided to find a center that we loved where he would thrive, and luckily, I think we have. He starts 2 weeks from yesterday, so we'll see how it goes!

For your dilemma, I would honestly probably go with the YMCA. I think the facilities are important as well. The one we chose has a great program *and* new facilities. We looked at some daycares that I simply crossed off the list because the facilities were so awful. It wouldn't have mattered to me how great the program was if I couldn't get past the sub-standard facility. It sounds like the first preschool isn't bad, just not what you want. I think you have to find a balance, and it sounds like the Y would meet your needs. She's going to be getting more individual attention at her home-care setting, so I think that the ratio at the Y would be perfectly acceptable.

Momof3Labs
08-22-2006, 08:21 PM
I like the sounds of the second one better, but I have an outgoing boy with a strong personality! But I think your DD's response to the second one is important - maybe she needs the change, too. While at #1 she may get concentrated assistance with certain skills, she may not. And those skills may just develop on their own at #2, given that she found it comfortable right off the bat.

KAK22
08-22-2006, 08:27 PM
As a teacher, I would go with Preschool #2. It will better prepare her for larger group school! I especially love that she was instantly comfortable there!

JustMe
08-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the responses! They are very helpful. I assumed that the better ratio make people prefer Preschool 1. I still am not sure, as Preschool 1 really does have an amazing philosophy, but this is all very helpful.

Another thing that worries me about the higher ratio is that Preschool 2 is not as well supervised. For example, they have a play tent in their classroom, and while I was there, 2-3 kids were in it at a time with no adults monitoring what was happening inside. I know that may sound paranoid, but I have worked a therapeutic preschools, where most of our kids have had emotional or abuse issues, and of course we would never have allowed kids to be out of sight together (to clarify the tent is in the same room as everyone else its just that the teachers are watching other kids in the room, doing projects, etc). I know that a therapeutic preschool is going to be different than a regular preschool, but I still worry.

Robyn

JustMe
08-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the responses! They are very helpful. I assumed that the better ratio make people prefer Preschool 1. I still am not sure, as Preschool 1 really does have an amazing philosophy, but this is all very helpful.

Another thing that worries me about the higher ratio is that Preschool 2 is not as well supervised. For example, they have a play tent in their classroom, and while I was there, 2-3 kids were in it at a time with no adults monitoring what was happening inside. I know that may sound paranoid, but I have worked a therapeutic preschools, where most of our kids have had emotional or abuse issues, and of course we would never have allowed kids to be out of sight together (to clarify the tent is in the same room as everyone else its just that the teachers are watching other kids in the room, doing projects, etc). I know that a therapeutic preschool is going to be different than a regular preschool, but I still worry.

Robyn

saschalicks
08-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Robyn,
Being that you want a different setting for DD then she is normally used to, and she really took to it so quickly I would go with #2. I think it is more along the lines of the atmosphere you are seeking out. I know the individualized attention and the ratio is important, but I think the other things outweigh those.

We will be looking at pre-schools for next fall starting in a couple of months, so I know we are going to have dilemmas as well. Good luck.

maestramommy
08-23-2006, 12:06 PM
this is just my opinion based on no experience whatsoever, but if it were me, I would go with preschool 2. It sounds like preschool 1 is too much like your daycare provider to give the structure and difference you're looking for. And for me personally, the things you saw at preschool 2 are the things I would be sending Dora to preschool for in the first place, things that I couldn't possibly provide myself. I see preschool as a gentle step between home and kindergarten, so I'd want Dora to get used to a structured environment with a lot more kids before all the academic stuff starts. This is JMO though. Experienced moms probably have more insightful opinions