PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Springs with a toddler?

amaryl02
08-23-2006, 12:28 AM
We're flying to Colorado Springs for the first time this weekend to visit friends. Could I do this trip with a cheapy frame backpack and a cheapy umbrella stroller? I don't know exactly where we'll be going but Garden of the Gods, some (light) hiking, the zoo, and other outdoor typical tourist spots will be on the agenda. Ooops, forgot to say that Dd is 22 months old and Dh will be coming too (and carrying the backpack).

I have a nicer stroller (Pliko P3) but I'm leery about possible damage on the plane and lugging it into our friends' trunks, esp. if most terrain makes a stroller unusable in the first place. DH will be the one carrying our toddler, who's not even 25 lbs., but we're not really accustomed to carrying her for long periods. (And she walks at a snail's pace on any sort of uneven ground or dirt path.) Normally on a zoo outing or other day trip, I would want the P3 for a place to hang a diaper bag, put water bottles, etc., plus recline and sun shade. But I just don't know a thing about these locations in Colorado and what the terrain is like. Should we stick with the backpack and use the stroller only for the zoo? Do I need to spring for a nicer frame backpack, even though we'll only be there 3 days?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has any experience with similar travel--especially in Colorado Springs!

Thanks, Amaryl

usfrph
08-23-2006, 03:35 AM
Our first vacation with DS as a 5 month old was in Colorado Springs. We brought a snap-n-go for his infant carrier and a hug-a-bub. For a 3 day trip I would probably just bring an umbrella stroller.

There's a paved trail at the Garden of the Gods where you can use your stroller. We also used a stroller sightseeing in downtown Manitou Springs. They didn't let us take it on the Pikes Peak Cog Rail but we didn't need it on top anyway.

You'll definitely need a carrier for Seven Falls (lots of steps!) and if you want to go hiking (we went to Mueller State Park).

Have fun!

amaryl02
08-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks so much! It sounds like I won't worry about lugging the big stroller (much as I love the P3) and I'll stick with an umbrella stroller plus sunshade and back carrier. It sounds like the carrier will be the most helpful.

Thanks for your input. Any other travelers with different opinions, please let me know!
Amaryl

kbudsberg
08-23-2006, 09:20 AM
I'm originally from CO Springs. I don't live there anymore but my parents do so we visit alot. The main trails of Garden of the Gods is paved. I haven't been to the zoo in years (pre-child) but what I remember is it has very, very steep hills. It is built on the side of Cheyenne mountain. It would be really hard to push any stroller but I think the umbrella would be really tough. The backpack or the P3 would probably be the best bet for the zoo. Although carrying a backpack w/a kid in it on the hills would be tough too. Just be ready for steep hills there. Most everything is very family/stroller friendly. I didn't realize they didn't allow strollers on the cog railroad but you wouldn't need it anyways. There is very little area to walk around on top of Pikes Peak. Manitou Springs and Old Colorado City both have fairly nicely paved sidewalks last time I was there (I don't do much tourists stuff there since I used to live there. I probably should next time.). That's all I can think of for now. Let me know if you have any other questions. Have fun. It is beautiful!

Kim

amaryl02
08-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks, Kim. I'm so excited about our visit!
Almost too late I realized our cheapie backpack isn't sturdy enough for dd anymore (it's been months since we used it), so I'm off to the consignment store to scout out some others! With universal design and wheelchair access, I realize most touristy places probably are stroller-friendly in the U.S. these days. But mountains are completely out of my experience!

Thanks so much for the advice. We'll have a great trip, I'm sure! (Now, if we can just get past the new airline rules so as not to dehydrate toddler and pregnant momma on the plane...)