PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here work part time in retail?

jess_g
08-23-2006, 09:02 AM
I am thinking of getting a job this year while my kids are in school, but I am not sure how to get started. I am thinking of applying to be a cashier at a place like Target. Should I just apply to a bunch of stores near me? What should I include on the applications? Should I include my college degrees and all of my work experience or just my most recent position (which was 3 years ago before I started staying home with the kids)? What do I say I do now? Do I say I am a stay at home mom on the application? Any advice would be great. I am just looking for something a few hours a day to earn a bit of extra money for my family.

Thanks,

Jessica.

boolady
08-23-2006, 09:11 AM
I worked retail part-time for many years both while working full-time and while in law school full-time. In my experience, it was best to put down as much information as I could about schooling, work experience, etc., because I was hired for the 2 retail jobs that I had that I really liked and stayed at for years on the spot, I think because they're happy to have people who have professional-type experience to hire. I never worked at Target, but I did work at a department store for a few years, and at one of the major bookstore retailers for a few years and really enjoyed both jobs. I don't see why you couldn't or shouldn't put that you are a stay-at-home mom right now. I worked with many part-timers who were stay-at-home moms during the day/week and worked nights/weekends with great success. Good luck!

Mommy Of A Little Angel
08-23-2006, 09:49 AM
I used to work retail when I was in college. I took at job at Baby Gap mainly because of the discount. You get a discount at all Gaps, Banana Republics, and Old Navys. I would try and find a place where the discount would save you some money. The hardest thing about finding a retail job is the hours. They are always looking for someone for nights and weekends, not so much days. I lucked out and applied right when most people had quit and gone back to school - I think it was around this time of year. They are really looking for people. Just tell them upfront what you can and can not work and never let them try to push you into hours you didn't sign up for. When you first sign all the paperwork, they usually have a chart to put in your availability and since they hired you on that, they can't make you work hours that are not within that time frame.

I would put your degrees on the paperwork - anything that can help you get an edge is great! When I got the job, it was the first place I walked into. If there is a manager there, ask to speak with them and they will probably give you an interview on the spot. (Really, if you don't talk to a manager while you are there, call and speak to one when they are available because sales associates are not always good at getting the application to the right place and you will never hear back.) I got the offer that evening! Really simple if they are looking to hire quickly!

HTH and good luck. Trust me the discount is fun and a little extra money is always a plus, especially around holidays. Oh, that said, make sure you request off any holidays that you can't work because it's retail and holidays are their prime time. Most have a calendar in the back room and they only allow the first few people who write it in to have the day off. Just something to keep in mind if you don't want to be working Christmas Eve!

maestramommy
08-23-2006, 12:12 PM
One of my sisters worked in retail for a number of years, and her last job was at Target. In spite of the odd hours she enjoyed it, said it had to be a much better working environment than Walmart, which made for a visibly better shopping experience (we shopped at both for a while).

BaileyBea
08-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Personally..... look for a part-time desk job before retail. Retail pays $7.50 per hour at most places and unless your are looking for a great discount at that particular store it's just not worth it IMHO. Because these retail associates work very very hard and are on their feet all day. They deal w/difficult people and I think there just has to be some perk w/a job like that. So if you are not in it for the discount then don't do it. The amount you earn is so small you are better off looking for a higher-end desk job that pays better.

I would list all my experience. Good retail stores hire those w/college degrees knowing it's Mom's going back to work or those working p/t looking for the discount. You don't have to say you are a SAHM on the app.

The Container Store pays very very well.. I think $13 per hour and they only hire those w/college degrees. Be on the lookout for the retail stores that pay better.

Please forgive my bluntness... I worked at William-Sonoma and loved it for the discount. The hours on my feet, the politics from a couple other employees, and the horrible customers.. well at times it just wasn't worth it Try to look for something in your field or related to your field first. That way when you do go back to work you have something to add to your resume that shows you haven't been totally out of the picture.

kep
08-23-2006, 09:21 PM
I just recently got a job at Hallmark, part-time. I pick my dh up from work @ 5pm, and he and Luke drive me a mile down the road to the store. They drop me off, and then pick me up @ 9:30 when I get off work. The work is nice, and the people I work with (and the customers I help) are all very kind. I miss Luke when I'm working, but I really don't miss cooking dinner, cleaning up the kitchen, dealing with the 5-7 pm meltdowns. ;)

I am only working around 20 hours a week, with no benefits, and I am certainly never going to get rich working there. But, I really enjoy it, and it's a nice break from the monotomy which can happen with being a stay@home mom.

I just listed my past jobs on the app, (which were all 3+ years ago, with a less than stellar last job that I had to leave due to a difficult pregnancy). I was basicly hired on the spot, and started work the next day.

Kelli
Proud Mommy to Lukey (4.2003)
And a new baby due Christmas Eve, 2006

http://bd.lilypie.com/8dPKm4/.png

Pregnant?? Come join your BB friends at BBB Preggo Pals ~~
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Preggo_Pals/index.php?s=621895e12695d794082

tiapam
08-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Have you thought about working for a municipal government? At least around here, some of them have part-time openings. Depending on the number of hours, you can even get some benefits. The pay would probably be better than retail. Libraries are another great place to find PT work. Some of them are a department of a local government, others are separate entities.

-Pam

DD - One year old!

amaryl02
08-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Some retail places do offer benefits to part-time employees, if that helps your decision. I don't remember which places, but Home Depot and Starbucks are examples. HTH

neeter
08-24-2006, 01:41 AM
I did retail while I was in college, and I enjoyed it. I found that working for the adult clothing stores, however, you are constantly folding clothes and cleaning up the dressing rooms. Working in a kids department is easier because people don't really have their kids try on clothes (unless its dressy clothes or something like that). Something to consider if you decide to apply at Target and you get a choice as to where you want to work. My experience (not at Target) is that stores get you to work the floor first, and then later you can become a cashier, but this may not be universal.

I did find, though, that in the long run I didn't really save alot of money. Being in the retail environment all the time, I was constantly "shopping". That plus the store discount, it was hard to resist buying! So I felt that my paycheck was just going back to the store. Just something to consider!

BeachBum
08-24-2006, 07:30 AM
Don't forget to consider small business! It may take a bit more "looking" around on your part since they aren't typically hiring several employees at once. Most will not advertise...just walk in and ask to speak to the manager or owner etc.

I think we pay pretty well, and treat our employees like family. We provide a lot of flexibility with scheduling etc.

There are certainly pros and cons to both situations, but I just want to mention small businesses since no one else did. :)