PDA

View Full Version : MOVING - how do I figure out how many boxes I need?

deenass
08-23-2006, 12:58 PM
We have the opportunity to get moving box for very little $ (possibly free) through a contact of my BIL, but I have no idea how many we will need. I would hate to not get enough and having to pay for more.

We have the equivilant of a 4 bedroom house.

tny915
08-23-2006, 02:48 PM
You could look at some moving box sites and see what they offer as packages, then buy according to their guidelines. Here's one:

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_7907.asp

I'd advise that whatever you end up deciding to buy, buy a bit more than that amount. I had piles and piles of boxes of all sizes that I was able to get used and thought there was no way we'd ever need them all. We ended up using all but a few of them.

Good luck with your move!

rockchick15
08-23-2006, 03:00 PM
we underestimated with our last move and wound up having to get sooo many in a pinch! We had a 3 bedroom townhouse and a storage unit and ended up needing something like 10 per room, plus more for clothing, about 5-6 per person, which there are 5 of us. So, probably about 100 boxes of all different sizes, some pretty small. And don't forget the packing tape and bubble wrap. We needed 3 boxes of bubble wrap and about 6 rolls of packing tape.

Momof3Labs
08-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Well, from experience, 2-3 times what you think you will need, lol! I sent DH back a couple of times to get more boxes when we moved last year. For cheap to free, I'd suggest getting as many as you can!

KrisM
08-23-2006, 08:04 PM
I moved a year ago, with just 1 kid. I had a 3 bedroom house with a garage, shed, and basement. I used about 200 boxes, total. We had about 30 boxes of books, 10 wardrobe boxes, 2 dishpack boxes. Then, we used lots of both small and medium sized boxes from Home Depot. We didn't use as many large boxes because they just got too heavy too fast. And, I put everything in a box. One small box only contained a toaster oven, for example.

Get a ton, if they're cheap or free and if you don't use them, who cares!

Also, I recommend the packing paper (newsprint) that you can buy. It was great for packing dishes and other breakables.

bchafin
08-23-2006, 09:24 PM
I agree, get as many as you can lay your hands on! I have gone through a ton. One suggestion if you need more, check a local retail store. I work in retail and after the shipment is processed, I cart the boxes away. It saves having to throw them away (I hate trash runs.) Just ask when they receive shipments and get them processed and ask them to keep some nice sized boxes for you. I know I would do it if asked. My only stipulation would be that you'd have to come and pick them up soon after we were done processing (I hate a messy back room).

Good luck!
Barb

egoldber
08-23-2006, 09:43 PM
I would say at least 200 (assuming you also have a garage and storage rooms).