PDA

View Full Version : OT & dumb: Do you swear by your deodorant?

ShanaMama
08-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Here is a dumb question for some comic relief. I want to switch to a new deodorant, but don't want to try every one in the store. Till now I used ARRID, which I used to love, but lately have been very annoyed with. (Not covering me for the whole day, & leaving wet marks on underarms.) I recently found Speed Stick on sale, & I like the scent & coverage, but not the spray.
My requirements are spray, smells good, doesn't mark up my shirts, and lasts all day. (I work in an office, not running marathons here, but my coworkers for some reason hate A/C!) Is that too much to ask for?
I have become so used to researching every purchase to death, I decided to pick the brains of all you educated consumers to help me out. Thanks!
PS- DH used Right Guard & I can't stand it, so don't even think of suggesting that . ;)

karolyp
08-23-2006, 07:28 PM
I just love Degree, in the shower clean smell. And I have used it for years and years. It lasts all day for me, but the only thing bad about it is that it does markup my shirts.

Anyhow, good luck in your quest ;) and I hope this helps!

newmomto3kids
08-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Interesting, I have recently found that my Arrid is not working as well either. I wonder if they switched the formula?
Hmmm...I will be watching this thread.

BaileyBea
08-23-2006, 07:43 PM
I haven't found anything that works well since I had a baby. I use Secret but since having DS nothing works really great anymore.

I dunno what it is. I too am looking for something that will work well for a hormonally changing BFing Mom.

kimbe
08-23-2006, 07:46 PM
ME EITHER! Sorry to yell, but I am so tired of smelling! I was soooo happy to see your post. I have tried every deoderant out there! Why do we stink after having kids??? I am just happy to know that I am not the only one!!! :)

Momof3Labs
08-23-2006, 08:08 PM
I had to switch deodorants after have DS1 - Degree just seemed to stop working for me! I now use Dove, and it seems to be okay.

BaileyBea
08-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Amen SISTER! ;-) I am constantly changing my shirts every day and using powder to smell better. I didn't want to use perfume while BFing.. and that Fenugreek made me crave Pancakes... since I already smelled like maple syrup. Ha ha!

MeAndMyStar
08-23-2006, 09:10 PM
I use a spray deodorant that I really like. It's actually just mineral salts mixed with water, I buy it at GNC but I've seen it other places too. It's not an antiperspirant and I always thought I would need one, but even working as a cook in 90 degree heat I didn't even really miss the "antiperspirant" part (could be just me, though). It really does stop odor completely. DHs socks used to reek but since he's been using the spray on his feet...no smell. This stuff is that good!

I started using this for when I was pg and bf because it seemed safer, no perfumes or anything to irritate baby, and have not gone back to regular stuff. You should check it out, you may be pleasantly surprised like I was!;-)

-Sarah

JulieL
08-23-2006, 09:27 PM
I got the new non show (or whatever it's called) Dove deodorant, it's HORRIBLE! I use Degree, it seems to work best - it's not a spray though

american_mama
08-23-2006, 09:47 PM
I swear by unscented Dry Idea Roll On (not the stick). It has worked for me for years. It dries quickly, so I don't get that sticky/wet in the armpits feeling. It sometimes leaves a mark on my clothes, but not usually. Not a spray, but this may help the others who are following this thread.

g-mama
08-23-2006, 09:53 PM
My body chemistry also really changed throughout my pregnancies and
left me struggling to find a deodorant that really worked for me.

My favorite that I've been using for a few months now is Mitchum unscented clear gel. I never really like the scented ones, no matter what the scent, because I smell it all day and it gets on my nerves. I'm not a perfumey type and I don't want my deodorant to make me smell like anything other than NOT body odor.

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

DebbieJ
08-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Dove stopped working for me, so now I'm using Secret and I'm finding I need a better anti-perspirant! I didn't realize that I inherited my mom's sweat glands. YUCK!

Maybe I'll try Degree next.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

chiqanita
08-23-2006, 11:10 PM
I stink too! DH tells me to scrub better...ha ha.
Since I had the twins I've used Arm & Hammer, Secret, and Dove...al solids.
I'm going to try that mineral spray from GNC this weekend because I'm tired of being stinky!

bubbaray
08-23-2006, 11:16 PM
I use a different antipersperant daily -- always have 3 or more that I rotate through, never using the same one 2 days in a row. Currently, I have Dove solid, Degree solid, Degree cream, and Lady Speed Stick solid. The rotation plan seems to work the best for me. On stressful days, I use the Degree cream, it lasts the longest.

Good luck!

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/fYrCm7.png

s7714
08-23-2006, 11:51 PM
I couldn't find a deodarant that worked for me after my first DD was born, so I switched to a Crystal deodorant stick: www.thecrystal.com and have been using them ever since. I managed to convert my DH into using them too, and happily have not had to deal with crusty deodorant build up on his t-shirts anymore. (FWIW, the cheapest place I've found them is at Trader Joes.)

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
(100 posts & BBB member for 3 months req'd)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

jillc
08-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Me, too! I was very skeptical about trying this, esp since I am always hot & we live in the desert. Deodorant was always a big issue. But I gave it a shot b/c it isn't full of chemicals, etc. And I am amazed that it works! I also use a spritz of distilled water with some lavender oil in it for a light fragrance, just b/c it was strange to me to smell totally unscented.

MeAndMyStar
08-23-2006, 11:59 PM
Yay! The spray on that website is similar to the one I use. I can't reccomend the stuff more highly. I'm sure the ingredients of the crystal are the same, but I find the spray is good for feet too, no more stinky sandal feet!

-Sarah

calv
08-24-2006, 05:44 AM
I've used mitchem for years.

Momof3Labs
08-24-2006, 07:47 AM
>I got the new non show (or whatever it's called) Dove
>deodorant, it's HORRIBLE! I use Degree, it seems to work best
>- it's not a spray though

The Dove works for me, sorry that you don't like it.

boolady
08-24-2006, 08:28 AM
I also love the Dove solid...in scent Original Clean. It does its job for me, but doesn't have such a perfumy scent that it conflicts with hairspray or perfume or makeup scents.

s7714
08-24-2006, 10:53 AM
I've been thinking I might try the spray or roll-on next time, so I'm glad to know the sprays work. I'll have to check out the version GNC sells too!

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

crayonblue
08-24-2006, 11:17 AM
I used Arrid until after having Lauren and then I've been using whatever DH buys because Arrid doesn't work. (He buys in bulk because he hates shopping and if something is on sale, he buys 20 of it!) I've found that men's antiperspirant/deodorant really does work better. (strong enough for a man, I guess!)

Sort of on topic: DH works on the software side of Botox for medical conditions and if sweating is bad enough (hyperhidrosis), most insurances will pay for Botox injections. Without insurance, the cost is in the $1000s per year so it's good that insurances are now paying. This is a last resort as insurances don't like to pay until everything else has proven insufficient.

ShanaMama
08-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Wow! What a response this thread got! Who woulda thunk it.
Thanks for all your input, everyone.
It looks like Degree got the most votes, & although it's not a spray I might try it. I did see one that smelled very nice, but didn't want to buy it without knowing if it would work at all. (cheap me)
Funny, it never occured to me that my body chemistry changed after pregnancy & birth- although everything else about my body changed, so I should've realized.

sadie_beth_1124
08-24-2006, 12:00 PM
I want to give a shout to Soft N Dri spray. I'm not loving it lately, but NOTHING works! I hate the smell of the men's Degree I just bought. Makes it hard to tell if it works or not... Texas sucks. Too hot!!

JFC
08-24-2006, 01:24 PM
What a great thread! It is nice to know I'm not alone on the deodorant search.

Degree solid worked well for me, but it RUINED several shirts. The armpit areas turned PINK after I washed them - I don't know why, but I called Degree to complain and got no where, so... no more Degree for me.

I've gone back to Secret, but think I'm going to give the mineral spray from GNC a try - that sounds great! thanks!

new_mommy25
08-24-2006, 01:52 PM
I've used Secret solid for years and years, since I started wearing deodarant. I have tried other brands before but I always go back to secret.

babymama
08-24-2006, 04:16 PM
It must be all the running around we do to make baby happy. To answer the OP's question...I use lady speed stick (invisible dry, I think it's called). I don't like the spray kind, so this may not help you at all, but I love lady speed stick. I've been using for the same kind since college (over 10 years).

Also, I went through a body crystal phase in college. Those things don't work.

Lydia
Mama to 2 sweet babies

Oh what fun it is to potty train & BF at the same time!

marie
08-24-2006, 09:03 PM
I can't believe the timing of this post - I just finished a testing of the six deodorants/anti-perspirants in my arsenal and none passed. I considered asking about this problem here myself but was a bit embarassed and also am pretty much a shy lurker. . .

Anyway, I did some searching on the internet and found these two articles interesting:

http://www.oprah.com/health/beauty/health_beauty_200406_antiperspirant.jhtml

http://www.slate.com/id/95549/

unfortunately, some of the graphics in the slate article cover up some of the text but you get enough of it. after reading them both, i went out and bought secret platinum protection last night. not a single drop of sweat has appeared under my arms. that's very impressive considering that the A/C in our car isn't working AND i just got home from the gym.

it's actually a little unnerving that it can stop the sweat completely. i think i'll use it during the warm weather only. . .

and the brands that didn't work for me:
Conventional - Degree solid, Ban solid, Adidas solid
"Crunchy" - Burt's Bees spray, Alba clear gel stick (with TTO), Tom's clear gel stick

I tried the crystal spray a few years ago and i didn't like the wet feeling it left me with.

Oh - the other thing i had to start doing this summer is pre-soaking the underarm area of my t-shirts with white vinegar before putting them in the wash. it's the only thing that (mostly) eliminates the smell from my clothes. i hate that my shirts come out of the wash smelling just as bad as when they went in - it's like getting out of the shower and being stinky before you even get your clothes on. . .

i realize i didn't directly address your spray question but the articles do talk about/rate the crystal stuff.

s7714
08-24-2006, 11:10 PM
>I'm going to try that mineral spray from GNC this weekend
>because I'm tired of being stinky!

FWIW, it took my DH a couple weeks to get good results when he switched to the mineral deodorant. He kept saying he had to have a antiperspirant because the deodorant alone wasn't cutting it. I don't know if his body adjusted or what, but after a couple weeks of using it he actually was sweating less. I never had a problem when I switched though.

It might be different with a spray on, but I thought I'd mention it! ;)

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

ribbit1019
08-24-2006, 11:20 PM
This is EXACTLY what happened to me! I had Maddy and had to switch from Degree which I had used for years. Well I switched to what Costco carried, Dove, and it is working well for me so far!

Christy
My Waterbabies
http://b3.lilypie.com/uVw3m4/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/tbvhm4/.png
http://www.tickercentral.com/view/172x/6.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif