PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo for Eczema?

tarynsmum
08-23-2006, 08:06 PM
I am at my wit's end with DD's excema lately. Right now, the back of DD's head is super flaky, and there are a couple spots that look like a scrape (like when you have really dry skin and your skin cracks). She has a good bit of hair, and I don't know what to do, since I can't very well put lotion on her head. She's also learned how to scratch her head (which would look really cute if I wasn't afraid of her ripping her scalp open by a stray fingernail).

When she was "diagnosed" with eczema around 4 months she had a lovely case of cradle cap, so I didn't think to ask the derm. what to do about her itchy head. We've used the Neutrogena T-gel for her cradle cap (which went away over a month ago), but I think it's too strong for an every day shampoo. We've been using the Aveeno shampoo since she was about 4 months old, but now I think it isn't really helping her little head.

What should I use?

barbarhow
08-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Best cure for eczema I have ever heard of and used is Evening Primrose Oil. Puncture the little capsule and squeeze out the oil. Put that on the area twice a day for a couple of days. Jack's huge areas on his back were cleared up within 3 days. Your DD's hair will be kind of greasy for a couple of days but so worth it in the long run. HTH
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

happy2bamom
08-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Our ped has us use Selsun Blue (not sure if I am spelling that correctly). It wasn't a quick fix, but it did finally clear-up. It was used everytime we washed DS hair.

jhrabosk
08-24-2006, 03:12 PM
We used California Baby tea tree and lavender for DD's cradle cap and I believe it's good for eczema, too. Another option is Dr. Bronner's...just be careful to keep it out of her eyes! :)

Good luck!

anamika
08-24-2006, 05:53 PM
We use CA Baby tea tree oil shampoo and the calming conditioner. DD has *severe* eczema. The CA baby products really helped with her cradle cap. Nothing else I have used before including oil/combing out, Aveeno, Head and shoulders, Burt's bees etc have worked.
And the CB products smell delightful too.
HTH,

DrSally
08-25-2006, 08:29 AM
My DH has Eczema and he takes these caps orally. They have been proven to work for Eczema actually. I like the idea of rubbing it on baby. I think I will try that for my DS who, unfortunately, seems to have inherited this from DH. Is this OK for kids?

crayonblue
08-25-2006, 09:33 AM
I'm going to try this. Lauren has eczema on her stomach. Where can I buy evening primrose oil? Whole Foods?

crayonblue
08-25-2006, 09:33 AM
I'm going to try this. Lauren has eczema on her stomach. Where can I buy evening primrose oil? Whole Foods?