PDA

View Full Version : Advice on hospital slippers and Pelvic Separation

BaileyBea
08-25-2006, 09:22 PM
I have 10 days to go till DD's due date. I still need to get slippers for my hospital bag.

1) Good comfy slippers for the hospital that will accomodate a Post-birth's Moms swollen feet. Any ideas...

I have some Karen Neuberger Socks but they are way to hot for the hospital this time of year. I would like to go buy something Sat. morning w/o having to go to 5-6 stores. Especially since I can barely walk right now.

2) Saw the Dr. this week and I do have Pelvic Separation. When he pressed on my pelvis, sacrum and hip joint I cried in pain. I've been dealing w/it w/Tylenol. I am going to go see an alternative massage therapist next week. But wondering if there is something else I can do or what I should expect during birth recovery.

I talked to my Dr. about this but he's "Mr. Rogers" happy laid-back guy who didn't think it was a big deal. I had a very hard recovery after DS birth and I just want to know what to expect. I am afraid I am going to have to hire a post-partum doula. DH is concerned because right now I am having problems lifting our 28 lb son. By 4 pm or so I can barely walk.

TIA.... I hope everyone is doing better today after a rough start on the board this morning.

table4three
08-25-2006, 10:23 PM
As far as slippers -
I wore my addidas sandals with the adjustable velcro with was perfect, particularly since i was doing a lot of walking afterward to go see ds.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000FF3ZL6.01-A1HHNK9O9KHPAW._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V60035170_.jpg

i don't have any personal experience with pelvic separation. i hope someone can give you some insight about that.

Good luck!!!

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

jgriffin
08-26-2006, 12:15 AM
I had cheap Ikea slippers for the hospital (and an extra pair in my bag for DH in case it was a long labor). They weren't *super* comfy, but they were definitely accomodating, and I didn't feel bad about tossing them afterwards ('cause who wants to wear slippers that have been all over a hospital?) I had red ones, in case I got, um, messy. :)

No advice on the pelvic separation, sorry!

Jen

BaileyBea
08-26-2006, 12:17 AM
Oh yes.. those are nice. Excellent idea w/the velcro I can adjust for my soon to be elephant feet. I'll be on the look out tomorrow. DH agreed to drive me around to the stores tomorrow and he hates shopping. But I need him to spot me just in case I fall.

Yes, I am up taking more Tylenol so I can sleep and get into my bed. 15 more minutes and it should kick in......

Thanks!

Marisa6826
08-26-2006, 12:32 AM
I've seen these Adidas ones at Marshalls. I don't know what size feet you have, but you might want to look in the mens' dept to find extra wide ones. If you're not up for the task of shopping, just order them from Zappos. They're usually there within 24 hours. Really!

I have wool Haflinger ones, but my feet got so huge, they didn't fit. DEFINITELY wear slippers in your room.

Both times I delivered, I got pieces of broken glass (!) in my feet within hours of arriving. NOT nice at all! It seems that the previous 'residents' broke vases and didn't do a good job of mentioning it to housekeeping.

No suggestions about pelvic separation, but I believe that Lori (momof3labs) had it pretty badly, and had to be readmitted.

-m

BaileyBea
08-26-2006, 12:36 AM
I am glad I am not the only one who is a germaphobe about the hospital floors.

;-)

I even told DH what shoes to put DS in and that I wanted them washed off w/Purell the minute he left the hospital after meeting w/DD.

Red slippers... hadn't thought of that. Good idea.

Momof3Labs
08-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Pelvic separation sucks. I was 100% bedridden (bedpans and all) for 3-4 days after DS2 was born, and had limited mobility (getting up for the bathroom only) for another week or so. I spent about 3 weeks total postpartum on almost complete bedrest. DH hadn't planned time off after DS2's birth but ended up taking 3 weeks of FMLA to stay home with us, and that was barely enough for me.

The thing that helped me most was a chiropractor. I tried physical therapy (sorry, but massage won't help much IMO) and wasn't impressed with the results, so just see my chiropractor as needed. Now, I only go about once every 4-6 weeks, but I also limit my lifting to about 15-20lbs MAX and have to be careful that I don't sit for long periods without getting up and walking around.

I have to run, but LMK if you have more questions!

Ceepa
08-26-2006, 07:06 PM
LOL!

Thought it was just me. I ended up just wearing the hospital socks and it was fine because they ended up being tossed after getting some blood spots on them (sorry, I know. Ewww.)

-Ceepa

hudsonam
08-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Just an FYI about these, IME, and my husband's too, it takes some breaking in before these shoes don't hurt your feet. The nubby things kind of hurt until you get used to them. At least, that's how it was for both of us. I found a pair of nice slippers at a Kohls type of store. JC Penney is also a good place to find a big selection, as well as Sears I think.

Good luck with everything!