PDA

View Full Version : Would you send your kid to preschool with a cough and runny nose?

crl
08-25-2006, 11:29 PM
DS is supposed to start his new preschool on Monday. He has a cold. He got sick the middle of last week. He has not had a fever, and has played, slept and eaten the whole time. His nose is runny (clear, not green or yellow) and he has an occasional cough. I'm not concerned about him. I'm sure it's just a mild cold. And I can't imagine he's contagious at this point.

The school's written policy says kids should not be sent in sick, and then lists symptoms like fever and vomiting (no mention of runny nose or cough).

So, I guess I'm leaning towards sending him. (Not that it should matter, but I jumped through a lot of bureaucratic hoops to get his paperwork done for the first day of school on Monday. And I've told him he's going on Monday--he's been asking about school and is really looking forward to it).

If I'm lucky, the cough and runny nose will disappear over the weekend. But if not, what would you do under these circumstances?

JustMe
08-25-2006, 11:40 PM
I would. I say this as a mom of a preschool age child and as someone who has worked in a preschool. Kids get runny noses and coughs so often that I have joked with co-workers that preschools would have no kids to serve if children with those type of symptoms stay home.

Yes, it is the fever, diaherea (okay, I can never spell that word), vomiting, lethargy, kids just not seeming themselves, not playing, crying a lot, etc that most preschools are talking about when they say sick.

Of course, some will disagree with me and say he can still spread it to other children...but IMHO, it is perfectly fine to send him.

Robyn
mommy to a 3 yr old from Guatemala

buddyleebaby
08-25-2006, 11:48 PM
I would send him if he has the ability to clean his nose on his own, and if I was quite sure that his cough was not contagious to other children.
There is a difference between a child having a mild cold and running every now and again to get a tissue, and a child wiping his nose on his hand, sleeve, etc, or just walking around with gunk on his face, imo.
Here's hoping it clears up so you don't have to worry about it.

lisams
08-26-2006, 12:38 AM
If there's no fever and no gunky green or yellow nose I would. Kid's coughs can last long after a cold. Perhaps try to remind him to cover his cough with his arm if he's old enough. If the cough gets worse or more frequent then I think I'd keep him home.

Hope he's feeling good for the big first day!

egoldber
08-26-2006, 06:10 AM
I would send him.

Tondi G
08-26-2006, 05:16 PM
If his symptoms are mild... ie the occasional running of his nose and the occasional cough then He is probably ok to go! From what I understand, a cold is MOST contagious in the first few days but as long as there are symptoms (coughing, sneezing, runny nose) they can still pass on the germs!

this site was helpful!
http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/cold.html

Colds are most contagious during the first 2 to 4 days after symptoms appear, and may be contagious for up to 3 weeks. Your can catch a cold from person-to-person contact or by breathing in virus particles that are spread through the air by sneezing or coughing. Touching the mouth or nose after touching skin or another surface contaminated with a rhinovirus can also spread a cold.

Hopefully the runny nose will subside before Monday and the occasional cough will be ok!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

sadie427
08-26-2006, 06:17 PM
The cough often lingers a long time after a cold and is not so much from the virus but from remaining reactivity in the airways. I also agree the runny nose is ok as long as it's pretty mild and not hard to keep dry. A new cold, fever, diarrhea, or any sickness with behavior change keep DS home.

crl
08-26-2006, 11:45 PM
Thank you! He's improved but still has a slightly runny nose and coughs a bit. Assuming he's no worse (and hopefully better), I plan to send him to school on Monday.