PDA

View Full Version : Fun thread: based on your child's current talents,

kijip
08-26-2006, 08:57 PM
what career do you see for them as an adult? Obviously none of us knows, but what do you speculate based on your child's personality?

Toby is going to make a great negotiator someday. So perhaps he will be a diplomat, an arbitrator or some sort of contract negotiator. Or a ticket scalper. ;)

Every chance he gets he comes back with a second offer. Not that I listen to the second offers but he just keep throwing them at me.

"Toby, we are going to pick up these books for you."

"Wait, mama! I will pick up all the books by myself but I get to keep these 4 out"

"Toby it is time for dinner"

"Well, I will come to the table if I can bring this train with me"

"It is time to leave the park"

"Ok, but we are going to stop at the store on the way home, mama"

"No, we are not stopping at the store today"

"If we don't go to the store can we stay longer at the park?"

"No, we are leaving the park now"

"Well, maybe we go to the store tomorrow, then" he announces hopefully.

And is favorite sentance is "How about tomorrow?!"

He also takes great care dole out things in what he sees as equal portions.

SpaceGal
08-26-2006, 09:16 PM
My DS will be a professional stuntman. He falls so well and catches himself he hardly ever hurts himself or cries. But when he does you know it's bad. I even got him that "I do all my own stunts" shirt because it's so true. Even people that meet him are like wow he's good at falling.

As long as he does the big budget movies we're all set...unless he's an actor that does all his own stunts. :) Acting is possible since he's also a major ham.

niccig
08-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Engineer
As soon as he gets something new, he turns it over and looks at it from every angle like he is trying to see how it works.

or

Racing Car Driver
He's soooo obsessed with cars and with his toy ride-on car. It was his first word too. My dad is loving it, as he had 3 girls none of whom have any interest in cars.

Nicci

pb&j
08-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Competitive eater.

And if that doesn't work out, he'll just get by on his good looks and charm.

;)

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34550.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

trumansmom
08-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Truman will be an astronaut and explore space. He's been on the move since the minute he was born, and one planet may just be too darn limiting!

Eleanor was born a happy baby, content with the way things are. When she was about a year old I predicted she would meet a nice South Dakota farmboy, get married, become a teacher or nurse or some other nurturing career, and live within 10 miles of the town where she was born. The only thing that makes me question this is that she is such a little fashionista. South Dakota isn't known for its cutting edge fashion, so she may have to move to Minneapolis/St. Paul, about 300 miles away. :P But she'll still come home to visit a lot. I have to have one of my kiddos near!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

megs4413
08-26-2006, 10:55 PM
DD's going to be on broadway. She was a dancer even inside my belly and now she knows how to sing "do-re-mi". Ever since she's been able to walk, she's done more dancing than walking...when I go into her room in the morning, she greets me with "hi" and then shakes her booty to her own morning "serenade"...it's nice to be greeted with a song and dance!

kijip
08-26-2006, 11:04 PM
>Truman will be an astronaut and explore space. He's been on
>the move since the minute he was born, and one planet may just
>be too darn limiting!

Truman is a great name for an astronaut!

>When she was about a year old I predicted she would meet
>a nice South Dakota farmboy, get married, become a teacher or
>nurse or some other nurturing career, and live within 10 miles
>of the town where she was born. The only thing that makes me
>question this is that she is such a little fashionista.

Sounds like her mommy, married a SD farmboy and loves fashion! And you work/ed helping people. :)

bcky2
08-26-2006, 11:27 PM
well my dh says that they are going to be union workers because after 5 mins of work they want to take a break.

i can see my older ds getting into something where he works with his hands. he loves to take things apart and put them back together. my poor house, every day i find something else he has "redone"

my younger ds is going to be my computer, technical guru. he is in love with my computer and other such items around the house.

Saartje
08-26-2006, 11:35 PM
An engineer or physicist of some kind. The kid has been fascinated with how things work (in particular, how they move) since well before he turned one. For a long time he was fixated on things that rolled (wheels, balls, drinking glasses turned on their sides...), but now he's branched out to other kinds of motion, like springs. He's also big on how things fit together even if they're not moving, and has made some intricate mandala-like shapes on the floor with his blocks, just lining them up to make a mosaic of sorts.

Based on his current personality and interests, he'll probably get that engineering/physics/whatever degree on an athletics scholarship of some kind. Or put himself through school working as an acrobat; he's already turning somersaults.

sidmand
08-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Is there a job as a professional pie eating contestant? DS has been eating things off his highchair (and the floor) with no hands! Just his mouth. I've said many times that I see a pie eating contest in his future!

Other than that he does like to poke at every button he sees and examine things thoroughly. Every time he pokes a button though it reminds me of my Dad who says he was about 12, in a store with his older sister and found a lifeboat that was pressurized into a small little package with a button that said "press here." He held onto it as he walked around the store pressing harder and harder until...the lifeboat expanded! His sister was mortified. So I see that in DS's future too. Not sure there's a profession there though.

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

kath68
08-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Ditch digger.

That kid can spot a front loader from a mile away.

maestramommy
08-26-2006, 11:44 PM
Well, it's early days yet, but Dora is darned persistent when she's trying to get or doing something that's simple in concept, but requires either some ingenuity or repeated attempts. I found out watching her during her attempts that her fingers/hand are also rather dexterous. I thought it was just me the proud mother, but a friend who has a ds the same age say, no, her hands are really coordinated.

The other thing I just saw this week concerns one of her toys, a Mozart Cube. It plays 5 different Mozart tunes. Each panel is a different instrument playing a different part of the tune, and if you press the orchestra panel, all the parts play. It's a rather sophisticated toy. Just yesterday I noticed that Dora knows which panel is the orchestra panel. If she hits a flute panel, and gets only the flute sound, she turns it off (just press again), and rolls the cube around until she finds the orchestra panel. When she gets a tune she likes she starts grinning and bouncing up and down. I thought she wouldn't figure out the panels for at least another year. But maybe this is something any almost 1 year old can figure out?

So, maybe she'll be a musician? Or a dentist? Surgeon? Auto mechanic?

julieakc
08-26-2006, 11:55 PM
Hmmm...at this point DS is bound to be a be an editor or librarian as he LOVES books...and not just kids books....he is just as likely to be found "reading" the dictionary, one of my boring insurance books, etc. as he is to be seen "reading" a Dr. Suess book!

Alternatively he could be one of those home organizer people like on Clean Sweep; he can empty a drawer in the time it takes you to turn around and has always loved container play.

katiesmommy
08-27-2006, 01:32 AM
Based as of right now, Katie would be a singer/dancer.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
08-27-2006, 02:36 AM
Cute thread!

Avi LOVES performing for people, singing for them and doing things that will make everyone clap for him, so maybe he will go into acting or as a singer/magician/have a comedy show of some sort.

He also loves basketball and baseball, so maybe he will go into a sports profession.

ETA:
Oops, i forgot about avi's love of the piano/drum.

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/060826/Fsm6.jpg[/img]http://b2.lilypie.com/alzym7/.png[/img][/url]

ellies mom
08-27-2006, 03:49 AM
Ellie is either going to be a make-up artist or involved with robotics.

She is completely obsessed with playing with my make-up. If she isn't putting it on herself and I might add she is getting pretty good with lip and eye liner, she is trying to put lipstick on her sleeping daddy

She is also totally into robots. She just loves them.

And Katie, Toby sounds so cute. Ellie is learning to work the "maybe tomorrow" line too.

daniele_ut
08-27-2006, 08:44 AM
Based on his continuing obsession with wheels in particular and cars in general, I think he has a solid future working in the automotive industry.

Of course, given his other love, Little Einsteins, he could just as easily follow in dad's footsteps and become an orchestra conductor!

deenass
08-27-2006, 09:28 AM
regardless of my son's personality, he has steadfastly clung to his intent to become a "good daddy and a knee doctor". Either or both sound good to me!

mudder17
08-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Engineer for sure. She seems to analyze a lot of her toys and prefer to see how to take them apart and put them back together rather than play them in the "intended" fashion. She's very manually dextrous and has been so for a long time.

Actually, now that I think about it, she's going to be an Engineer with a closet full of shoes--she's always wanting to wear her playmates' shoes! ;)

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 29 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

Saartje
08-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Eileen, we've really got to get Kaya and Ishy together again sometime. Sounds like they play the same way, and Ish would be delighted with the shoe trading, too! :D

mommy_someday
08-27-2006, 03:18 PM
I think Luke might be a urologist. His favorite thing to do lately is to squeeze his equipment, wave at it and cheerfully say, "Hi, pee-pee!" <shrug>

jayali
08-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Based on his obsession with Church I would say that Matthew will be a priest, which really has me very concerned. I am hoping the obsession is because of the music and will end up with a musician in the family. Anything but a priest!!!!

kath68
08-27-2006, 04:08 PM
LOL!

Oh, my!

elliput
08-27-2006, 04:22 PM
ROFL! He will most likely be very successful. :-)

elliput
08-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Geologist. DD spend most of the day yesterday picking up handfuls of dirt and rocks.

mudder17
08-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Cool! She would LOVE to swap shoes with him! Just give them a pile of Lego and each other's shoes and they'd probably play for hours together. :)

ETA: Oh, and I don't know about Ishie, but Kaya is no longer taking naps...

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 30 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

buddyleebaby
08-27-2006, 06:41 PM
Uh-oh!
My father had his uncle build him an "altar" and made his aunt pretend to be receiving first communion.
He DID end up a Priest, and all have his friends seem to have had similar games as children.

Saartje
08-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Yep, that sums it up!

Thankfully, Ishy is still taking good long naps.

karolyp
08-27-2006, 08:15 PM
DD might be a pilot perhaps? Whenever we're outside and a plane flies by, she screams and points at it! Even if were inside and she hears it, she'll run to the window pointing! The only thing is that she calls them, "jid -daw." Where she got that I have no idea???

HHCs Mom
08-27-2006, 08:33 PM
President or a politician of some sort. Harrison will talk to anyone, especially strangers. He flirts and waves his way through the grocery store. Loves to talk to random people, especially old people. DH and I are not excited about the possibility of his being President (such a hard job!) but would like to stay at the White House a time or two. ;)

Kim
~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ 4.6.04

crayonblue
08-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Hip Hop dancer? Lauren's current talent is "shaking her booty" as she puts it.

ETA: Entirely my fault as I let her watch So You Think You Can Dance? this season.

Corie
08-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Lana,

Carson is currently taking a Hip Hop class for 4- and 5-year-
olds. She loves "shaking her booty". She calls it her
Booty Dance.

My husband keeps telling me, "Let's keep her off the pole!"

Maybe that will be her future profession??? :)

lmintzer
08-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Haven't posted in a little bit--we're out of town--hi all!

Jack says he wants to be an artist when he grows up. He actually draws and colors very well for a 5 year-old boy. DH and I like to say he gets his talent from his babysitters, lol. Neither one of us can draw!

I could see him as some kind of politician/negotiator/lawyer. He's very verbal and LOVES to talk. ALL of the time! We sometimes call him the human filibuster!

Joshua, well, he's kind of little, but as of right now, I'd say structural engineer. He loves bridges. He's constantly saying, "Over the bridge" or "Cross the bridge" every time we walk by/drive over anything that even remotely resembles a bridge. He's also got very good fine motor skills for his age, so maybe engineering (like his Papa) is his calling.

I could also see both of my boys doing something with music. They sing almost as much as they talk--when they aren't talking, they are singing to themselves or together with us.

LisaMom2Allie
08-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Currently-a lawyer or politician(President maybe?) because she can look you right in the eye and fib(I say fib because it is small things like "Allie what do you have in your mouth" her answer nothing when there IS something-"Allie did you pick up your dolls?" answers "yes" when she has not-not terrible things yet)
However, I am sure this is just another phase and it too shall pass to some extent.

She could give Clinton(and I did/do like him) a run for his money!

Lisa
Mom to Allie Nicole
3-10-03

millerpjm
08-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Great thread!

DS at 3 years old has a couple of possibilities based on current interests...

1. Guitarist - he loves his toy guitars (he has 2) and will put them on and strum to music!

2. Drummer - Grandma has a drum (I refuse to get one for now but may have to relent) and he will be his own marching band all around the room!

3. Soccer star - He loves kicking around his soccer ball. If anyone has seen the Backyardigans "Soccer Monster" episode (can't remember the real name) you know what I mean!

Jen

KBecks
08-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Alek will be a politician - his favorite part of church is the sign of peace and he loves shaking hands. On Sat, he went down the entire pew to shake everyone's hands. He also makes eye contact and "flirts" with people in church, trying to keep people's attention on him.

Otherwise, Alek will be a wrestler. He is extremely strong and squirmy. He has a good arch when trying to avoid the car seat. He also knows to lift his arms above his head to make it harder for me to pick him up, and he loves playing rough and tumble with me and daddy.

John, we don't know yet.

KBecks
08-28-2006, 08:03 AM
our archbishop used to play mass as a kid too

crayonblue
08-28-2006, 09:06 AM
Yes, keep her off the pole!

Lauren is taking a ballet/tap class this fall for 2 and 3 year olds. This is her first class as I have resisted signing her up for stuff! But, she is not in preschool this year so I thought dance would be fun. I think she will love it!

kboyle
08-28-2006, 11:28 AM
cute thread, i have to go back and read everyone's responses, here are mine:

max will definately be the laid back hippy chef...1)he's all about eating!! 2) he knows what tastes he doesn't like, but if you add or take something away, it changes the whole dish 3) i can just tell, he'll be the laid back liberal hippy, i can just see it!

charlie will be either 1) inheriting the family landscaping business, which is good since he loves to watch his "guys" mow the lawn every week 2)totally into mechanical stuff and watching daddy fix the machinery 3)loves loaders/bulldozers etc.

OR, he'll be a chef first, either way, one of them will be a chef, my dad said he's pay full college tuition for 1 of my boys to be a chef...which i'm cool with, no tuition & free meals!

kijip
08-28-2006, 01:16 PM
>our archbishop used to play mass as a kid too

I used to play mass too. Then sometime after age 7 and before age 10 it dawned on me that I was not going to grow up to be a man, a fact that until a certain point elluded me. :)

buddyleebaby
08-28-2006, 01:44 PM
LOL. You could have become a chaplain.

hez
08-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Very fun.

Payton may a scientist of some sort (go figure, we're both engineers). The kid wants to know how everything works, has a one-track mind 'til he gets at what he wanted and makes intuitive leaps we don't expect.

Example: One day Payton had a runny nose. Every time he sniffled, I grabbed a tissue and had him blow his nose 'cause otherwise he wiped it on his hand. DH told him, "You better not sniffle around Mommy or she'll keep blowing your nose!" Payton looked at us, picked up the tissue box, and carried it out of my reach to another room.

Creative solutions to problems. That's my little analytical thinker who seems to have a touch of common sense :)

kijip
08-28-2006, 09:37 PM
>LOL. You could have become a chaplain.

I actually considered becoming a nun. How's that for a random factoid? I know that in a past generation, that is what I would have done. My parents took us to the Episcopal church as young teens to expose us to female and married priests. I still ended up back in the Catholic church.

kijip
08-28-2006, 09:39 PM
>Alek will be a politician - his favorite part of church is
>the sign of peace and he loves shaking hands. On Sat, he went
>down the entire pew to shake everyone's hands. He also makes
>eye contact and "flirts" with people in church, trying to keep
>people's attention on him.

LOL, my parents joke that politicans are certainly born and not made. How cute!

buddyleebaby
08-28-2006, 09:48 PM
My dad converted from Roman Catholic to Episcopalian for just that reason. He wanted to be a Priest but also wanted a family.
I went back to the Catholic church as a teen, so I guess it evened out. ; )