PDA

View Full Version : Spam me about breadboxes

american_mama
08-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Anyone use a breadbox? I want one mostly for neatness, to keep bread at room temperature on the counter (hate cold bread from the refrigerator) but tucked away neatly. Does bread mold faster in a breadbox (thinking it might be more humid)? Any recommendations for brands or models? Thanks.

DebbieJ
08-27-2006, 10:50 PM
I have no idea on breadboxes. I keep mine in a basket on top of the fridge and it's fine there.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

s7714
08-27-2006, 11:42 PM
I use a breadbox, and in my experience the bread actually doesn't mold as quickly when it's in the box vs. being on the counter. However, I think a lot of it has to do with the area you live in, what the breadbox is made out of etc., since those are all contributing factors to humidity levels.

Can't help you with makes or models; my dad made one for me out of black walnut (wood) as I couldn't find anything pre-existing that I liked.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
(100 posts & BBB member for 3 months req'd)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

alexsmommy
08-28-2006, 07:02 AM
We have a cheappy from Target that works fine. I think it slows down molding a bit - not like the frige, but like you, we like room temp bread. It's just a stainless steel thing that does the job. It fits in my cabinet so it doesn't take up counterspace and the lid pushes back into it so you don't need space above it to lift up. Works for us.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

rockchick15
08-28-2006, 09:08 AM
i use a breadbox and love it. Neatness is great and I haven't had any problems with molding faster. My breadbox is wood though, don't know if that helps or not. I got mine at Target for $12.

kransden
08-28-2006, 05:22 PM
We had one when I was growing up in central Ark. It was a heavy duty metal one. The bread got eaten too fast for mold to be an issue. I am looking for one now for my new house. It just makes the the counters so much neater.