PDA

View Full Version : Talk Radio: what's your favorite program

JulieL
08-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Sometimes I think radio is a mother's only sanity ;) Anyway I like to listen to smart talk radio, or fun talk radio.

My favorites are on NPR:

I like -

Talk of the Nation

sometimes when it's not political: Diane Rehm

A Prairie Home Companion

Splendid Table

newnana
08-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Car Talk. It's on Saturday mornings here as I'm out garage sale'ing. I'm into cars and these guys are funny. I learn a little something plus I think it couldn't hurt for DD to hear.

Fairy
08-28-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm a big Air America Radio fan. While Franken's show is great for any Franken fan, I'm somewhat embarrassed and, frankly, shocked to say that Jerry Springer's show from 8am - 11am is quite good. He's a 100% different person than that three-ring-circus he admittedly ringmasters on some channel somewhere on my TV that I couldn't even tell you when it's on. There is one element of it called "Crock News" that I can't stand and flip channels when I hear it, but I find him to be a great leader of the real discussion during his show.

Also, I like Randi Rhodes from 5pm - 8:30pm. Don't always agree wtih her, but it's a good show.

I could do without Rachel Maddow in the mornings.

MelissaTC
08-28-2006, 10:39 AM
I LOVE Clark Howard. I learn so much from his shows!!!!!

BeachBum
08-28-2006, 10:55 AM
I too love Clark Howard! He is on live from 3-6 weekdays,I think.

I also like "This American Life" on NPR. It is a weekend only show though.

I find Dr. Laura very interesting. I often don't agree with her take on things, but fun to listen to regardless.

On the political side, Neal Boortz is hands down my favorite! He always has such a different take on things than the "big guys".

I also enjoy "Money Talk" by Bob Brinker. We only get him on Sat and Sun late afternoons. He is in CA and I'm east coast so he might be on more frequently in other parts of the country. It is a financial show for a more informed investor.

boys2enough
08-28-2006, 11:21 AM
The radio in my car is forever tuned to NPR, that's how I got most of my news for the day. So, yeah, I know, my world view is totally skewed, esp. if you ask one of my co-workers who is staunchily NOT-liberal. LOL.

I really enjoy Wait Wait Don't Tell Me on the weekend. Hopefully one day I will have the chance to attend their live recording, which is in the Bank One (Chase now?) auditorium every Thursday. I am totally not a car person, but I find Car Talk hilarious. Those two MIT graduates are crazy!

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/chika/chirol_buha.gif

I am celebrating: just passed my "1000 posts" mark. Yipee!

Mommy_Again
08-28-2006, 12:45 PM
I am a talk radio junkie. My shows all lean toward the conservative side - but I can't stand listening to Rush. He is boring.

I love love love Glenn Beck. His show is the best, IMO. He has conservative views, but he is very quick to say that he is registered independent and does not vote along party lines. He doesn't get into the hard core political issues like Rush, but he has great commentary on the more mainstream issues that most people are aware of like terrorism, immigration, etc. He also talks about entertainment and celebrities, which I love. He just got a tv show on CNN Headline News but I prefer his radio show.

I love listening to Dr. Laura. As a previous poster said, I dont always agree with her, but she is really fun to listen to.

Neil Boortz is also very entertaining and rational. He is a progressive and I like his views.

If you have never heard the show before, Phil Hendry is a trip. He is usually on late nights. It gets old after a while but it is pretty funny. Just listen with an open mind.

KBecks
08-28-2006, 01:38 PM
I like Rush and Belling (our local guy who sometimes fills in for Rush, and I think he's just as good). Hannity annoys me.

I also like some WI public radio for the other side.

Don't listen much w the kids.

KBecks
08-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Love car talk.

KBecks
08-28-2006, 01:41 PM
I also like Dr laura, she's not on in our area anymore.

MarisaSF
08-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me is my favorite.
I also like A Way With Words out of San Diego.

Both syndicated on NPR. Both are podcasted, so I don't have to listen at the exact time they're on.

jgriffin
08-28-2006, 03:23 PM
One of the only things I miss about no longer having a loooong commute is listening to the radio. If E's in the car with me, we listen to the local classical station, but otherwise it's pretty much always NPR for me. Some of my favorite shows are:
Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me
Car Talk
Prarie Home Companion
Fresh Air
Marketplace

maestramommy
08-28-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm a lover of NPR as well. Don't know whether this is part of it, but my favorite is Left, Right, and Center.

jbowman
08-28-2006, 03:44 PM
I never get a chance to listen to it anymore, but "Fresh Air" has always been one of my favorite shows! I love Terry Gross. That show makes me feel smarter, LOL.

kijip
08-28-2006, 03:58 PM
This American Life
The Splendid Table
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
Car Talk
Marketplace
Science Friday

Actually my weekend is tuned to start with NPR.

I start with Science Friday, listen to Latino USA and then Left Right and Center 9too lazy to turn it off before the next program) and then some radio play if we are home on Friday night. Saturday mornings belong to Car Talk at 9, Wait Wait at 10 and This American Life at 11. Then I usually throw something at the radio during "Weekend America". I really dislike Bill Radke, the host on Weekend America and turn off the radio for a couple of hours.

We do catch Prairie Home Companion on either Sat or Sunday, most often in the car for part of it and then dashing into the house to hear the rest. I actually consider that I like listening to PHC as proof that I am not getting any younger. I used to hate that show. :)

I can't listen to screeching, biased radio commentators so I steer clear of anything on commercial radio except for the traffic reports. I also can't stand Diane Rehm or Left Right and Center. Diane Rehm is on here smack in the middle of the night, so that might be affecting my opinion of the show. Left Right and Center just seems a little too brief for any real discourse.

Sometimes I like To the Point, which is on midday on NPR.

bostonsmama
08-28-2006, 04:15 PM
I confess, I love Sean Hannity (polit hottie) and most of the time the O'Reilly Factor on XM radio (but we don't always see eye to eye).

When in Atlanta, I love WGKA 950AM.

When we're on a roadtrip and can't get our preferred stations, we really enjoy the non-political programs on NPR. It's always interesting to see how the other side thinks (and I'm quite environmentally progressive, but in general I don't enjoy their political reporting). Interestingly enough, traveling down I-95 I can pretty much go from Raleigh/Duram's NPR to Charlotte's NPR to SC's NPR to Atlanta's w/out much fuzz.

Larissa
"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us--they help us learn to endure." Rom 5:3

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, b. 3/06

mimieliza
08-28-2006, 05:01 PM
I live in a rural area with crap radio stations, so my dial is ALWAYS on Oregon Public Broadcasting's NPR station. It's my connection to the rest of the world.

I love Car Talk, The World, Marketplace, TOTN, All Things Considered, etc. I was actually on TOTN a few months ago. It was very exciting, which proves I'm a big geek. :)

When I'm in an area that has it, I really like Air America. I'm a fan of the Randi Rhoades Show.

DH and I are planning to drop cable TV and get satellite radio instead so we can have Air America all the time.

Roleysmom
08-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Lin, the taping of Wait Wait is a lot of fun! I bet you would love it!

Paula
Mom to Roley Julia, January '02

KBecks
08-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Oh I like the splendid table too -- except it often makes me very hungry and frustrated!

KBecks
08-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Like marketplace too -- especially the music they put to the daily market reports. "we're in the money" or "stormy weather" -- it's so cute!

MartiesMom2B
08-28-2006, 06:26 PM
I love the Broads on Broadminded and Satellite Sisters on XM Radio.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

VClute
08-28-2006, 06:46 PM
sigh... I LOVE talk radio and NPR. I used to enjoy listening to Rush, but he and I don't agree on a lot of things, and I can't stand his fill-ins so I hardly ever tune in anymore. I love listening to BBC world news, Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Wait Wait, Car Talk, Fresh Air and This American Life. Heck - just about anything in the NPR lineup is good. I've had MANY of those "driveway moments" where I just can't get out until I hear the end of the story. DS is also used to taking the scenic route home because I'm enjoying a show, too!

I often enjoy Diane Rehm's guests, but her vocal impairment makes me so frustrated sometimes I have to turn her off.

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

B.A.F.
08-28-2006, 06:47 PM
I love talk radio, I can listen to almost any of it. My favorites are Howard Stern, Dr. Laura, and Clark Howard. Sometimes I listen to Car Talk, and some gardening type show along the same lines as Car Talk. I just love talk radio. Oh, one guy that I find annoying is the Kimmer.

VClute
08-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Actually, Larissa, it's interesting that you mention the stations, because we have a local one here in Fayetteville, NC that BITES. It makes me crazy when their signal interferes with WUNC out of Durham!

Amy in NC

bostonsmama
08-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Haha....I meant I-85! I should have known Bragg was down 95 and you'd know!

My brain is thinking for two....sorry.

Larissa
"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us--they help us learn to endure." Rom 5:3

mum1day
08-28-2006, 07:09 PM
If my kids are asleep/I'm alone in the car I will listen to Howard Stern on Sirius.

If they are awake, we always listen to the Martha Stewart channel on Sirius, which is all talk, all day! It's my fave!

sdbc
08-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Diane Rehm (including political) and Car Talk are my definite faves. For world news, I listen to BBC on my NPR station.

I like most shows on NPR, but can't stand the People's Pharmacy. Funny, because we always see them with a stack of letters at this place we go to for Sunday Brunch. I wish I liked them better--I was still all excited the first time I saw them, though!

kijip
08-28-2006, 09:48 PM
>Oh I like the splendid table too -- except it often makes me
>very hungry and frustrated!

LOL! I could have a super power it would be the ability to generate recipes off the top of my head like that! One thing that I love is the website for that show- you can get the details on something that was really great sounding when you have time later in the week.

michellep
08-28-2006, 10:09 PM
It's kind of funny seeing public radio described as the "other side" from Rush. I noticed another poster made the same comparison below. Air America seems to me to be the opposite of Rush. But both Rush and Air America make my head hurt.

My favorite programs are This American Life, On the Media, and Speaking of Faith, which had an amazing program called The Spirituality of Parenting a while back. I've been downloading them each week ever since hearing that one. And speaking of downloading, I never miss Tim Gunn's Project Runway podcasts!

VClute
08-29-2006, 07:21 AM
I absolutely agree about People's Pharmacy! They're way more like that skit on SNL than Splendid Table, I think.

Amy in NC

Fairy
08-29-2006, 09:43 AM
Air America definitely IS the opposite of Rush. Rush and Hannity are conservative radio personalities, and Air America is a radio network for liberal talk. They are absolutely at the polar ends.