PDA

View Full Version : Deleted

firstbaby
08-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Ashley - thank you so much for your input - I can't tell you how much I appreciate the time you took to reply and give me such good recommendations. I've been spending the afternoon on the computer researching your suggestions. Thanks again!

With so many views and one reply I decided to delete my post. It was really personal so I was torn on posting to begin with :)

Mommy_Again
08-28-2006, 12:39 PM
congrats to your family member on taking such a big step. I know there are mamas on the board who have expert experience in this area (I certainly do not) - but I will tell you what I found when I was researching for XH.

First, I read in the book "A Million Little Pieces" that the success rate at treatment facilities is something like 13% - kind of depressing if true. But taking the initiative themself, instead of being forced into it or as a result of an intervention, is a great thing.

On that note - there was a program on A&E called "Intervention" - it was interesting and insightful, and also disturbing. Not sure if it is still on or not.

Some treatment centers (maybe most?) follow the 12 steps of AA. Others are a lot more holistic in your approach. So it is more a matter of trying to gauge what your family member will be more receptive to, than anything else. I live in the Palm Beach FL area and there is a well known center here - Hanley. It used to be affiliated with Hazelton (one of the best know, in MN).

Perhaps calling a national AA # would lead to some results? Or check out the A&E website- I bet they have recommendations and tips on the Intervention show page.

I think another important feature of a recovery program is how they incorporate family into the process, especially if you family member is married with children.

I am sure some other mamas can elaborate.

sidmand
08-28-2006, 08:55 PM
I think I might have been one of the views but didn't have anything concrete to suggest at the time...

I just wanted to send you some hugs and support. And know that just because a post has many views and not many responses sometimes means (particularly with an involved subject) that people are just waiting until they have more time to compose a thoughtful response. A lot of us pop on for a quick second at lunch or during a nap and have to go quickly and wait until we have more time to write a good response. So a lot of times a post will have many views with someone intending to come back later. Just didn't want you to think people didn't think your post was important enough to respond to. Many probably just didn't want to respond without a chance to give a thoughtful response.

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

buddyleebaby
08-28-2006, 09:27 PM
I was one of the views too. It just turned out that I couldn't help.
Hoping all goes well for your family.

Lovingliv
08-28-2006, 09:34 PM
I was not an original view....but wanted to send a hug. It sometimes seems like people don't want to help, but they had just popped on to the boards quickly...or they are thinking of the right way to say something......or a way to comfort someone....you know? Big hugs, mama. Don't let this discourage you from posting things that are dear to your heart.....this is what the board is for.
Sometimes I will post something and not hear anything for a couple of days, and BAM....I get a ton of advice shortly after.

I would have PMed you this, but your profile is disabled. Hoping everything works out for you.