PDA

View Full Version : For fun: What are your staple phrases?

Judegirl
08-28-2006, 03:43 PM
I've been noticing things that we say a lot in our house, and wondered what else was out there. (I could use some fresh material...) Here are some of ours:

When Rory's finished at the table, she says she wants to "get down and boogie."

When she asks for something and she thinks it might be iffy, she helps us along by following her question with a chirpy "I suppose we could do that!" or "Sure, okay!"

When there's no wiggle room for her at all and she starts complaining, I say "It's not negotiable" or "You're out of luck, kiddo." (Both of these work, probably because I only use them when there's *really* no wiggle room.)

Similarly, when she wants something and can't have it I usually say "No dice." (Sometimes she responds "Yes dice!" but it's as she's running off, having given up.)

When Mommy has had enough of a particular behavior, I say "Riordan, pull yourself together." (This one doesn't really work, but it makes me feel better by reminding me that she's two, and it sometimes gets a laugh out of her.)

When Rory gets caught trying to outwit her parents (for the fourth time that minute...) she says "Rory's being a stinker-pants?"

And apparently - I learned from Rory - there are situations in which dh says, "Let's not start any kookiness now."

I'd love to hear what gets said in other households...!

Jude

newmomto3kids
08-28-2006, 03:56 PM
When things go wrong: "Oh, man!"
When they want to do something: "Can we, just for a special treat?"
If we have to leave something early: "That can be something to look forward to for next time."
When we first get up: "Let's get ready for the day."
When I say no and they are bargaining: "No, and that's that!"
If they are having a hard time: "Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?" "Are you feeling a little grumpy today?" "Are you having a rough day?"
When Gracie is being goofy or throwing a fit: "Gracie is freaking out!!"

Fairy
08-28-2006, 04:01 PM
I don't think I can possibly follow these with anthing nearly as good. Lovin' get down and boogie. Here are some that we say; waiting for DS to talk so that we can hear them back!

We have now concluded the diapy portion of our evening.

It's time for num-nums. (I didn't say these were good)

Who's such a good little dude?!

Got poop?

megs4413
08-28-2006, 04:01 PM
My DD is younger (16mos) so our phrases are simpler.

Me: "are you ready?"
DD: REH-EE!
--it's amazing how many times a day we say this...

"1-2-3" I say it whenever I'm doing an action she doesn't want to sit still for...i give each action a number and she knows we're done at 3 so she'll sit until we get to three and then she jumps up and cheers. In DD language it's: un....too...dee...close enough!

the cutest thing she's doing right now is saying, "Lub-ew...nigh nigh..." when we lay her down....it's so cute cause of course...that's what we say!

"shake your booty!" in dd speak: Shaka boo-ee....all day long!

buddyleebaby
08-28-2006, 09:36 PM
We only have two phrases that get repeated all day in our house:

From me : Get down, please. (as she is climbing on the high chair, the stroller, the couch, the bookshelf...)
From her: Cracker? (No matter what I/she/ dh is eating, to her it is a cracker.)

newmomto3kids
08-29-2006, 07:52 AM
I just remembered my other favorite:
Whenever they want something they can't have and are protesting:
"You're bummin..."
I must say that 50 times a day.
Have a good one!

cleo27
08-29-2006, 07:21 PM
The other day DD started saying "Ab-so-lute-ly Not!" It was so funny. Clear as can be, but in a toddler voice!!

Cute thread.