PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Trip

MMEand1
08-28-2006, 07:47 PM
My DH decided that since we have not had a vacation in forever and I just graduated, we would take a trip to Disney Land!!! We ar leaving tomorrow night! Any helpful hints from those that have been with two young'uns (almost 4 yo DS and 19 mo DD).
Thanks,
Mariah P.

mudder17
08-28-2006, 09:29 PM
No help from here, but I wanted to wish you a safe and totally fun trip!

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 30 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

dhano923
08-28-2006, 09:46 PM
ETA: I gave you advice for Disney Land because that's where you said you were going, but I saw another poster said Disney World. Land is in CA and World is in FL, so I'm assuming you are going to the CA location.

We took DS at the end of June for the first time. Make sure you bring lots of sunscreen and good hats for the kids. You can rent a stroller or bring your own, but keep in mind that you will need to take the stroller on the tram from the parking lot to the entrance, and if it's crowded, you'll have to keep it in front of your legs or on your lap. We took a Mac Triumph which was perfect. You'll also have to leave your stroller at the entrance of each ride, so if you are bringing a common style stroller, bring a ribbon or something to tie on the handle so you can spot it easily.

You can bring snacks for the kids in, which I would recommend because food is expensive. There is a great Diaper Changing Area off of Main Street, where they have a feeding area with High Chairs, rocking chairs for nursing, and great diaper changing table rooms with sinks, mini toilets, etc. It's very comfortable there.

Buy the gold mouse ear hats, not the usual black -- they are the 50th Anniversary edition hats so a nice keepsake for the kids. They will embroider them for free.

We are going to go again at the end of September when kids are back in school and it's not so crowded anymore. We'll be taking DD then too (she'll be 10 months at that time). We live in So. CA so we bought passes. :)

Lovingliv
08-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Congrat Mariah,,,,I kept meaning to post to tell you that!
Have fun in DW...never been so no tips but hope it is wonderful!

MMEand1
08-29-2006, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the tips and well wishes. We are going to DL since we are stationed here at Travis AFB in Nor Cal. I have been to DW, but it was many, many years ago and pre-DC!

We told my DS that we were going and he was all excited that we were going to "play-house Disney", then when he realized we were not going right that minute, he freaked out!! We ended up bringing him to the Disney store in the mall since he calls that "play-house Disney" as well.

Will post pictures when we get back!
Thanks again!
Mariah P.

jeminaal
08-29-2006, 01:16 AM
Here's a website that might help you:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/akrock/

Definitely take advantage of the Baby Care Centers at Disneyland and at Disney's California Adventure!

Have a wonderful time!

Jeanette
(formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day

Melanie
08-29-2006, 02:25 AM
Have a great time!

Definitely check out mouseplanet (I think Jeanne posted a link).

I would say my biggest advice is go with low expectations as to how much you will do or see, and you will all have a better time. We actually got passes so that we would not feel that urge to do everything everytime. Some times we may only go on three rides but it was fun.

Also, Fantasy Land is the most crowded with the longest lines ever. I have yet to figure out when a good time is to go there...maybe late but we don't stay late. If you are in FantasyLand and find yourself in a world of misery my tip is to LEAVE IT. I know, sounds silly but we went on a miserable hot Sunday (mistake one) and Ds loves the Peter Pan ride. It was horrid. Finally we dragged outselves out of there and found the rest of the park a lot less crowded. If you do happen to have a crowded day, go over to California Adventure. The lines are always shorter and people more sparse. The Bugs' Land has some cute rides for children the age of yours.

And lastly if it's crowded and it's hot, hit the Innoventions attraction in Tomorrow Land (The big spinning building). It's cool and air conditioned. You can stay as long as you like, or until you need a bathroom. LOL. It's very media- & sponsorship-intense, but we still do it for a nice weather reprieve.

Have a great time!

Dcclerk
08-29-2006, 02:35 PM
I whole heartedly agree with this advice. If you have them excited to go on only a couple of rides, everyone has a better time. More than that is just gravy. I do not feel the Fantasyland love and luckily either does my DS, really. My DS's favorite rides are not in Fantatsyland,. He loves the parking lot tram, monorail, train that goes around the park, autopia, and the boats that go around Tom Sawyer's island. Literally none of them would have crossed my mind, but those are his favorites.

If it is hot, the Bug's Life area in CA Adventure has a great water feature. Bring a bathing suit or an extra change of clothes and let them go crazy. If there was a monorail at CA Adventure, that would probably be my kids' favorite park, which surprises me no end.

I rarely bring a stroller. I have determined that I am a spartan there. DD rides in the Ergo and DS walks, firmly attached to me via his "monkey backpack." I really like being more flexible and not having to figure out the whole stroller thing. I am in the extreme minority since it seems like everyone else has one, but if you are used to more babywearing then strollering, that might work for you.

The only thing I disagree with Melanie is about Innovations. Oh how I hate that place with a fiery passion. It bores the snot out of me, while being completely overloaded with techy stuff. Of course, I am probably a luddite and it is very well air-conditioned, so take that with a shaker of salt :P

Coolamber
08-29-2006, 05:05 PM
If you are staying close by go back to hotel from like 2-5 for a nap. Do Fantsyland frist thing in the morning or late at night. School is back in session so hopefuly it will not be to crowded. We have been 4 times this year. If you have any questions you can email me.
Have Fun
Mollie

Melanie
08-29-2006, 05:31 PM
>The only thing I disagree with Melanie is about Innovations.
>Oh how I hate that place with a fiery passion. It bores the
>snot out of me, while being completely overloaded with techy
>stuff. Of course, I am probably a luddite and it is very well
>air-conditioned, so take that with a shaker of salt :P

LOL, *I* don't find it interesting. Ds does, especially the virtual hockey thing upstairs and the car. I just feel like it's a nice weather and crowd reprieve. For us, Ds can roam freely (with us following) without that panic feeling when we're out in DL and there are crowds of people.

CecilysMom
08-29-2006, 05:36 PM
An alternate place with nice air conditioning is the Animation Building over in California Aventure. Lots to do in there. Playhouse Disney also has air conditioning, and kids love that show.