PDA

View Full Version : Any good chick-lit books?

littleme2
08-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Is that any oxymoron? :)
Just looking for some light reading. Something to read while I'm lying in bed putting the kids to sleep (I just can't stare at a wall for an hour).

I've read almost all Jane Green's books, Jennifer Weiner's books, Can you keep a secret by Sophia Kinsella.

Any others I should try?

Right now, I just started the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich and I'm really enjoying it.

Thanks.

trumansmom
08-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Anything by Laurie Notaro. I'm no longer allowed to read her books in bed. I laugh so hard I start snorting, the bed shakes and DH kicks me out! :)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

Fairy
08-28-2006, 10:21 PM
I recommended a couple books earlier today, too! Read Jane's Jemima J if you haven't read it yet. Love it! Also, I love Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, but that's not quickly consumed. Historic fiction with equal parts romance & science fiction. It's a doozy.

dhano923
08-29-2006, 02:50 AM
I love the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella, and her new book The Undomestic Goddess.

pampamz
08-29-2006, 07:44 AM
I've read Something Borrowed and Something Blue by Emily Giffin. Her books are an easy read, and she just came out with a 3rd in the series.

miki
08-29-2006, 07:57 AM
I've read a few books from this imprint: www.reddressink.com
They are all entertaining enough to fit the bill.

boolady
08-29-2006, 08:15 AM
If you are enjoying Janet Evanovich, try Lisa Scottoline and/or Sue Grafton.

pampamz
08-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Also, check the chapters.com website. They have an area just listing Chick-Lit books. I usually go there, find what I like and then order if from my library!

MayB
08-29-2006, 09:19 PM
If you liked Can You Keep a Secret, I definitely recommend Kinsella's Shopaholic series. Of course, there's always Bridget Jones' Diary if you haven't read that. These are older but if you liked Weiner's Goodnigth Nobody, you might enjoy some of Susan Isaacs books, which cover some of the same territory. Also, Olivia Goldsmith (First Wives Club, Flavor of the Month) can be amusing.

Perhaps a step up from chick lit but not too taxing are Elinor Lipman's novels, The Inn at Lake Devine is my favorite. Some reviewers compare her to a modern Jane Austen. Happy reading...

deenass
08-30-2006, 06:17 AM
My friend's sister wrote Fashionistas, Tallulahland and Mim Warner's Lost her Cool (all Red Dress Ink books).

AddiesMom
08-30-2006, 06:24 AM
Guess what! Next year the Shopaholic is going to be a Mommy in the newest book. I can't wait! Mark you calendar, Feb 27 it is released.

Here is the scoop:
Becky's life is blooming! She's working at London's newest fashion store, The Look, house-hunting with husband Luke (her secret wish is a Shoe Room)...and she's pregnant! She couldn't be more overjoyed - especially since discovering that shopping cures morning sickness. Everything has got to be perfect for her baby: from the designer nursery...to the latest, coolest pram...to the celebrity, must-have obstetrician. But when the celebrity obstetrician turns out to be her husband Luke's glamorous, intellectual ex-girlfriend, Becky's perfect world starts to crumble. She's shopping for two...but are there three in her marriage?

tina-t
08-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Love the Shopaholic series too!

lizajane
08-30-2006, 03:21 PM
anita shreve. fortune's rocks is my fav.