PDA

View Full Version : On-line background checks and credit checks

schums
08-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Has anyone ever used an on-line background check? If so, was it worth the $$ and accurate? I'd be looking at the full blown check (seems to run about $50 on most sites). I actually need it for 2 things -- one for a renter to make sure I'm not going to get hosed, and one for a lawsuit an extended family member has had filed against them.

Also, if I have the social security number of the renter, can I run an actual credit report legally? How about for the filer of the lawsuit?

TIA,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

schums
08-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Anyone? Somebody must have used one of these before!! Help me out!

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

MayB
08-29-2006, 09:14 PM
I don't know the answer for the situations you are describing but have worked to institute a background check procedure for my employer. In that case, we contracted with an outside firm to do background checks on all new employees prior to hire. A federal law (Fair Credit Standards Act, maybe?) applies and requires us to have a number of disclosures and a signed release from the person who we are checking. Not sure if this helps or not...

bostonsmama
08-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Absolutely not if you do not have their consent (at least to the credit check). While credit checks are soft hits to the credit rating, they still add up and can lower your credit score. My mother, as a realtor, practically has to have their name in blood to do this in conjunction w/ a mortgage broker.

On-line background checks sound a little fishy to me...as in I'm sure some are better than others, but I don't know how much info you'll get. I know when I submitted my application for teaching I had to submit to an FBI & CPS-type background check and fingerprinting down at our city courthouse, but I had to show my ID/driver's license and sign a bazillion authorization forms of consent.

Can you try googling your state's laws on this....or can you call a real estate professional who might know about your rights to do a background check? But my mom just told me no way jose can you do a credit check w/out their consent. HUGE LAWSUIT. IF you have it, then don't worry. THat's pretty standard/par for the course when you go to rent any house, though. So it's not like you have the wrong intention.

Larissa
"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us--they help us learn to endure." Rom 5:3

praying for my little bean to keep growing edd spring 07

newmomto3kids
08-30-2006, 10:32 AM
I ordered a background check once on my DH just for fun and to see if his youthful indiscretions would show up (with his knowledge, not behind his back!!). His background check came back totally clean, although we knew as a young adult (over the age of 18) he had a couple minor arrests. He also defaulted on a lease at age 18 (I swear he is not as much of a loser as I am making him sound like ;)). Nothing showed up.
You could run one, but know that even if it comes back clean, there could be arrests from a county or state that doesn't report them to the background check agency.
As for a credit check, my parents rent their first home out, and they always get consent for a credit check as part of the application. The potential renters even pay for the check. It has saved them a lot of grief.
Good luck!!