PDA

View Full Version : traveling with 10 month old, 1 first class seat or 2 coach

wigfurs
08-28-2006, 09:50 PM
I am looking for advice on traveling alone with my 10 month old. It is about a 4 hour flight and I am having a tough time deciding between 1 first class ticket and holding her on my lap, or getting 2 coach seats and bringing her car seat. Does anyone have experience or advice on which route to take?

o_mom
08-28-2006, 10:00 PM
2 coach seats is my suggestion. I flew with DS1 at 12 mos and it was a lifesaver to have him in a seat. There is no way he would have sat still on my lap for even the short 2 hour flight we had. It is also safer to have her in her carseat (rear-facing, of course!) and you won't have to worry about the seat getting lost by the airline.

fortato
08-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Buy 2 coach seats. You'll thank yourself later for doing it. We just flew with our 3 month old, and were glad we bough him his own seat. It gave us extra room for our stuff. Plus- with one seat you can only check 2 bags, with 2 you can check 4!

--Kristen

Fairy
08-28-2006, 10:17 PM
I agree with O. We got DS his own seat, and thank goodness. It was a 3 hour flight, but even if it was 90 minutes, there is no way the lap thing would have worked with us. Now we saw other families on this flight, and a couple had DC on their lap, so it can work out. But consider a couple things:

1. Bringing the carseat is a schlep and a half, but it sure pays in the long run if you end up renting a car or having to deal with cabs/limos.

2. Holding DS on my lap would have meant a big sweaty mess once we were all said and done.

3. There are WONDERFUL little scootie thingies that you can fit your carseat into that you then PUSH along the floor in front of you (or pull behind, I guess, but I'd rather keep my eye on them). I was insanely jealous of the families that had these wonderful things, which I'd imagine are well worth whatever they paid for them. Plus, the DC gets a real great view and ride like the front car of a rollercoaster!

Ok, let me end this with something funny that has nothing to do with your question but is mildly related. I like to stick stuff in my back pocket. Not front, really, back. So, DS had to be changed mid-flight, and so rather than schlep the diaper bag into the teenie poty, I carried a diaper and stuck the wipes and diaper cream into my back pocket. Did our business and stuck it all back, went back to my seat. When we landed, I felt something mushy behind me, and it turns out that some idiot forgot to put the butt cream back in the diaper bag and got it not just all over the plane seat, but all over my own butt. I was mortified. I fell all over myself apologizing to the plane cleaning crew, who were so unfazed it was like nothing to them. They had that thing clean in six seconds flat, leaving me to my own mushy tushy, the cleaning of which they left to me.

DebbieJ
08-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Two coach seats.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

wigfurs
08-28-2006, 10:43 PM
thanks for your advice. I am using miles to get the tickets and with all of the restrictions for security I was thinking 1st class might be nice to get the immediate service and attention. My husband and I flew with her last month and didn't get a seat, but he was there to had her off when I had to get a bottle ready (etc.). She was an angel on the flight and slept a lot! I might not get as lucky this time around. Safety wise, 2 seats would most definately be better. Thanks again!