PDA

View Full Version : OT: Your favorite: BJ's or Costco?

mattysmom
08-29-2006, 07:05 AM
I heard an ad that BJ's is having an open house - so no fees, etc, to try it out... how does it compare to Costco (I've been a couple of times with my parents who are members)? Similar items? Similar prices? I know lots of people write about their grat experiences at Costco, but I don't hear as much about BJs' fans!

Trying to figure out if it's worth the trip!
THanks!!

miki
08-29-2006, 07:47 AM
I think BJs has more items in each category they carry but that their prices are higher than Costco. For instance, BJs might have more brands of pasta sauce, a larger variety of cleaning products, etc. but if Costco carried the same or similar product, Costco's would be slightly cheaper. But they also don't usually carry the same exact stuff. They might have the same brands but the sizes might be different which makes it harder for you to do a direct comparison. I only have the BJs membership because they carry Pampers. Now that DD is PT'd, I'm not renewing that membership. HTH

katerinasmom
08-29-2006, 08:01 AM
I have found that the produce and meat are better at Costco than at BJs. Otherwise they are the same to me. Oh and the other difference is that at BJs I can pay with Mastercard or Visa (and I think Discover) but at Costco I think it is the Costco card or cash only (maybe Amex too) but I don't have the Costco Credit card (or Amex) so it can sometimes be a pain.

LD92599
08-29-2006, 08:05 AM
BJs accepts manufacturer coupons and often has their own coupons coupled with instant rebates on many products.

They also have longer hours and open at 8am (which i LOVE - that's when I go between dropping DS off at school and my getting to work).

Greeting cards, wrapping paper etc 50% off.

However, overall we do like Costco better but it's just not as convenient.

Laura
Will is three...and doesn't sleep :-(

[img]http://b4.lilypie.com/vEOmm4.png

Use a Mac? Interested in learning more about them? Join us!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB-MacUsers/

searchdog
08-29-2006, 08:07 AM
Costco takes, cash, checks, debit cards (you have to use your pin number) or American Express. DH and I got there Costco American Express and we earn 1% back everywhere and once a year we get a check for that amount. We always pay our balance off each month so they basically pay us to use there credit card.

On a side note we also have a Discover where we get 1% back as well and it to is paid off monthly so again we are getting paid to use that card as well. Between the two cards we get probably $500 a year free!

holliam
08-29-2006, 09:17 AM
DH does all the shopping but for us:

BJs is closer
BJs carries more of the brands we prefer
Costco has really cool deals somtimes on kid's stuff and we like some of their produce

So, DH likes both enough to keep both memberships but I get slight discounts on them from work.

Holli

calv
08-29-2006, 09:18 AM
I haven't been to costco in a very long time. I do know that I save a TON by piggy-backing manuf. coupons along w/the ones BJ's has. Many times I've saved $50+ in coupons. SWEET

cmdunn1972
08-29-2006, 10:12 AM
We did the fre trial membership at BJ's. They're always sending those offers out in our area. I guess I'm used to buying more organic and healthy foods, so I was disappointed in the selection. Also, the BJ's near us (PA) is a lot smaller than the Costco's near my parent's (NoVA), and BJ's wasn't as clean as Costco's either. I can't comment on BJ's return policy since I didn't have to use it, but it's hard to beat Costco's unless you match it.

HTH!

AddiesMom
08-29-2006, 11:03 AM
I go to BJ's and have been very happy (closest Costco is about an hour away). I know you didn't ask about Sam's but I just wanted to chime-in on my recent shopping trip to each incase anyone else is interested.
BJ's has a really good selection of diapers, wipes, formula and baby food. BJ's also has Johnson & Johnson baby products. I find sometimes I can get Kellogs cereal cheaper in the supermarket or Target on sale, but I have done price comparisons on Emfamil and Cruisers and I am saving $.12 per 8oz bottle of Enfamil and about $.03 per diaper versus Target's sale price. BJ's takes coupons, Visa, MC, not sure about AMEX.
Recently my Mom was running errands so I went to Sam's with her. They should be ashamed over the baby section! 3 types of formula (Similac, Enfamil, generic), all powdered and no other types like lactose-free, ready to drink, etc. The Enfamil I buy was $1 more at Sams than BJ's. No baby food, no baby gear, horrible selection of wipes or diapers. They were still only carrying Swaddlers in the horrible 1/2 size whereas BJ's sells NB, 1 or 2. Sams only takes debit cards and I think Discover card.