PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Newly pg and bleeding - driving myself crazy

npace19147
08-29-2006, 01:35 PM
Just came back from an ultrasound that dated me at 5 weeks 3 days. They saw the sac but no heartbeat yet, which is normal for this early. I'll get my second HCG levels tomorrow and see how that goes. Still bleeding a little bit, so hopefully that stops soon.

Whew...a long long way to go here! Thanks for all the support and encouragement.

I just found that I'm pg - probably about five weeks. I'm having a little bleeding right now and I'm so paranoid, I keep running to check every few minutes to see if it's getting worse.

Luckily DD is napping right now, but I just don't know what to do with myself. DH said that it's so early that if I do lose it now it's for the best, and what was meant to be, blah blah...I know he's right but that doesn't make waiting to find out what happens any easier.

Any advice for getting through this without losing my mind?

newmomto3kids
08-29-2006, 01:39 PM
I bled with both my first two kiddo's, at right about 5 weeks. Both times I made DH speed me off to the ER, both times, they basically said they couldn't tell anything from just one visit and to see my OB. Both times, my OB got me in right away and I could even see the heartbeat once.
By the third, I swore I would be more level headed but I didn't have the chance to prove (or disprove) that theory as I didn't bleed.
I feel for you, it is so scary, but also so normal.
Hugs and keep us posted!!!

CiderLogan
08-29-2006, 01:39 PM
BTDT, so I know there is really nothing anyone can say to make you stop worrying. But I know so many stories of women who bled in the early weeks and then had healthy babies - myself included! So the only advice I have is to try to keep your mind off it -- call a friend, take DD out this afternoon, etc. Chances are, everything is fine. Thinking of you!!! Please post with an update soon.

Jenny
Julia, 8/03
Clara, 5/06

megs4413
08-29-2006, 01:43 PM
i'm so sorry! i know how scary that is! call your ob...he should be able to get you in soon to check on things...call right away! i hope everything is alright!

brittone2
08-29-2006, 01:52 PM
I had bleeding w/ DS at around 8 weeks after a vag US and relations with DH. Always scary when it happens, but keep in mind that I believe 1/3 of otherwise normal pgcies will have bleeding at some point.

A suggestion would be to get your progesterone levels checked. The tricky part is that a lot of OBs, etc. do not believe progesterone supplementation "works" in any way. It is a chicken and egg kind of thing...it may be possible that abnormal pregnancies that will eventually m/c have low progesterone because they aren't normal to start with, so supplementing may not make a difference. You can also request a beta HCG to see if your levels are doubling, leveling off, or dropping. That will give you some idea of whether or not this may be a m/c.

My personal experience is that I think in some instances it *can* help. I did injectables/IUI to conceive DS, and my reproductive endocrinologist put me on progesterone prophylactically even though I never tested low. I started from ovulation onward. I don't know if I "needed" it, or if it worked, but I am glad we did it.

Fast forward to this pgcy, which was a pretty big surprise. I asked for a progesterone test, and my level was pretty abysmal..a 9. Not too hot at ALL. I was not bleeding, but that is very very low. The OB would not have RX'd progesterone testing, but I asked for it. They also didn't suggest supplementing, but when I asked they were willing (I'm sure chalking it up to me being a pushy former infertility patient). My levels went up once I supplemented, I never had any bleeding and am 25 wks pg.

I know a lot of women w/ low progesterone are not helped by supplementing, and there is little research out there saying it really helps. However, anecdotally, I know of several moms with very low progesterone levels that were helped w/ supplementing.

I have PCOS, and low progesterone in pg'cy seems to be relatively common in women w/ that condition since our ovulation and hormones are just generally wonky. I think there are certain subsets of the population that may benefit from progesterone, and some that don't, depending on the pgcy. I think it is worth getting tested though. You just may have to really advocate for yourself w/ your care provider. Many of them aren't convinced that it helps.

I hope that what you are experiencing is just an episode of bleeding in an otherwise normal pgcy. Thinking of you and hoping for the best.

TLC1994
08-29-2006, 02:00 PM
I also had bleeding/spotting for quite a while with both pregnancies. Honestly, I think it lasted off & on until I was almost 20 weeks with both! It's extremely nerve-wracking, I know. Then the more you read about bleeding during pregnancy, the more nervous you get! It's so easy to start thinking the worst.

I really do think that some bleeding is extremely normal, but I suppose you could always have your OB check it out, just to put your mind at ease. With my 2nd, my OB ran a blood test to test my hormone levels and I also had an ultrasound done to make sure everything was ok.

Take care & keep us posted.

jennifer_r
08-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Nancy,

So sorry that you have to go through with this. I bled with everyone of my pregnancies and while one did end in miscarriage, the other three resulted in healthy, full-term pregnancies. Bleeding can be extremely nerve wracking and it seems almost impossible to keep it "together" while you are going through this. I would definitely call the doctor and they should be able to check your HCG numbers and maybe even see if there is a sac via ultrasound.

I'll be thinking of you. Keep us posted.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif[/img][/url]

JulieL
08-29-2006, 02:26 PM
I bled at 6 weeks, then spotted for several days. I got an u/s at 6 wks 2 days and they said it was probably old implantation blood. I had no clue it could wait that long to go through the system. You're not crazy, it's a horrible feeling to bleed and be pg, but often the pregnancy goes on to be completely normal. (((HUGS)))

chlobo
08-29-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure we can make you feel better but I second contacting your OB & having a HCG check and seeing how early they can get you in for an u/s. Those things will help you know that things are heading in the right direction. Other than that I guess just try to stay busy!

bostonsmama
08-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Hey Nancy, I haven't had any bleeding during this pregnancy, but I have had a LOT of cramping. As far as I've been told, it's very common to have either bleeding OR cramping, but that having both isn't always the best sign. I would also recommend getting an early appointment w/ your OB. At 5.5 weeks and 2,000 mIU/ml hcg count, a yolk sac can usually be seen and a gestational sac at 5 wks and 1,000 mIU/ml hcg (all by transvaginal ultrasound, not transabdominal). Just be advised that I'm about the same gestation as you and my hcg #s are in the low hundreds, so we're days away from anything being visible....so don't freak out. Like the others said, it's whether or not the hcg rises from one beta to the next (at least 60% every two days is optimal). My next ultrasound is at the 6 wk point, and my doc expects to see a fetal heartbeat. Once you see that, there's only a tiny risk of miscarriage.

Keeping you in my prayers and wishing you & your baby some rest, comfort and peace until you get more assurance.

Larissa
"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us--they help us learn to endure." Rom 5:3

praying for my little bean to keep growing edd spring 07

wimama
08-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Hugs to you! I know how scary it is. I had bleeding at around 6 weeks. Luckily we were just far enough along that we could see a heart beat when they did the ultrasound. That was such a relief. I actually was happy when I started getting morning sickness, because it made feel better about our little peanut being ok.

Our little peanut is not so little now. He is 4 months old.

I am hoping and praying for a healthy and uneventful 9 months for you and your little peanut.

dules
08-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Call your OB and see if they will do a beta, progesterone, and ultrasound. Since you don't know exactly how far along you are you may or may not see anything on the ultrasound so don't panic if you don't.

Many, many women bleed early in pg and it turns out to be nothing. But these tests will help you know if everything is all right and hopefully give you peace of mind.

Best,
Mary

hez
08-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Don't hesitate to call the doc. Mine is very good about hand-holding, which is what I personally need.

I spotted with both outcomes-- so I've learned to just call the doc and get the experts to diagnose me.

And I can't tell you how to keep your mind-- I lost mine long ago ;)

npace19147
08-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks so much to everyone who responded! I called my OB (who I love) and he suggested coming in tomorrow to get my HcG levels checked and then again on Friday so we can see how the levels are increasing. Hopefully I can do an u/s next week as well. I have been having nausea and exhaustion so I guess those are good signs too.

Ugh, I had forgotten how terrifying it can be to be pg!

Thanks again for the support, it's so hard when you're this early and don't want to tell people IRL. I'll update when I have some more news - hopefully good news!!

kijip
08-29-2006, 08:23 PM
My next ultrasound
>is at the 6 wk point, and my doc expects to see a fetal
>heartbeat. Once you see that, there's only a tiny risk of
>miscarriage.

I am sorry, but for the scores of women here and everywhere that have miscarried after hearing a heatbeat including myself, I just had to chime in that this is totally factually incorrect. Many, many mc occur after 6 weeks. The risk is not, as you say, "tiny". I am plugging for all the pregnant mothers here to deliver the babies you all very much deserve to have but I had to say something about this misleading piece of internet board advice. No one should consider themselves home free simply after hearing a heartbeat, especially if other risk factors, such as bleeding are occuring. The advice and care of your health provider is needed for each individual mother to determine her own risk.

I am hoping, really trusting, that everything turns out well for you Larissa, you have had a long and hard journey. :)

To the original poster- Nancy, I am hoping that all comes out well for you too! Lots of sticky vibes coming your way :). Your chances are very, very good for a positive outcome!

brittone2
08-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Everything I've come across mostly indicates that the risk of m/c once a heartbeat is visualized on US (assuming normal heartrate, no bleeding, no advanced maternal age or other complicating factors is 5-6%, and that number is brought up many times in studies, not just internet chatboards, etc. Is that tiny? I don't know. Tiny if you go on to carry to term, not so tiny if you are one of those in the 5-6% that go on to experience a loss...but I think a lot of women still can take comfort in seeing that heartbeat.

My Reproductive Endo from when I was ttc Logan also quoted the approx. rate of 5% when we went through our early USs with him. He's now the IVF director for one of the top IVF programs in the country. I also wasn't dealing w/ any other complicating factors at the time (had some bleedding a few weeks later though, but probably mostly just vaginal irritation from crinone/progesterone).

I get what you are saying Katie, as with bleeding, etc. seeing a heartbeat certainly doesn't mean a woman is out of the woods, and there are no guarantees even if a woman has a picture perfect early US. Howoever, I took a lot of comfort in seeing that early heartbeat, realizing it wasn't a guarantee, and realizing at the time I didn't have any other major complicating factors that increased my rate of m/c. I'm sorry for anyone that has experienced a loss after feeling hopeful and seeing that first heartbeat, and after that a woman is understandably much more cautious. I had a rough road w/ both pgcies early on, and that was painful enough. I'm so sorry for anyone that has endured a loss.

spanannie
08-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Per my RE and OB, I have to agree with Beth. While mc's do happen after seeing the heartbeat, and beyond, statistically, it is in the minority of pregnancies that this will happen. I also found comfort in seeing the heartbeat, as I knew there would be a great chance that the baby would survive.

For the OP, I had major bleeding at 6 and 7 weeks with DS, coupled with terrible cramping (we're talking labor pains), which was absolutely terrifying. My RE would not do an u/s when this happened, and I was beside myself. I just had to keep having betas done to confirm that the pregnancy was progressing normally. I still have no idea why this happened, but it was horrible. DS was born full term and healthy, though.

With DD, I had no bleeding, but had cramping until around 12-15 weeks. I had the same cramping with DS for the same period of time. They felt like period cramps. I think that may be caused by the uterus stretching.

I hope all is well and thinking very sticky thoughts for you.

JenfromWI
08-30-2006, 06:51 AM
I just wanted to say that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I had a miscarriage in May and am pregnant again- probably as far along as you are. I had a little spotting last week that freaked me out. I had my hCG levels checked and they were very good. It put my mind to rest a bit, but I still check for bleeding frequently and worry any time I feel anything going on in my abdomen! I believe a previous post said that when you have cramping AND spotting/bleeding, that's the time to really worry (even though some women to go on to have healthy babies!). Sorry, no advice really, just healthy pregnancy wishes. Hang in there!

ETA: Support from the WONDERFUL people on this board helped me back in May and I hope they are making you feel better too!

JenfromWI
09-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the update; I was keeping watch for one. I hope your HCG levels are good and that the bleeding stops soon. Please take care of yourself and keep us posted!

jennifer_r
09-01-2006, 07:00 AM
Glad to hear that the ultrasound went well. Hoping the HCG numbers are great. Will be thinking of you today.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

JenfromWI
09-04-2006, 05:52 PM
I have been thinking about you and hope everything is OK. Please update us when you have a chance.

o_mom
09-04-2006, 06:35 PM
I'm also going to agree with this.

My RE (one of the best in the city) said < 5% after heartbeat at 6 weeks. There is also good data on the fetal heartrate compared to gestational age by crown-rump length. Basically if the heartrate is more than a week behind what is expected for the gestational age, the risk of M/C is 5/6.

Yes, there are many women who miscarry after seeing a heartbeat, but 5% of alot of people is still alot of people. That doesn't mean the _risk_ is any higher.

npace19147
09-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks so much for asking! The moms on this board are so nice. :)

My HCG levels were good when they were tested at the end of last week - on Wed. they were 32,000 and on Friday they were 41,000. The dr said not to worry that they hadn't exactly doubled, by the time they get that high they don't necessarily double, but the fact that they were that high and rising was good.

The u/s showed a sac but didn't detect a heartbeat yet, but all the dr's said not to worry, since I was only measuring about 5 weeks that it was normal not to see one. I have another u/s scheduled for next week, when I'll be 7 weeks, and that one will be more crucial to see a heartbeat. But I am feeling awful with morning sickness (all day sickness is more like it) so I guess that is a good sign.

I am still having some very light bleeding/discharge, but at this point no one seems very worried about it, which I guess is good! I think it's more of a case of we've done everything we can and now it's just a matter of wait and see. I wish I were better at waiting!

DH has been home on vacation and taking the bulk of taking care of DD. Tomorrow the real challenge begins - taking care of a busy toddler while being exhausted and nauseous. We'll see how it goes!

JenfromWI
09-04-2006, 07:44 PM
That's great news!! Thanks for the update. Even though it will be rough taking care of your DD with nausea and exhaustion, the pregnancy sickness must feel good at this point. Take care or yourself and good luck!

brittone2
09-04-2006, 08:16 PM
What great news!

The numbers definitely do slow down eventually so I wouldn't worry about them not doubling if you can help it.

I had an early USs with both pregnancies. My first with DS was around 5.5 weeks and we only saw a sac. There was a heartbeat a long two weeks later at 7w2d. Same with this pregnancy...my HCG level was very high and the doc mentioned that she thought we should be seeing more than a sac at that point. We were very unsure of dates, but my guess was that I was only 5.5 weeks; however, she was convinced I should be further along based on my HCG. I've read repeatedly that it is inaccurate to try to correlate much between HCG levels and embryonic development (other than being able to see a sac with an HCG over 2000). I had a repeat a LONG week later with better equipment, and there was an embie with a beating heart.

Waiting is just excruciating. I feel for you!

Congratulations and I hope that your next US goes really well and that you get some reassuring news :)

wimama
09-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Congrats! It sounds like it is time to stock up on crackers and white soda. (That's mostly what I ate for the first few weeks);)

jennifer_r
09-05-2006, 07:22 AM
Nancy,

I thought of you several times over the weekend but didn't see any posts until now - so glad to hear that your numbers are that high. And the numbers definitely do stop slowing down as they get higher. And the nausea and exhaustion sound like great "signs" as well.

Good luck taking care of DD and am hoping that the pregnancy continues to go well.

Hey, does this mean that you won't be going to the Tyler Place this year? Or would you make the trek up there with the newborn? If you don't, I'll miss you.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
Bronwyn 11/9/05

npace19147
09-05-2006, 03:36 PM
TThanks Jen! Funny you mentioning TP, DH asked that yesterday too! It's still early days here of course, so we don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves - but *I* at least have no intention of giving up our TP trip!!