PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to lower DS's crib?

set81616
08-29-2006, 06:07 PM
10 mth old DS just started sitting up yesterday. He is a little delayed but otherwise very healthy. He is not pulling to standing yet. I haven't even seen him try. Do I need to lower the crib mattress? I actually have the crib up on risers because I have a bad back and have been told not to lean over when picking up DS under any circumstances. I want DS to be safe but I'd like to keep it on the high rung for as long as possible.

So basically, do I need to lower the mattress?
Thanks,
Shannon

newmomto3kids
08-29-2006, 06:20 PM
I think I would lower it if when DS stands up (even with your help) the top of the crib rail is at his chest or below. Their heads are heavy and big relative to their bodies. If he were to learn to pull up, you wouldn't want him to take a header out of the crib.
Do you have the kind that you can lower the sides (we didn't) to make it easier to put him in?
Good luck.

KBecks
08-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Better sooner than later. Bend your knees when picking him up and lower the side rail -- good to practice now because he will only get heavier.

mamica
08-29-2006, 07:37 PM
I agree sooner rather than later. DD is almost 11 mos, and we lowered it one position about 4-6 weeks ago. Now that she's started to learn to stand, but not yet pulling up, we just moved it to the lowest position.

I always feared that she would get to the next stage in the blink of an eye, so I wanted to beat her to the punch, rather than scrambling to get the mattress lowered when we really had too. We're not to handy around here, so I figured it would take a while to get the crib readjusted, so I wanted to do it on my terms!

Fairy
08-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Most definitely yes. Genie's out of the bottle, and now that he's sitting up by himself, it could be very quickly that he finishes the job. We didn't waste any time and lowered it that very day. He was standing by himself very shortly thereafter.