PDA

View Full Version : Help -- have to let super nanny go -- what's fair?

hillview
08-30-2006, 08:40 AM
So we hired a wonderful woman to watch DS in June. We committed (verbally) to 1 year. I have just found out that my parents need to move in with us (insane financial issue on their side) and for a variety of insane reasons we need to hire them to watch DS full time (they are great with him so that part is good). So super nanny will have to be let go sometime over the next 3-4 months. What is a fair offer for her? I am sure she would find something quickly -- fab references (from us too). Was thinking we'd tell her asap and then give her 3 months to find something -- at her schedule so she can take her time to find something. We have given her 1.5 weeks off paid so far so she has had a good deal from us. Should we do anything else? Other ideas? If you read this far THANKS!
TIA,
/hillary

Calmegja2
08-30-2006, 09:22 AM
I think if you committed for a year, then you need to pay her salary until that year is up, or until she finds another job that replaces the one you hired her for.

I can't think of anything else that would be fair, to be honest.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
08-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Ditto.
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

dhano923
08-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Like the others said, if you committed to one year, you should pay for her the full year. Even if she finds another position before the year is up, or if you no longer need her before the year is up, you still owe her the one year's salary.

Let her know now, but tell her "we won't need your services after December 1 (or whenever), so you are free to accept any job offers after that date, but we will honor our commitment and pay you for the time we hired you for". In many states, a verbal commitment is the same as a written one, and can be enforced in a court of law in many cases.

Elilly
08-30-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm more of a "life happens" and gets in the way kind of person. Tell her, in general terms, what is going on. Be honest. I believe that the 3 month offer is very generous.

sidmand
08-30-2006, 11:31 AM
I think paying her until she finds something and/or three months would be fine. I know our state anyway (MA) is an at-will state. So even if someone committed verbally to a year, they can't really hold either party to that (so she could leave too in under a year). Yes, it's great to pay her for a year, but that's a lot of money and a lot of time left considering she just started in June. And if she's as great as you say, it sounds like she'll find another position easily.

I'd just be as honest with her as you can. Yeah, things happen. No one is perfect and the world isn't a perfect place. I think three months is a good amount of time for both of you.

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

Tondi G
08-30-2006, 05:03 PM
I agree with this. Sit down with her and explain the situation... be honest with her and I bet she will understand! I don't think you are obligated to pay her for the full year..... especially if you give her ample time to find another job, which she probably will quickly!

Good Luck

~Tondi

Momof3Labs
08-30-2006, 05:05 PM
I don't think that paying her for the full year is necessary. But you should pay her until she finds another job, and throw an extra week or two of pay in for her trouble. Also, be prepared to let her go as soon as she finds something new, even if it is while you still need her. She may find the perfect job for her and they may not be willing to wait 3 months until she is available.

table4three
08-30-2006, 05:59 PM
this is just a long shot, but where are you located? we are toying with switching from daycare to nanny. just thought I'd ask in case we lived near by.

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

Sillygirl
08-31-2006, 05:38 AM
I think paying for the full year is far too much to expect. I would give her lots of advance notice so she can find some other work, expecting she might have to leave early. Since she stating working for you all of three months ago, I think a month's pay would be reasonable.

sdbc
08-31-2006, 07:20 AM
I also don't think paying her for a full year is necessary. I would let her know right away, and if she doesn't find another job right away, I would give her 2 months severance (above and beyond the time she works). If she did find a job right away, I would give her 1 month severance as a thank you and an apology for inconveniencing her.

Be aware that she might be leaving you earlier. I assume that your parents can move in earlier to start the childcare if this happens?

hillview
08-31-2006, 07:38 AM
Wow thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately we aren't in a financial position to pay her for a year but we could likely swing a few weeks or a month (of non working time). We are in the Boston area and we pay her $750 a week. As soon as my parents agree to the arraingement we will tell her and give her 3-4 months to find something plus some extra $ as a good faith showing. Mom and dad could start right away so if she finds something quickly that'd be ok -- she will find something quickly -- she is like the uber nanny of the neighborhood she knows everyone.

I wish this wasn't what needed to happen, my parents lost their free place to stay and we need to save $ to be able to afford a down payment for a condo for them -- this is the only way we can figure out how to do that and I am not wild about them living with us for a year but we really don't have another option.

Thanks to you all!
/hillary

Sillygirl
08-31-2006, 11:53 AM
Dear God, Hillary, I hope you mean $750 a month. I don't make $750 a week! Mental note - can ditch fellowship and move to Boston to nanny. . .

hillview
08-31-2006, 03:26 PM
$750 a week ... welcome to the Boston nanny mafia. $15 an hour -- 50 hours a week.

hillview
08-31-2006, 03:26 PM
$750 a week ... welcome to the Boston nanny mafia. $15 an hour -- 50 hours a week.

mommyoftwo
08-31-2006, 03:38 PM
That's insane! My husband doesn't even make that much as a surgical resident.

o_mom
08-31-2006, 03:46 PM
$750/week is under $40,000/year. Not completely unreasonable for a well qualified individual in a high cost of living area. My MIL was making around $23,000/year with free rent and utilities in Arkansas and she is not someone I would leave with my kids for 5 min.

sidmand
08-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Okay, maybe I've been in this area too long (also Boston suburbs), but that doesn't sound at all unreasonable to me. $750/week sounds pretty reasonable for 50 hours a week for a well-qualified person. $15/hour seems about the going-rate around here.

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

kijip
08-31-2006, 07:51 PM
I am on the other coast and $39,000 a year does not sound unreasonable for a great nanny that is working 50 hours a week. $15/hr for live out seems to be the mid wage range here for good nannies. I always wonder about the ads/flyers paying $5-7/hour or even less. In the city, for live out, a nanny is going to need enough to have her own place. It would seem that someone able to work for a whole lot less in busyjob markets would not have a lot of skill or experience.

Lovingliv
08-31-2006, 08:12 PM
I pay $14 for center care.....Boston is pricey. Although, i would think that a nanny would be a little cheaper....

dules
08-31-2006, 08:41 PM
Yeah, that's what it is in NYC area too. We tried to juggle so we only had to do 40 hours at max.

I am having trouble justifying going back to work because the sitter's take home pay will be higher than mine AND she'll be doing the job I want to do! ;)

Best,
Mary

HannaAddict
08-31-2006, 09:55 PM
Like Katie (kiijp) I'm on the other coast too and our friends pay between $40-47,000 a year for good, above board (pay the taxes) live out nannies, plus medical and one or two weeks of vacation a year. Just for a reliable college girl to babysit is $10-12 an hour in our neighborhood.

Good luck on the situation, hope it works out with your parents and you aren't too stressed by the living situation.

Kimberly