PDA

View Full Version : Do you and your partner travel together w/out your kid(s)?

aliceinwonderland
08-30-2006, 03:07 PM
We are ready to book our first real vacation by ourselves since our son was born 2.5 yrs ago, but I am having sudden flying paranoia. It's completely irrational, and I realise this. I am not afraid of flying as such, but afraid that if something were to happen (I did say I was irrational!) he'd lose both parents at one time, which just isn't cool.

DH suggested flying separately, and we'll look into that, but I kind of like flying with DH...

What would you do in such a situation?

cmdunn1972
08-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Eri, welcome back! Hope your recent trip went well. :)

As for your question, I probably wouldn't make decisions based on irrational fear. People are more likely to die in a car crash than an airplane crash, but do you take separate cars everywhere you go? (Eri, I don't you personally don't drive, I was talking from the hypothetical "you", but you get my point.)

That's how I try to look at it anyway!

HTH!

pb&j
08-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Not to be too morbid or anything, but you are waaaaaaay more likely to both die in an auto accident than an airplane accident. If it were me, I'd fly with DH, but take separate cars to the airport. ;)

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34550.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

kaylinsmommy2
08-30-2006, 04:02 PM
I have no problem flying together. Hoever, DH's aunt and uncle always fly separately. However, I believe this may only be true for 1) oversea trips, and 2) when the kids were under the age of 18 (they're now all adults).

I like the points about driving in a car, though.

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

and one on the way, due 2/26/07

crl
08-30-2006, 07:06 PM
We've flown together without DS once. I didn't even think about it (way too busy worrying how DS would do without me for four whole days). I'd do the same again. I think the car point is very valid.

newmomto3kids
08-30-2006, 07:21 PM
That would mean we would actually have to go somewhere without the kids, let alone someplace that involves flying.
Have a wonderful trip, however you decide to go.

erosenst
08-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Just in case there's comfort in numbers - I know a couple of people who always fly separately. I've always thought that was strange, as they'll drive in cars/taxis together. Odds are much better of surviving a plane trip than a car trip.

chlobo
08-31-2006, 06:44 AM
DH & I have had no more than an evening out together so we haven't travelled without DD.

That said, I do know a couple who will *not* fly together without the kids. They take separate flights so its not crazy or unprecedented. And if it gets you to that relaxing & fun destination, what hte heck?

Zana
08-31-2006, 09:09 AM
Probably not...cos we're always looking for the cheap fares :P

Seriously, I guess its best not to start thinking of worst case scenarios like that since you could start applying it anything (apart from flying) .... but you are so not alone in worrying about it anyway!! I'm travelling alone this weekend and I spent a morbid few minutes thinking about what DS and DH would do if something happened to me...I stopped myself when I got to DH's hypothetical re-marriage LOL!!

aliceinwonderland
08-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Oh, I am as morbid as they come. I lamented to DH that we have no life insurance for me before I flew with DS by myself recently. He knows me too well to argue, so he just said "Eh, we have the house as insurance". LOL.

Thanks all for the replies. I did know the car-trip bit, but it's good to be reminded by people more rational than myself :)