PDA

View Full Version : Headboard without a footboard or frame: what to do?

cmo
08-30-2006, 09:19 PM
A little explanation: we have decided on a big boy bed for DS, and it is just a headboard. It is only available online/catalog, so we can't go see it in person. We are foregoing the optional footboard and related frame/slats to save the few inches it takes up as we are in a tight squeeze in his room. My question is: what are the options for the mattress itself and what it rests upon? Is the standard metal bed frame the only option? How does the bed frame attach to the headboard?

My memories as a child sleeping on a metal bed frame are that it was kinda wobbly. Is there any way to avoid that?!

Thanks very much!

-Chris

nfowife
08-30-2006, 10:44 PM
The headboard will attach to the metal frame with screws. Then the boxspring and mattress will rest on the metal frame. DH and I slept on a metal frame setup for a few years before we got a proper bedset, and it wasn't wobbly at all. It should be totally fine as long as it is assembled properly!

dhano923
08-30-2006, 11:02 PM
If you assemble the metal frame properly, it shouldn't wiggle. We've never had a "real" bedframe for our bed. We had a queen bed with a free metal bedframe we got when we bought the bed, and it lasted us for 8 years. Last year we decided to get a king bed and we're now using the free frame we got with that bed. No problems with either one.

new_mommy25
08-31-2006, 01:50 AM
DH and I sleep on a metal bed frame and it is not wobbly at all. We bought it at Costco and it adjusts from a twin through a queen.

american_mama
08-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Haven't done it myself, but some people just bolt the headboard to the wall. That eliminates the headboard moving/banging at all (and I agree with others, a metal bed frame itself shouldn't wobble at all). Not exactly sure how to bolt it, but it would involve drilling new holes in the headboard and wall, but at least the wall holes would be covered up by the footbaord.

I bought a nice used headboard for $5 recently, so I will face this same question as soon as I chose to deal with it.

bostonsmama
08-31-2006, 11:14 AM
I agree w/ everyone else that a properaly assembled standard metal bed frame shouldn't wobble at all. You *can* run into wiggle problems if you have wheels on the frame bottom instead of flat feet, especially if you have hardwood floors. You can lock the wheels or buy replacement flat "feet" at any home improvement store like Lowes/HD. Otherwise, we had a metal bedframe (before we got a wooden sleigh bed, which needs a tightening up a bit after 5 years) and it was very solid.

The headboard should include some hardware to attach to the front of the metal bedframe, if not, some nuts and bolts should do. And it's a perfectly good idea to skip the footboard. I remember a lot of nasty accidents w/ my little brother falling onto that footboard w/ his head when he was a youngin'.

Larissa
"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us--they help us learn to endure." Rom 5:3

praying for my little bean to keep growing, edd may 2nd
Thank GOD! Our #s are doubling!!! Keep it up, bab