PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gift help!! I need to buy at least a dozen teacher gifts.

cchavez
08-31-2006, 10:10 AM
DS is enrolled in public preschool, private preschool and receives private occupational therapy.

I need to buy at least 14 teacher type gift for Xmas and would like to start bargain hunting now. 4-6 gifts should be nicer gifts for his main teachers but I need at least 10 token type gifts for his other "helpers."

Any ideas? I was thinking of getting the main teachers Starbucks gift cards and maybe candy bars with customized greetings for the other "teachers?" I want to give them more than a card but can't spend more than a few dollars on the other teachers....

Also, does anybody know if kinko's does anythings inexpensive and customized for the holidays.....my DH get a big discount at Kinko's. Thanks!

buddyleebaby
08-31-2006, 10:17 AM
Could you make homemade cookies and package them real nicely? I always liked that. Even if I didn;t eat them myself, I had something to put out for guests.

nfowife
08-31-2006, 10:39 AM
I think a gift card for the main teachers is a great idea. But, I would do something like barnes and noble over starbucks. I know that I am not a big coffee drinker so I wouldn't love a starbucks card, kwim? For the aides, one neat gift I got from a parent one year was one of those mason jar cookie mixes. It was homemade, you know what I mean. It had all the dry ingredients layered in a jar, had a label with the recipe and instructions, and was packaged very cute. If you are making a bunch of them it could be very cheap!

kristenk
08-31-2006, 10:58 AM
My favorite brownie recipe is from a mason jar mix! (If you're interested in doing the mason jars and would like a recipe, I can give you the brownie recipe.)

I agree that Borders or B&N would be better than Starbucks. Can you use bookstore gift cards for the coffee bars inside them? I think you can at Borders but I'm not sure about B&N.

candybomiller
08-31-2006, 11:00 AM
I want the brownie recipe!! :)

bostonsmama
08-31-2006, 11:21 AM
You can use Barnes & Noble gift cards at the Starbucks within B&N stores, but you can't use Starbucks gift cards in the B&N stores...trust me...I've tried! So, I guess that would be a better gift. I'm sure teachers get a million mugs, but the best gift I got one year (as an end-of-year gift) was a really neat Latte mug and coffee house giftcard. They serve more than coffee there!! The cool thing about B&N giftcards is that I *THINK* they serve cheesecake from CF there....so yummy! I think a $5 mug and $5-10 B&N card are WAY superior gift.

But the brownie mix in a jar sounds awesome, too!

I get baked treats a lot now that I'm teaching Sunday School. It's always welcomed.

Larissa
"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us--they help us learn to endure." Rom 5:3

Praying for my little bean to keep growing, edd may 2nd
Thank GOD! Our #s are doubling! Keep it up, baby!

pb&j
08-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Why not just a card with a heartfelt note and "art" from the kids? A gift is not a requirement, and a true expression of your thanks would likely be very well-received. I'm sure teachers and aides get a lot of "tokens" that will not be long-remembered, but kind and sincere words will go a long way toward enhancing the spirit of the holiday season.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34550.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

bnme
08-31-2006, 11:31 AM
I am thinking of ordering these address stamp gift kits for DS's teachers. You can get 5 gift kits for $15 each and the recipient gets to customize with picture/address, etc. I just ordered 2 custom stamps as gifts so I'll wait and see how they turn out. I havent ordered from this site before but I saw them here in post on return address labels.

ETA link!
http://www.paperangel.com/store/gifts.html

karolyp
08-31-2006, 11:40 AM
A good gift that I've read about here on the boards to get is some of the really nice soaps from Bath and Body Works because they aren't so harsh to use on your skin (and teachers have to wash constantly - right?) and because they smell so good. Plus you can probably get a bunch of them for pretty cheap (esp when they have their soap sales - and one might be going on now, if I'm not mistaken).

Anyhow, I hope this helps and have fun shopping!

ctmom
08-31-2006, 12:05 PM
these are great!! Let us know how they turn out!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

kaylinsmommy2
08-31-2006, 12:25 PM
I just wanted to add that the teachers at our preschool specifically prefer Target giftcards, since pretty much everyone shops at Target. They could stock up on household items (TP, tissue, toothpaste), food items, clothing items, or even toy/book items for the class, if they chose.

But last year, before I knew about this preference, I did the Barnes and Noble gift cards.

ITA that some homemade cookies/brownies would be great. Another option is to do a big fruit basket for the helper teachers to share (so something for the teachers of one classroom).

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

and one on the way, due 2/26/07

ctmom
08-31-2006, 12:41 PM
yes, please share the brownie recipe!!

Thanks!
Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

kelly ann
08-31-2006, 12:53 PM
I am interested in these...let us know what you think. Pretty Please!

cchavez
08-31-2006, 01:48 PM
There is a french bakery near my house....I think I will get them a gc from there that way they can enjoy breakfast or lunch on us. The "token" gift is b/c I want to show all of his other helpers how appreciative we are. I used to be an SLP in the public school system and I worked w/ low income children we hardly every got gifts from them but simple cards meant the world to us....more than any gift they could give us. So I do plan on including a heartfelt card w/ the "token" gifts...

The brownie mix sounds great....how inexpensive is it after the jars/ingredients are purchased.

A big problem for me is that I am craft/baking impaired so I wanted to get something premade. TIA!

kristenk
08-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Here's a link to the recipe that I've used before:

http://chefmom.com/askchefmom/sandart.htm

Actually, it's not very long, so the recipe's printed out below. I usually make them without nuts, but I'm not trying to fill up a quart jar, either. It should be easy to take them out if they're on the top. I've also heard that it's a good idea to use a funnel (either a real one, or a piece of rolled up waxed paper), to actually get the cocoa down to its own layer without getting lots of cocoa powder on the inside of the jar.

Layer these ingredients in a quart jar in the order given, leveling each one as you add it. Start at the bottom of each jar and add:

3/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup plus 2 Tblsp. All-purpose Flour
1/3 cup Cocoa
1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
2/3 cup Brown Sugar
2/3 cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup Vanilla Chips
1/2 cup Chopped Nuts (the top layer)

Brenda notes that you need to make sure the jar is full to the very top, in order to maintain the "sand art" appearance. Then, for a festive touch, cover the lid with a 7-1/2-inch circle of fabric tied with ribbon or raffia. Finish with a tag that lists the required liquid ingredients and notes baking instructions (below).

To prepare your brownies: In a large mixing bowl, combine the contents of this jar with 3 well-beaten eggs, 2/3 cup vegetable oil, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Stir well to combine all ingredients. Pour batter into a well-greased 9x13-inch cake pan and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool and cut into squares!

crl
08-31-2006, 01:56 PM
I agree on the Target gift card idea. Pretty much everyone shops there and I think most teachers end up buying supplies, etc out of pocket so at least they can use the gift card for some of that stuff.

I also like the idea of having the child participate by drawing pictures or something for everyone.

On the nice note theme, I think it is nice to send a letter to the principal (or boss) with a copy to all of the teacher/assistants, etc.

For a token gift, I think the soap idea is a very nice one. Coffee/tea type gifts always run the risk that the person doesn't drink those things (I don't). For something from Kinkos, maybe they could do quality copies of some sort of photo collage of the class?

mom to little e
08-31-2006, 01:58 PM
These sound great. I wonder how early you could prepare these?? (I am already shopping and planning for Christmas!)

Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

kristenk
08-31-2006, 02:08 PM
I tried to email you a copy (in case you didn't see it posted here), but it came back as undeliverable. I just wanted to let you know in case you're having trouble receiving other messages!

kristenk
08-31-2006, 02:11 PM
It *seems* like you could prepare them fairly early. Or, you could just buy everything as you see it on sale and then assemble them later. It seems like the only potential "problem ingredient" would be the brown sugar, which could harden, but it's not like it's packed down or anything... Hmmmm. Anyone else have any ideas?

nfowife
08-31-2006, 02:14 PM
I think you could make them up pretty far in advance. I know that after I got mine as a gift, I didn't make it for a few months afterwards and the cookies still tasted yummy!

CiderLogan
08-31-2006, 02:47 PM
nak

those are so cute!! please post w/ a review when you get yours!

Jenny
Julia, 8/03
Clara, 5/06

brittone2
08-31-2006, 03:33 PM
When I was working I always appreciated something as simple as a little sample of artwork and a notecard from the parents and/or child. I have a momento box where i've kept a few of my favorites.

I also received a Blockbuster card one time (for $5) in a big unpopped popcorn tub with a box of candy or two. I thought that was cute and useful, although with Netflix, etc. I guess a lot of people don't use Blockbuster anymore.

A GC to a coffee shop or for lunch would be wonderful, as would homemade goodies.

A GC to Michaels or AC Moore type places could be useful especially for OTs.

kaylinsmommy2
08-31-2006, 03:50 PM
Where can I buy quart jars? I'm sure I'd recognize it if I saw it, but I have no idea where to find them. :)

Thanks for this recipe - I'm definitely going to make a bunch of these this year. Thank you!!

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

and one on the way, due 2/26/07

maestramommy
08-31-2006, 05:11 PM
As a former teacher I would say that Starbucks or Jamba Juice cards were my favorites. I can't tell you how many boxes of chocolates I got, but I will say that I regifted almost all of them (not wrapped, just brought them to my family or friends if we were invited to dinner). I also got a lot of Barnes and Noble or Borders cards, but they were for more than $10. I think writing a card to tell them how much you appreciate their care and help is very meaningful. I often enjoyed the homemade cards from my students with personal messages MUCH more than some of the over the top expensive gifts that I got. Agree with Kbecks about acknowledgement/express appreciation but a "gift" isn't obligatory.

ETA: I worked in a private girls school where most of the students were quite affluent, and I was rather amazed/shocked at some of the gifts I got in the beginning. The headmistress really tried to send the message to parents about this kind of gift giving. Finally one year the 5th grade homeroom teachers took matter into their own hands and told the kids not to give them any gifts, instead make cards, and attach a recipe, or bake cookies. They even carved out classroom time to spend on making the cards. A year later the 6th grade teachers followed them by having the girls put together a book of favorite sweets recipes. Every teacher got one. I noticed a sharp decrease in lavish gift giving after this, and it was really nice, because getting these unbelievable gifts can feel a little oppressive sometimes. And some of the kids are quite artistic, so they came up with amazing cards. I still keep them to this day.

bnme
08-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Sure. It my be about 2 weeks. I am really hoping I like them because I am planning to use them for a bunch of Xmas gifts.

kransden
08-31-2006, 09:35 PM
I would give the token teachers 5.00 gift cards to Target. If you buy one everytime you are at Target it won't break your budget. If they got several of them from their kids it would really add up for the teachers! Make home cards from your son to go along with them.

If 5.00 is more than you want to spend, then I would make cookies or candy. As pp said even if they don't eat them they like to share. Most people don't make candy so it is usually a special treat!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

JenDC
08-31-2006, 10:54 PM
As a teacher, I can tell you the thing that I most appreciated. A personal note telling the teacher how much she/he has meant to you and your child. I've saved and treasured all of the notes I received from parents and students. Gift cards are good, and Starbucks is fine if they drink coffee. A nice big Hershey bar is good, especially if wrapped up and with a nice note. I never liked getting personalized stuff, but that's just me. Oh- avoid things with apples or pencils on them!

SeekerMage
08-31-2006, 11:24 PM
What about rather then individual gifts making a donation of some sort to the class? We didnt have money for xmas gifts last year and went through all of our kids books and found some brand new looking ones and made a class donation with a card DD made....the teachers thought it was an awesome gift. It also saved a lot of running around etc. Maybe that and a note to each of the teachers/helpers with a candy bar or some other sweet (baked cookies brownies etc) with a note from dd saying how "sweet they are" etc. HTHS!

caheinz
08-31-2006, 11:52 PM
>Where can I buy quart jars? I'm sure I'd recognize it if I
>saw it, but I have no idea where to find them. :)
>

I've seen them seasonally at grocery stores, Ace hardware has a good selection (and it's year-round), KMart/WalMart has had them. We're coming into harvest time, so canning supplies are going to be showing up a little more frequently.

The Ball jars come in white boxes with labelling color-coded to what's inside. The quart jars are probably about 5-6"high, so the box will be taller than the pint jars (3-4").

And I'm filing this idea away -- it does sound like a great teacher gift!

DrSally
09-01-2006, 01:03 PM
My sister is a 1st grade teacher and she always loves Target giftcards for school supplies, and Kohl's gift cards for clothes for herself (she hardly buys, so this gives her an excuse). Someone last year gave her a nice pitcher from pampered chef I believe and put hand printed cards with different drink receipes in it. She thought that was a really neat gift. Cute dishtowels/potholders, plants, Frango mints (if you live by a Marshall Fields)...

DrSally
09-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Also, the nicely scented hand sanitizers from Bath and body works. My sister uses this constantly in her classroom