PDA

View Full Version : Do you get routine physical exams?

tny915
08-31-2006, 11:38 AM
Aside from my annual with my OBGYN, I don't see doctors unless I'm sick. I might see my primary care doctor once a year, if that. Is there a suggested schedule to follow for getting things like cholesterol and blood checked? What do they check at a physical, anyway?

megs4413
08-31-2006, 11:55 AM
I think the guidelines change with your age, but once a year for a physical exam sounds reasonable to me if you are otherwise in good health. I would have my cholesterol, BP, weight, breasts, lymphnodes, etc. checked. I dont know if a generic "physical" would be that helpful, but maybe just a time with the doc to keep an eye on things and address any concerns...I also like to have a doc do a breast exam every so often, because they're better at it I think...I don't remember what age they recommend doing yearly mammograms at, but that's something to consider as well. HTH!

bostonsmama
08-31-2006, 04:21 PM
I've seen so many doctors over the past couple of years that it's ridiculous, but all the same I did make a run to my PCM to get my annual exam and PAP done, and it's always a very thorough evaluation (1/2 hr appt) where I can ask for things like a cholesterol test or even a heartburn Rx. But I'm sure it's up to your HMO/PPO and doctor's policy. Some have rules of only one complaint per appt to cut down on appt time overruns.

Like the PP, I presume if you're in your late 40s/50s (or have a family history of disease or cancer) and need to be concerned w/ mammograms, colonoscopies, etc, it's probably best to schedule an appt so you can get the referral in. Otherwise, I'm usually sick w/ a cold or flu at least once a year, so I try to address any extraneous questions at that visit. But no, I've never scheduled a "well-me" visit.

ETC spelling & for clarity

Larissa
"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us--they help us learn to endure." Rom 5:3

Praying for my little bean to keep growing, edd may 2nd
Thank GOD! Our #s are doubling! Keep it up, baby!

maestramommy
08-31-2006, 04:33 PM
I try to go once a year, although sometimes I won't go for well over. I used to get my annual pap and all that from my PCP at the same time because I lost my OB and had a hard time getting another recommendation. Nowadays I think annual is a good idea because I'm not getting any younger and it's a good idea to stay on top of basic things like blood levels and such.

o_mom
08-31-2006, 04:59 PM
I do try and see her once a year. It hasn't been every year lately because I have been preg. most of the time. I try and schedule it 6 mos after my OB annual exam so that I get a clinical breast exam every 6 mos.

Last time I was in she did a physical exam, breast exam, lots of blood work and gave me an order for an mammogram.

smilequeen
08-31-2006, 05:05 PM
I am really good about the OBGYN. I try to get to my regular MD every 1-2 years (he said 2 years was fine while young and healthy). I had a check up with him right before I got pregnant with Simon and another just the other day, so it was almost 3 years this time, but I was pregnant for part of that and seeing my OBGYN more than enough :)

Mine does a height and weight, urine test, and full blood panel. Checks my lymph nodes, reflexes, liver, heart, and lungs. Does all the questions. I think that about covers it. I was glad I went this time since they caught a UTI before I had any symptoms.

Corie
08-31-2006, 05:33 PM
I go to my internist once a year for a physical/well-check.
I probably wouldn't go as often but they won't refill my
Zomig and I NEED my migraine medicine. :) So, off we go!!

jayali
08-31-2006, 06:52 PM
I go for a full physical once a year. I too usually space it 6 months after my gyn appointment. She does an EKG, tons of blood work, and an extensive physical exam (won't go into the gory details). I am over 40 and have history of high cholesterol and triglycerides so I go for blood screening fairly often so that she can monitor the levels. I also have a full breast exam at a breast center once a year. That includes manual exam, mammography and ultrasound. Last visit she told me that I didn't need an ultrasound because of the density of my breast tissue. I think I had my baseline mammogram at 37 and have been going once a year since 40, except when I was pregnant.

I have found that keeping these yearly exams has helped me build a sort of relationship with my primary care doctor. That really helps when certain things pop-up, like an achy spleen (turned out to be mono), horrible indigestion (turned out to be pregnant). But I feel like she knows me and my story.

Wow, way too long winded an snswer. I guess the summary is:
Yeah I go for an annual physical and recommend that people do it.