PDA

View Full Version : Okay, what is bologna?

kaylinsmommy2
08-31-2006, 01:24 PM
What's actually in it? I've never had any as a child - we didn't do sandwitches very often, but if we did, it was usually just turkey or pastrami. Does it taste good? I have, on occasion, sang the Oscar Mayer bologna commercial jingle to Kaylin, becuase it's very catchy.

Their website only gives nutritional information, not ingredient info: http://www.kraftfoods.com/om/bn/c_Products/CC_Bologna.htm#

Just curious.

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

and one on the way, due 2/26/07

BillK
08-31-2006, 01:38 PM
I always just assumed it was all the leftover pieces and parts at the end of the day at the butcher shop all ground up into one big old mass of processed meatstuff. ;)

oh yea - yes it tastes good! :)

hudsonam
08-31-2006, 01:38 PM
yea, I'm not sure what's in it, but it is tasty, and I recommend Loeffler's bologna. :)

rockchick15
08-31-2006, 01:42 PM
i agree, don't know what is in it, but it is especially good fried on a fried egg sandwich!

MartiesMom2B
08-31-2006, 01:48 PM
I always thought of blogna being a big hot dog. They kind of look the same. The taste is different though.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

Jacksonvol
08-31-2006, 01:56 PM
You really don't want to know what goes into bologna. My recollection is that it contains the left over meats that are not used in other cuts/sausages. (everything but the squeal) It is seasoned with various spices, but is not spicy hot. My brother loved it because he could cut it into shapes with canape cutters and put it on his sandwich. I like it fried, on white bread with mayo. You can feel your arteries start to harden.

psophia17
08-31-2006, 03:07 PM
I've always thought bologna was thinly sliced hot dog - yummy.

My favorite brand (which they don't sell in Canada :( ) is Wunderbar. Yum.

psophia17
08-31-2006, 03:07 PM
I've always thought bologna was thinly sliced hot dog - yummy.

My favorite brand (which they don't sell in Canada :( ) is Wunderbar. Yum.

Drag0nflygirl
08-31-2006, 03:10 PM
You could try the Boarshead all beef kosher kind. It's super yummy and you don't have to worry about what's in it.

Drag0nflygirl
08-31-2006, 03:10 PM
You could try the Boarshead all beef kosher kind. It's super yummy and you don't have to worry about what's in it.

Corie
08-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Whenever I see bologna in the grocery, I always think
of this scene from Coal Miner's Daughter. :)

Loretta Lynn: I'm gettin' so sick of baloney.
Doolittle: You are? Well, you know what they say about eatin' baloney, don't you?
Loretta Lynn: No, what?
Doolittle: Makes you horny.
Loretta Lynn: What does that mean?
Doolittle: [starts laughing] Are you so dadburn ignorant you don't know what horny means?
Loretta Lynn: No, what does it mean?
Doolittle: I ain't gonna tell you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Loretta Lynn: [in a radio interview] Shoot, we've been driving so much, I don't know where I am half the time. But it's fun. We sing, and talk, and Doo - that's my husband - he'll get to acting horny.
Speedy West: [shocked] What!
Loretta Lynn: And the more I laugh, the hornier he gets, and then he'll say, "Loretta, spread me up another one of them baloney sandwiches!"
Radio station manager: [later] I don't know where in the hell you think you are, lady, but that kind of smut don't go in this part of the country!
Loretta Lynn: I didn't know it was dirty! I thought "horny" meant cuttin' up and acting silly!

Corie
08-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Whenever I see bologna in the grocery, I always think
of this scene from Coal Miner's Daughter. :)

Loretta Lynn: I'm gettin' so sick of baloney.
Doolittle: You are? Well, you know what they say about eatin' baloney, don't you?
Loretta Lynn: No, what?
Doolittle: Makes you horny.
Loretta Lynn: What does that mean?
Doolittle: [starts laughing] Are you so dadburn ignorant you don't know what horny means?
Loretta Lynn: No, what does it mean?
Doolittle: I ain't gonna tell you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Loretta Lynn: [in a radio interview] Shoot, we've been driving so much, I don't know where I am half the time. But it's fun. We sing, and talk, and Doo - that's my husband - he'll get to acting horny.
Speedy West: [shocked] What!
Loretta Lynn: And the more I laugh, the hornier he gets, and then he'll say, "Loretta, spread me up another one of them baloney sandwiches!"
Radio station manager: [later] I don't know where in the hell you think you are, lady, but that kind of smut don't go in this part of the country!
Loretta Lynn: I didn't know it was dirty! I thought "horny" meant cuttin' up and acting silly!

jgriffin
08-31-2006, 08:48 PM
If you have to ask, you probably don't want to know. :)

I loved bologna as a kid. I would always get a slice at the butcher shop, and it was good stuff. DH (and FIL) waxes about his mom's fried bologna sandwiches, apparently the best comfort food in the world.

I never thought to ask what was in it. Ignorance is bliss, I believe.