PDA

View Full Version : Winter getaways for families, and when can a toddler try skiing?

hudsonam
08-31-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm looking into where to take our vacation in Jan or Feb of next year when my DS will have just turned 2. I am kind of leaning towards somewhere warm, but if we wanted to go somewhere cold, like CO or Toronto, what would be a good family destination without being outrageously expensive? Also, at what age can you do kiddie ski lessons with a little one? I don't ski, but my husband used to, and it would be fun to do something with DS like that. Maybe there are other things for toddlers to do at ski resorts? I was a beach family growing up, so I'm clueless about that. ;-) Any ideas or suggestions for destinations and things to do with a toddler?

teddy
08-31-2006, 02:23 PM
DH comes from a skiing family and he feels strongly that age 4 is about right to start on skis.

We went to Steamboat, CO a few years back when DD just turned 1 year old. To us, it was super family friendly. Lots of kids and families, ski school for toddler/preschool age, and just everyone seemed happy to see kids. Although DD did not ski, we rode on the big gondola a bunch of times, we did the western dinner, we just played in the snow. There was also a sleigh ride we didn't do. There was a little shopping area to visit. I think you could sled in the evenings. We also brought an inflatable sled and pulled DD around the ski village. We were there over New Year's so all the ski instructors skiied down the mountain with flares. It was neat-o. If I can remember where we stayed, I'll post back. It was all condos and walking distance to the mountain.

hudsonam
08-31-2006, 02:28 PM
That sounds wonderful! I'd love to hear exactly where you stayed!

Mommy_Again
08-31-2006, 10:25 PM
we were in Steamboat for New Years 05 (Dec 04/Jan 05) and DS was 1 year too! We also stayed at a condo within walking distance of the slopes. My parents booked it all so I cannot remember the name but I will try to find it. It is a very kid friendly place and they have a great child care facility at the foot of the mountain. I saw kids as young as 2-3 on the bunny slopes and we will ski Will next time we go (he is almost 3 now - but I would have tried earlier if we went).

hudsonam
09-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Thanks! That's great to know!

rrosen
09-01-2006, 07:52 AM
My daughter went skiing on bunny slopes several times last winter (she was 2) By the end of the winter she was fairly confident on her skiis. We expect that by then end of this winter she will graduate from the rope pulls to the chair lift.

kss611
09-01-2006, 09:37 AM
DD was up on skis at 2 1/2 for short periods of time. Last winter at 3 1/2 she was able to be on the slopes for most of the day with DH. I believe that at a majority of ski resorts/areas you have to be 4 to participate in their lesson programs.

I have not been to Steamboat, but have heard wonderful things about it and what a great family destination it is. I believe that they even have lessons for little ones under the age of 4.

bubbaray
09-01-2006, 11:13 AM
ITA -- a lot of the major hills now start their ski schools at age 4. Most do have childcare for younger ones and you might be able to hire a private instructor for lessons under age 4.

FWIW, DH (who is a ski instructor) will be teaching DD this winter. She'll be a little over 2.5 yrs. I'm not too keen on it, I think its too young, but we'll see how it goes. As long as she has fun (she loves the snow already), I guess there's no harm (she'll have a helmet on). We're already talking it up and she got her ski suit last weekend.

DH wants to have her in a racing program by school age. Sigh.

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/fYrCm7.png

table4three
09-01-2006, 12:52 PM
thanks for posting this. my in-laws take us skiing each year to breckenridge. last year ds was 9 months old and mil and i took turns staying back at the condo with ds. i was thinking about skipping this year's trip since i don't want ds to be cooped up inside for so long. but after reading this thread, i did a little investigating and it looks like there are some fun things to do in breckenridge - children's museum, sleighride, sledding.

thanks for the ideas!

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

hez
09-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Ahhh... I have hope then :) We're debating a CO ski trip this year (haven't gone since I was 3 mos pg with Payton), and were thinking Payton could probably give it a whirl at 3 1/2-- sounds like there's a definite chance!

We should probably take him to the dinky hill nearby a couple times, first, eh?

jayali
09-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Can my DS learn to ski if we don't ski with him? I used to ski, but bad knees forced me to hang it up about 15 years ago. DH is afraid of heights so he won't be going up on a ski lift, plus he has never been on skiis. I really want DS to ski. I learned later in life and was only mediocre, so I feel that if he starts young he will enjoy it more and have a chance to be better at it. We live in the Northeast so we have access to both Bromley and Stratton mountains and was wondering if anyone has used their ski schools.

To the original poster, we are heading to Florida in January. We are going to Naples and staying at the Ritz-Carlton. They are known to be VERY kid friendly. So that is another suggestion of the warmer variety.

What ever you decide - have fun!

bubbaray
09-01-2006, 03:38 PM
SOME resorts do have a small-kids children's ski school for the really little kids on the bunny hill. What determines where that is located is the elevation of the buildings vs the runs and where the snow line is. So, if you are at a resort that d/n often have snow in the village, you are likely going to have to take a lift to get to the snow and therefore to get to the ski school, even for the little kids.

Most of the resorts I've been to, the ski schools are up the mountain (maybe not right at the very top, but certainly up a lift). I've not skied on the East Coast, but do the resorts there have gondolas instead of chair lifts? Or high-speed lifts with full covers? Your DH might be more comfortable with those. If he won't be skiing down, I'd recommend a gondola down -- downloading on a chair lift can be un-nerving!

Personally, I wouldn't let DD go up on a lift/gondola without either DH or me (and, honestly, I'm weirded out by her going on a lift at all -- she's so little and could slide out! Gondolas I'm fine with). I'd perhaps let her go up with FIL, but the jury is still out on that (DH's whole family are ski-freaks).

FWIW, we really liked the Naples/Ft. Myers area (though haven't stayed at the Ritz)!

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/fYrCm7.png

StantonHyde
09-01-2006, 08:08 PM
We live in Salt Lake City. There are 7 ski places within 30 minutes of downtown. Many places let small kids ski free on the bunny hill--you have to pay. You can stay in town relatively inexpensively and even take a bus to ski! They also offer great ski/hotel packages. It is rarely colder than 30 F in town and they are awesome with snow removal.

It is also cheaper to rent skis in town. If you rent skis for DC, get an "edgie wedgie"--holds their tips together and it is totally worth it to buy a ski harness. We got ours at REI.

Lowest age for lessons is 4. They do have child care/snow play for younger kids. DS started last year at 3, I have friends who started at 2. Depends on the kid.