PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions regarding Naples, Florida

jayali
08-31-2006, 03:44 PM
DH and I are planning to go to Naples in January or February. We originally were going to stay at the Ritz, but then someone suggested the Hotel Escalante. Anybody in the area want to chime in on either of these hotels. We will probably be going for 4 or 5 nights with DS who will be almost three by then. If you have any other suggestions I am open to all of them.

Thanks!

BargainMomforLuke
08-31-2006, 04:17 PM
My husband and I stayed at Hotel Escalante a couple of years ago. Although it is a beautiful hotel, the hotel room walls are very, very thin. A drunken couple came in at 3 a.m. and proceeded to have a very loud romp. It literally sounded like they were in our room. I was not happy to be woken to that and have to listen to their escapades. We pounded on the wall several times and they kept going at it. When they talked to each other, we could hear every word they said. Due to that incident, I would never stay there again.

I would definitely opt for the Ritz. My mom recently stayed there and had a wonderful time.

-Natalie

jayali
08-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the tip. Last thing I need is for DS to be waken up in the middle of the night. I guess we will just book the Ritz. Any suggestions for places to eat right in Naples?

Marisa6826
08-31-2006, 06:16 PM
You can always go visit Hydra. ;)

She lives in Naples.

-m

jenmcadams
08-31-2006, 07:30 PM
I just moved back to CO from Naples a few months ago. We moved down when my DH sold his company to a company there and he was part of the package, so we had to go for year. Even though I could never live there again, I think it's a nice place to visit.

I stayed at the Ritz for 4-5 nights during a conference my DH was hosting (even though we lived in town, I couldn't resist the chance to stay at the Ritz for free :)) and I think it was great with kids. They were so nice to my daughter (she was also just about 3) and even though she was too young officially for their kids club, one day my Nanny came and watched Abbie and they let them go in the kids club and use the art supplies, etc. My DD asked for weeks and weeks why we couldn't live at the Ritz -- I just kept telling her that everyone wishes they lived at the Ritz :)

I love the fact that the Ritz always has food options for the kiddos and they're great about bringing crayons, etc. As far as food places at the hotel itself, the poolside restaurant is pretty good and right next to the family pool (another great feature b/c the grown-ups who don't want kids around can always go to the adult pool and the kid pool has tons of inflatable toys, bottled water, and fruit for the kiddos). Another good option that's part of the hotel is Gumbo Limbo (which is down by the beach and outdoors). As far as places to eat in Naples itself, old Naples/5th Avenue has lots of great restaurants and there are definitely options for kids (especially if they do ok in nice restaurants -- my DD was always fine in the chain type places, but I probably wouldn't have taken her to most places on 5th). A couple of good options in the nicer restaurant category (espcially if you end up using a babysitter one night) are Chops (my fav), Pazzo and Yabba (all owned by the same restaurant company(http://www.culinaryconceptsofnaples.com/). If you want some recs on chains, sushi, thai, chinese, unique fast food, etc., just let me know. My DH and I were/are the king and queen of takeout.

As far as other activities beyond the beach, you might consider the Naples Zoo -- it's small, but tropical and interesting. If your little guy needs somewhere to jump around and have crazy time, there's a local gym (Gymnastics World) that does an open gym (with bounce houses, slides, trampolines, a foam pit, etc.) once or twice a week in season -- it used to be on Tuesday and Wednesday from 10-11 for $9. And as far as shopping, 5th avenue is fun for unique shops and Waterside shops (which is relatively close to the Ritz) should be pretty much done with their renovations and it's more of a (very) upscale, outdoor mall.

jayali
09-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Jen,

Thanks so much for your reply. You sealed the deal on the Ritz. Now I just have to book it. Your reply has me prompted me to do so before the end of the weekend. I always love something to look forward to after the holidays.

Thanks again!

nfowife
09-01-2006, 03:34 PM
I would definitely do the Ritz, or as a second choice, the Registry. Both are really nice resorts. The Registry has a great seafood buffet though :) .

jclober
09-03-2006, 08:53 PM
I can't comment on the hotels, but I bet your DS will love the playground at Cambier Park right around the corner from 5th Ave/downtown Naples. My kids loved it.

jenmcadams
09-04-2006, 10:07 AM
That's a great suggestion -- very cool park! There's a good deli right across the street from Cambier that we always used to get sandwiches at and take to the park for a picnic on weekends.