PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever pawned anything?

ajmom
08-31-2006, 08:29 PM
Just curious... we are in need of some cash and I have a few pieces of jewelry that I wouldn't miss- just thinking that pawning would be the quickest route. Has anyone here ever done it? Care to share your thoughts/experiences?

rockchick15
08-31-2006, 09:49 PM
i pawned my first engagement and wedding rings when my ex and I filed for divorce after i found out he was cheating on me. I did not get much for either, along with a few gold rings and a bracelet he gave me. I think I got $100 total. My diamond was only a quarter carat. For me, it helped to get rid of the stuff he gave me.

Judegirl
08-31-2006, 09:51 PM
I have. I pawned a good deal of my mother's jewelry when I had no other choice. I now very much wish I hadn't.

I don't really know how it worked; all I did was go to the local pawn shop and put it on a scale. I got very little for it.

HTH,
Jude

HannaAddict
08-31-2006, 09:57 PM
Pawn shops don't give people much. If you want the items back and are sure you can pay up to get them back, I guess you could try it. I think you would do better trying to list the items on craigslist or something like that if you don't think you will get them back. A pawnshop doesn't give you anything close to what they are worth.

Kimberly

tarabenet
08-31-2006, 10:47 PM
If you really won't miss them, sell them outright. A pawnshop will give you way less than half of what the items are worth, and will charge you a lot of interest to get the things back. Will you have that money later? If it may be a hardship on you later, then you will probably either re-sign on the items or let them go -- either way, you end up losing a lot of hte value that you currently own in those things.

My ex was big on pawning. It was a bad idea. He lost tools, our good china and my sewing machine, among other things, to pawning them. (I generally didn't know he was up to these tricks until too late.) It became a good idea, though, when I finally pawned my wedding and engagement rings and sent him the pawn tickets along with the divorce papers! LOL

ShanaMama
08-31-2006, 10:54 PM
If you're looking to raise cash, don't want them back, & it's only jewelery- why not go to a jeweler?
The value of gold is pretty high right now, & I've seen quite a few jewelery stores advertising that they buy back gold. You'd probably get much more than from a pawn shop.

kijip
08-31-2006, 11:27 PM
To sell them, try eBay, Craigslist or a jewelry store. All will be better $$ than a pawn shop.