PDA

View Full Version : OT:Were you a New Kids on the Block fan?

buddyleebaby
08-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Spin-off from a discuaaion in bitching.
Some of us (ahem, Colleen) were wondering how many would admit to this if asked...so I thought I'd find out!

Jenn98
08-31-2006, 10:10 PM
I am proud to admit that even as a fifth grader I knew enough to be aware that NKOTB were terrible and so not my thing! Even to this day I favor female musicians and have never really been able to relate to the boy band/bubble gum pop at all.

lisams
08-31-2006, 10:21 PM
You got the right stuff, baby!

Heck ya! Did you ever hear the rumor that went around that there was sperm found in one of the singer's stomach. At that age I had no clue how it got in there and what that meant. I thought maybe it meant he had some problems with his "plumbing" down there!! Oh the niave days, how far gone they are.

megs4413
08-31-2006, 10:40 PM
i'm STILL hangin' tough....

EllasMum
08-31-2006, 10:42 PM
LOL! We heard that same rumor around here but it was Rod Stewart and the aforementioned bodily fluid!

I actually have Danny Wood's autograph. Remember him? My sister's friend worked at the local YMCA, and when NKOTB were in town they went there to play basketball. My sister's friend called and asked if I wanted to come meet them but I had no way to get down there so she said she'd get me some autographs. I still have it... somewhere... not that anybody knows who Danny Wood is anymore... :)

Mommy_Again
08-31-2006, 11:16 PM
I was in the prime boy-band stage in my life when they hit it big - 7th grade. But they were about as uncool of a band as you could find at my school. I remember my best friend went to the concert and she got teased mercilessly.

of course, let the radio play an nsync or backstreet song these days and you'll find me be-bopping along in my car....my, how the mighty have fallen!

kijip
08-31-2006, 11:44 PM
They had fans? Not where I grew up.

cmdunn1972
09-01-2006, 06:50 AM
OMG I was outed! :o

Yep, I was a fan in high school and even went to a NKOTB concert. What can I say except that it was the late '80s and I was totally into pop music at that age. I have since "lost" all NKOTB albums that I once owned. :P

katerinasmom
09-01-2006, 07:13 AM
My sister and my three cousins and practiced dance routines to NKOTB songs in our living room and my very first concert was a NKOTB concert. Me, my sister and my parents all went. It was my parents' Christmas present to us and I remember that they bought the tickets from a broker at ridiculous prices that they really could'nt afford at the time.

elliput
09-01-2006, 07:18 AM
I don't think there were many fans where I grew up either. I can't name one of their songs, tell you how many guys were in the band, or what instruments they played ;-).

bostonsmama
09-01-2006, 07:20 AM
Why would someone be embarrassed about being a fan of music that was popular at the given time? Everything changes with time. Heck, those awful acid wash, skinny-leg jeans and leggins and big hair....it's all coming back. Just think how cool we get to tell our kids we were! That's what's fun about an era. The worst thing is when you look back at pictures and for the life of you cannot tell when it took place b/c you have no fashion, hair or makeup trends that date the photo.

Anyways, I had a button or two from NKOTB, and I was madly in love w/ Joey. And, isn't Mark Walberg....no, his brother, Donny Walberg, a great actor now? Yum!

Larissa
"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us--they help us learn to endure." Rom 5:3

Praying for my little bean to keep growing, edd may 2nd
Thank GOD! Our #s are doubling! Keep it up, baby!

LD92599
09-01-2006, 07:36 AM
My 1st roommate in college was the BIGGEST NKOTB fan I'd ever met. She'd take weekend trips to Boston to stalk them, seriously! Her room at home was covered in posters, etc.

I wonder where she is now...

Laura
Will is three...and doesn't sleep :-(

[img]http://b4.lilypie.com/vEOmm4.png

Use a Mac? Interested in learning more about them? Join us!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB-MacUsers/

hudsonam
09-01-2006, 07:46 AM
OMG, my best friend and I in 7th grade used to do the same thing! And they were my first concert too (only because my parents wouldn't let me go to a Bon Jovi concert in 5th grade). I loved NKOTB, as did just about every girl in my school, so I'm not afraid to admit it. :)

muskiesusan
09-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Um, my kids know the dance to "Hangin' Tough." For some reason, DH doesn't find it quite as cute.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

buddyleebaby
09-01-2006, 08:28 AM
LOL!

cmdunn1972
09-01-2006, 09:31 AM
The '80s is my excuse for that perm that looked horrible on me. ;) Not to mention the brightly colored chunky plastic costume jewelry, big hair, the addiction to techno, and holding my breath as I walked through a cloud of aerosol hairspray in the h.s. girl's bathroom, jeans that were so tight that you had to unzip them at the ankles in order to remove them. (I'm sure there are plenty more that I've since repressed.)

Our collective loss of sensibilities can be blamed on "it was the '80s". It's very freeing to blame such things on an entire decade. :)

holliam
09-01-2006, 09:59 AM
I'm thinking I'm a bit older than most people here... lol. I am pretty sure I was in college by the time they were popular.

Holli

CiderLogan
09-01-2006, 10:04 AM
I was a HUGE fan. Had the posters all over my walls, bought all the teen magazines, attended numerous concerts and bought all that overpriced stuff, ... now I wish I had all that $$ back!

Jenny
Julia, 8/03
Clara, 5/06

MelissaTC
09-01-2006, 10:30 AM
I remember first hearing about them in 8th grade and while I thought Jonathan was cute, I wasn't into the music. My sister was a HUGE fan and even has Jordan's autograph. I went to 3 NKOTB concerts. One concert, we were directly behind the stage. Jordan kissed my sister and Jonathan shook my hand. We were next to Marky Mark at the Giants stadium concert. I swear he was skinny and totally scrawny. A year later, "Good Vibrations" was on the radio and my sister was all over Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. I was into Pearl Jam. Good times.

crayonblue
09-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Not really. I was into rock. I was in love with Jon Bon Jovi and loved all those long-haired bands.

But, I did have a guy friend who could sing and I was always trying to get him to sing New Kids songs to me during break (8th grade)!

purpleeyes
09-01-2006, 02:04 PM
I'll admit it, I loved 'em. I was in junior high, after all. As soon as I hit high school, my pop days were behind me and I fell hard for Axl Rose. Hah!

Oh, youth. ;)

Beth

rockchick15
09-01-2006, 02:17 PM
All I can say is I was in LOVE with Donnie Wahlberg. And, I have to admit, I was 18 when they came out with Please Don't Go Girl. I was a hard rockin BonJovi and Def Leppard freak but I absolutely LOVED NKOTB. Hard to imagine you could like BonJovi or Def Leppard and still like NKOTB, but I guess I was a well rounded individual with diverse taste in music!! Even at 18, I loved all kinds of music. If Step by Step comes on my XM Radio I know all the words and I admit one of my ringtones is Hangin Tough. And, I still have the NKOTB sleeping bag my DD just had to have. Yes, she LOVED them because mommy did. She was about 3 when they started to fade, I think I was 22. When Jordan and Joey cam eout with their solo CD's around '97 or '98 I bought both. It just wasn't the same.

newnana
09-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Yeah, Mark is a producer or director or something of Entourage on HBO. They both act. Donnie was amazing in Band of Brothers and is going to be in some new tv show.

bostonsmama
09-01-2006, 02:43 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOVE Donnie Wahlberg. He was phenomenal in BofBrothers, as well as his short cameo in Sixth Sense, love, love, loved him in Boomtown, a season-long TV series in 2003. He was also in Annapolis.

I think the TV pilot he's doing is Runaway?

Not sure....but I think I've seen the preview.

Larissa
"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us--they help us learn to endure." Rom 5:3

Praying for my little bean to keep growing, edd may 2nd
Thank GOD! Our #s are doubling! Keep it up, baby!

HallsofVA
09-01-2006, 03:08 PM
I wasn't a fan, but have to relay a funny story involving NKOTB's role in a job interview. In 1990, when I was going to Atlanta for a job interview with my current employer, I pulled into the hotel and the place was an utter zoo! After finally getting my car parked, I had to fight my way into the lobby and to the front desk because the lobby was backed with excited teenagers. So I asked what was going on, and was informed that NKOTB were staying there and had a concert that evening. The lobby was packed with folks hoping to get a glimpse or an autograph.

Well, everyone's focus was on some large limos parked in front of the hotel. I guess they were assuming that they'd be leaving via those cars. I had to laugh when I looked out the window from my room, and saw all of the performers heading out a back entrance to the waiting tour buses parked behind the hotel.

The experience got better when I checked out the next morning. The guys were checking out as well. Once again the lobby was packed. Even worse, people would stop the elevators on every floor hoping one of them would be inside. Wouldn't you know that I had the pleasure of being in the elevator one time with their head security guard? That was interesting, but got better when I ended up on the elevator with Donnie. I remember standing behind him when some girls called out for him to wave. So I smiled and waved too! Somewhere, several folks have a picture of Donnie, and there's a geeky girl in a business suit behind him waving as well!!!

Well, that's my story. It made for very interesting interview conversation, and needless to say I got the job that I interviewed for.