PDA

View Full Version : OT - How to prepare fabric for a project?

Jenn98
08-31-2006, 10:20 PM
I just bought some brocade today at JoAnn's to use to make my own Dipee & Wippe case (I got the pattern from the Crafts forum), but the brocade was in a quarter flat and is quite wrinkled. Should I iron it or should I toss it in the wash on gentle? TIA

o_mom
08-31-2006, 10:29 PM
I washed and ironed my quarters to make that case, but I just got cotton, not brocade and washed it out of habit.

tarabenet
08-31-2006, 10:31 PM
Ordinarily I wouldn't wash brocade, but for this, you may have times you want to wash the finished project, so maybe it would be a good idea. Go with cold water, though, not hot. Washing/drying really could change the texture of the fabric, but that is not always a bad thing. Sometimes it just enhances the beauty. If you know you'll never wash it anbd if you love the fabric just the way it is, then iron it, very carefully, on low heat (unless you know the fiber content and are certain it can take a hot iron). Alternatively, use a damp press cloth or steam the fabric without actually touching the iron to it -- test a tiny corner to see if it stands up to the heat.