PDA

View Full Version : What was the ONE thing you could not have done w/o at the hosp?

buddyleebaby
08-31-2006, 11:19 PM
I know there have been numerous "what to bring" threads, so I thought I would shorten this a bit.
What was the one thing you could not have done w/o when you went to deliver?
What was the one thing you really didn't need /use?

Thanks.

I realize not everyone delivered at a hospital (or delivered at all).
Please modify the question to your specific situation.

ShanaMama
08-31-2006, 11:27 PM
Can I say more than one?
1. Food. I don't know the policies of your hospital, but most will not allow a laboring woman to eat. (The fear is in case she needs an emergency C-section with anesthesia there is some risk of having food in the stomach.) I delivered with a midwife who was able to bypass that rule, & the nurses were very cooperative. I ate a good meal during labor, right before they turned up the pitocin. I really think that helped me have strength for pushing, etc.
I'd recommend talking to your OB/midwife to find out what the rules are. If you know you won't be able to eat during labor, try to eat a good, filling, high carb meal before you go in to the hosp.
2. My bath. I spent a good part of labor in a hot tub. I cannot overstate how fabulous that was.

sarahsthreads
08-31-2006, 11:45 PM
Enormous comfy slippers. I had no idea how much fluid I would retain after being hooked up to all those drip bags during labor and the resulting unplanned c-section. I actually weighed more the day I came home from the hospital with 7 pounds of baby out of me than I did when I left. (And wasn't that depressing!) And there's no way I would have wanted to walk on those slippery hospital floors in just socks! Luckily, my mom had bought a new pair of slippers for me and she'd bought them two sizes too big. I guess she knew something I didn't!

Um, I'm afraid to admit to the thing I didn't use... I had this wild notion that I'd be able to knit during early labor to take my mind off of the contractions. Heh. Heh, heh. I dragged my tote bag *full* of knitting - I swear there were six different projects in there, including an incredibly complicated 7 color fair-isle baby sweater - that also had a couple of magazines and a novel in it to the hospital with me. I dragged it back home in the exact same state. Knit? Right. Read? No way. Not sure what I was thinking there. I blame it on the hormones.

Actual normal-person thing to bring to the hospital that I didn't use so much? The boppy. Piles of pillows were much easier to position DD with in those first few weeks.

Sarah :)

MarisaSF
09-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Wish I had brought: My Brest Friend pillow. I wound up borrowing one from the LCs, but I liked my non-inflatable one better.

Glad I brought:
1. Video camera. So glad my friend picked up my video camera and recorded the labor and birth. It is very powerful to watch.

3. I was really glad I brought The Nursing Mother's Companion. I'd even bring it the second time, because my memory of nursing a newborn is pretty dim.

What I didn't need: all the beer I thought I was going to want asap after going without for 40 weeks. My friend brought it to the hospital and I think I left it there.

MNmomtobe
09-01-2006, 12:04 AM
My own pillows from home. We lugged so much stuff to the hospital but accidently left the pillows in the car. I was induced starting in the evening. I thought I might be okay without the pillows but it wasn't long before I sent DH to the car to get them. Anything that makes you more comfortable during labor is priceless.

lilycat88
09-01-2006, 12:27 AM
lip balm, my pillow and my own post partum pads

Didn't use the nice nightgown I took.

robinsonbn
09-01-2006, 04:02 AM
Ok I haven't gone into labor yet but I just wanted to say this post helped. I have been planning on what to take to the hospital for weeks making list after list then cutting it down or adding. There are many checklists ect. So it helped to hear what you guys have to say. I never even thought of bringing the boppy or slippers or the pads! I figured I would pack like I do for a trip...but the hospital room isnt big enough for that :). Ok just wanted to say good idea for a post it helped this FTM :)

P.S. would it be crazy to bring all my pg books with me and notes..I keep thinking I will forget all the research and practice, would I be a total nerd if I brought my little library of the books for reference Just in case....

MayB
09-01-2006, 06:03 AM
I second that. My pillow from home was great for labor and also during the hospital stay. A number of nurses remarked how smart it was to bring.

Most useless: sugar free hard candy. Primarily because my husband ate it all. Of course he ate so much, that he had awful digestive issues right before my emergency c-section. It wasn't funny at the time, but it's become one of our favorite family stories.

Jo..
09-01-2006, 06:18 AM
Sorry Alicia, I have more than one too! I have a top 10, but I'll just give you the top four: Don't leave home without them!

#1 If I had to pick JUST ONE, I'd say DH. He snuck tons of food into the room for me ;)

#2 Doula. Worth every penny. Just having someone who has btdt and who WILL NOT leave your side or waiver in her support of you is amazing.

#3 FOOD. Gave me the stregth to get through almost 24 hours of Pitocin labor without that dreaded epidural

#4 Pillows + body pillow from home. You're going to want to be comfy.

jk3
09-01-2006, 06:27 AM
Lollipops

Jenn
DS 6/03

pb&j
09-01-2006, 06:57 AM
I didn't bring but wish I'd brought the Boppy. Using bed pillows was a major PITA.

I brought my iPod and portable speakers - and we left them in the car the whole time. We figured DH would run out to the car and get them at some point during my labor, but my labor was so quick and action-packed he never got a chance. And while I was busy going from 4cm to 8 cm in an hour, I must say I didn't give a crap. ;)

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34550.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

tarynsmum
09-01-2006, 07:17 AM
I brought my own slep pillow (like bed pillow) as well as one of those super squishy micro-bead pillows (i think I bought mine at BB&B, but they're like everywhere). It was great to squish in the small of my back during labor, or under my elbow when I was first learning to nurse, and as some extra support the whole time. It was definitely my favorite thing. Oh, and by the way. When you come home and it's stinky (mine sure was from all the sweat I was producing) just spray it with Febreze Anti-Microbial and it will be fine (the company said after DH *accidentally* destroyed mine in the washing machine. They don't like to be put in the washing machine.

oliviasmomma
09-01-2006, 07:27 AM
A digital camera! Meijer decided to "edit" the pics we took with the disposable camera we had to buy because we forgot ours. Instead of DD, we have these pics of the OR (c-section) on the perimeter and big red blobs in the center.

I was so mad I could have screamed right there in the store--even though at first I was afraid to look. Apparently the pics violated some sort of decency code and the negatives were edited.

Still makes me a little mad.

nfowife
09-01-2006, 07:43 AM
digital camera, boppy, nursing book for reference, flip flops for the shower, hair dryer

Momof3Labs
09-01-2006, 08:15 AM
yeah, it would be crazy. when will you be referring to them?

Momof3Labs
09-01-2006, 08:18 AM
my own bed pillows

big, loose slippers (nothing that you have to bend over and put on)

MBF was great the first time around, the second time the nursing pillows just sat in a corner, unused

laptop - our hospital had wireless internet, and I was able to pass some time during my week in the hospital.

if we do this again, i'll be bringing my own postpartum pads. the hospital ones are too darn narrow!!

SummerBaby
09-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Hormones still made me terribly hot after DD was born, and the older hospital I was in had lousy a/c. Although while pg, I considered anything over 65 to be lousy a/c. :)

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

Zana
09-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Pretty much what PPs have mentioned. DS came 2 weeks early and I didnt have a bag ready so I just grabbed a few pillows (the hospital actually reccomended that one), flip flops, my maternity sleep bra (didnt feel upto underwired ones) and heavy duty pads...amazingly enough I didnt miss anything else (I had planned to pack my bag with books, tennis balls et al.!!).

dhano923
09-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Both times I brought my own pillow. I am picky about pillows and wanted my own to be comfy. Also socks to wear while I was in bed because my feet freeze during labor and delivery.

Things I brought the first time and didn't use were a CD player (thinking I would listen to music during labor - I had read it somewhere LOL), and birth announcement envelopes to address.

The second time, I packed just the basics: clothes for me and baby to go home in, toothbrush and paste, hair brush and lip balm, flipflops, the baby book (for footprints), the digitial and video cameras, and a couple magazines.

TMI:
I didn't bring my own food (well, DH had a couple granola bars for himself in the bag). The whole keeping your stomach empty in case of C-section is important. I had stayed one night in the hospital for observation a couple weeks before DD was born . There was a woman there who went through labor and attempted vaginal delivery, and something happened and the baby's heart rate plummeted. They rushed her to OR and she kept throwing up because she had eaten right before her delivery. Apparently she started choking on her vomit during surgery and they had a difficult time doing the delivery, etc. My nurse told me about it because I had asked how important the no food thing was. I didn't want to risk it.

jgriffin
09-01-2006, 09:56 AM
We brought *way* too much stuff to the hospital, and didn't use most of it. I was expecting a long, drawn out labor, and instead was only there for a few hours.
What we did need:
-food for DH (we had Snicker bars)
-sweater for DH (didn't have this, and DH said he froze in the L&D room)
-pillow (only had this for the car and pre L&D room, then it was taken away and lost :( But great for holding on to.)
-slippers for me and DH (cheap red ones from Ikea)
-light bath robe for me (for walking around without exposing all to the world)
-digital camera and video camera

What we had but didn't need:
-birth ball (used it a bit at home, left it in the car and didn't need it)
-mp3 player and speakers (ha!)
-orange scented spray (in case hospital smelled funny...like I cared!)
-books/magazines/knitting (um, I had no attention span)

eta: hmmm, that was much more than one thing. I'd say food for DH...he needed his strength to be with me, especially after only a few hours of sleep.

newnana
09-01-2006, 10:08 AM
I agree with pp's about most of the stuff, so I'll do the one that never occurred to me until someone here mentioned it and I would have forgotten:

the baby book with the page marked for the foot and hand prints. Make sure whomever will be with you has it out and knows that when they do the ones for the hospital certificate do the book as well.

I would have left this at home if I hadn't heard it before!

kath68
09-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Yup -- and make sure to bring a colored pillow case, so it is easy to distinguish yours from the hospital's.

I brought a CD player -- never used it. Food/snacks -- never eaten. My own pads and underwear (underwear you don't mind throwing away) would have been good -- the stuff provided by the hospital was awful. I never bothered with a nice nightgown, though. I brought books to read -- never cracked a one of them.

I borrowed the hospital's My Breast Friend pillow while I was there -- it was really useful to have.

I remember thinking what a PITA it was to have brought so much stuff with me that I never used. I was there for only two nights, and raring to get the heck out of there. I packed as if I were staying a week! We only lived 15 minutes from the hospital, so it wasn't like someone couldn't bring me something from home if I needed it.

ShanaMama
09-01-2006, 10:40 AM
I want to respond to this since I did bring it up. It was a little OT in my post, so I didn't want to get too detailed there.
For anyone that's interested in this, I'd recommend talking it over with your doctor before you're in labor, so you know exactly what to expect- will you be allowed to eat or not.
The scenario described by the other poster is the textbook reason why they often don't let women eat during labor, but it actually incorporates about 5 levels of 'what-ifs'. IF you need an emergency CS for some reason (not too uncommon); IF they must give you general anesthesia (less common); IF you have food in your stomach; IF you vomit --> if all those what-ifs happen, it could be dangerous, maybe life threatening.
As opposed to a low risk normal labor, where you don't anticipate needing an emergeny CS, not eating definitely doesn't help you have more energy for labor. (I said that a little backwards, hope it's clear.)

Now for frame of reference, we had an experience that eliminated a few layers of 'what-if'. DH needed an emergency colonoscopy, which always requires general anesthesia. Before any Colo they always want to clear out your system, for obvious reasons, but also b/c of the anesthesia/vomiting issue. Well, being that it was unplanned, DH had been eating all day. The anesthesiologist felt that was ok & decided to go ahead with the colo anyway, and everything turned out fine. I bring this up to show that even when you are definitely being put under general, it's not a guaranteed crisis to have food in your stomach, it's just a risk with potentially devastating results.
Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional at all, I am only talking from my own experience & education. I brought up this whole issue because, while it's important for doctors to be vigilant in protecting their patients from risk, I feel that it's also important for patients to understand the reasoning behind it, and make an educated choice whether the policy is an overcautios one or a reasonable one. (Regardless, you usually do not have the power to change the policy...)
Hope this long-winded & OT post helped someone!

wyovol
09-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Yep, I gotta say my pillow from home was the best thing. I forgot to bring it with me when we first went to the hospital but my DH remembered it and brought it back after he went home to take care of the dog.

The most useless things I brought were books and my knitting. They never even got pulled out of the bag. I will definitely be packing much lighter next time around.

Diana

brownlesa
09-01-2006, 11:47 AM
My mom!!! She rubbed my feet while I was in labor. Sooo nice!! :))

Leslie
DD 9/13/05

jhrabosk
09-01-2006, 12:35 PM
So many good responses already!

DEFINITELY agree on the pillow from home...my hospital ran out of pillows and I could barely get one, forget about multiple.

Along those lines, had DH bring the Boppy the next morning.

Also definitely agree with the pp who said to bring a doula! Mine was an amazing and helpful presence for me, DH, and our families in the waiting room.

Didn't need food during labor, but they let me eat immediately afterward. Plus, I was glad to have snacks during my hospital stay post-partum. Just trail mix, fruit snacks, etc. to fill in the gaps from the yucky hospital food. :)

Never wore my own nightgowns. Never used my iPod or speakers.

table4three
09-01-2006, 12:48 PM
FWIW, I ended up with an emergency c-section under general anesthesia and stayed in the hospital a week, so this list might not be "typical". These were my necessities...

My addidas flip flops to wear afterward

Frosted mini wheats afterward. Lots of fiber. Enough said.

My own pillow

The alarm clock function of my cell phone (to get up every 3 hrs to pump for DS - he was in the NICU)

My own pads and underwear (for me, Hanes Her Way briefs were perfect post-partum)

My Bravado nusring bras

Didn't use:
CD player
Magazines and books

Good thread!

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

jbowman
09-01-2006, 01:04 PM
The only thing I couldn't have done without (in all seriousness): my DH.

buddyleebaby
09-01-2006, 01:49 PM
well, in that case, could you send him my way in say, 3-4 weeks?
; )

buddyleebaby
09-01-2006, 01:54 PM
I told my doctor if I have to go under general for an emergency c-section, his biggest concern will not be me aspirating but him trying to keep my dh (who wants to intubate me himself) at bay. ; )

In all seriousness, I understand hypothetically why they do it, but I was on nothing but liquids for five days before delivering dd, and I still threw up twice during labor.
I plan on snacking (lightly), if labor goes long.

megs4413
09-01-2006, 01:57 PM
no one has mentioned this yet:

stuff for baby
1. brightly colored swaddling blankets so she was easily identifiable to her visitors in the nursery (which one is yours, the one with the bright green blanket....)
2. good wipes for DD...they just use washcloths and water at the hospital which is OK for some, but not the weak stomached like me (YUCK)
3. TWO take home outfits (cause well...stuff happens to the first one sometimes...)
4. baby book (which i actually forgot so my MIL had to run out while i was in labor and buy one...)

stuff for me
1. Dh brought the laptop which was great since the hospital had wireless internet and it also served as my stereo for my soundtrack for labor..i actually really liked having the music playing
2. warm comfy socks for labor and flip flops for post partum showers
3. my own underwear (but i did use the hospital pads until we went home)

purpleeyes
09-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Me, too!! Absolutely recommend one-especially those little hand held ones. My DH used it throughout labor and it was such a relief.

Beth

sdoyle
09-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Great Thread!!

I brought 2 bags of stuff I didn't need. (I really thought I would be doing Sudoku puzzles and listening to Enya!!)

Ended up needing a c-section after 16 hrs of labor, stayed 3 days and honestly only used:

1) Slippers for cold, nasty hospital floors
2) Chapstick
3) Hair rubberbands for pulling sweaty hair out of face
4) My own pillow (the hospital ones were plastic!)
5) Clothes for baby and I to leave in
6) Digital camera

The rest could have stayed safely at home out of the way!!

brittone2
09-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Some of the items I'm most glad I brought along (I can't stop at one LOL).

for the car, I had a vinyl shower curtain. I also had one under my bed at the end. Both very helpful, as my water broke in bed (didn't really burst until I stood up). Before we left for the hospital, I put on a pad as if that was going to help w/ the fluid from my water...haha. W/ each contraction in the car, more water was pushing out, so my upholstery would have been very wet w/ anmniotic fluid had we not had one in the car as well.

in labor, lots of fluids. My hospital/midwives were fine w/ eating/drinking in labor and I switched hospitals mid pgcy as the one closer to me did not "allow" eating or drinking.

I used my CD player a ton in labor to listen to my hypnobirthing CDs. This was before Ipods became so popular ;)

I picked up an old robe at kohl's at the end of my pg'cy for like $12 and didn't care if it got ruined. I wore it in labor while walking the halls, while recovering, etc. and it survived relatively unscathed.

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD. FOOD!!! My water broke at 8am, and DS was born at 2:20 that afternoon. I was ridiculously famished. I was going to eat in labor, and was "allowed" to, but by the time I was hungry, the nausea aspect of things wasn't far behind, so I didn't eat. My nurse was supposed to bring me a bagel for a snack after we had DS, and never showed up with it. THe hospital forgot to bring my dinner. It didn't matter, as DH ran out to get dinner for us anyway and it was better than hospital food, but it would have been nice if we knew they didn't want to feed us. Regardless, I was NEVER so hungry in my entire life as I was in the early weeks of BFing. Maybe I'm a freak, but I was starving, non stop. I ate tons of granola bars, fruit, and other snacks in the hospital. DH used it as well.

Brought the boppy and also the Womanly Art of BFing from LLL. It was helpful to have a resource at my fingertips. Lasinoh, nursing bra, etc.

Digital camera and video camera and regular camera. I also used the digital camera to take photos of DS set up in various positions to nurse (football hold, etc.) so I could recreate it on my own (I had the LC helping, etc). It didn't look that hard, but when I tried to get him in those positions, sometimes it was tricky. THe pictures helped a bit. So there's a weird extra use for your camera ;)

Nightlight was helpful. Not all hospitals like people to plug their own stuff in but ours didn't mind. It helped for getting DS latched on in the middle of the night, etc. I needed more light than what was in the room.

Flip flops, toiletry items from home, etc. for shower were great. I brought makeup and a blowdrier which helped me feel more human when I had visitors.

definitely my own undies (bought some big black comfy briefs, they don't show staining, and I could use them for a few weeks post partum) and my own pads. I did use some of the hospital's pads, but preferred my own (I don't think my hospital's had wings???).

My own pillow

My own DH. I couldn't imagine staying at the hospital without him!! He was soooo helpful. THe poor guy's little pull out bed was broken so he, DS and I ended up cosleeping a good part of the time in a little bed LOL. We got the last "private" room that allowed DH to room in with us. I would have absolutely been asking for very early discharge otherwise!!

BaileyBea
09-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Okay I am an anal retentive list person. I admit it! Here's my list of what I took to the hospital. I packed too much the first time and this time I managed to get all this stuff in one medium sized wheeled suit case.:

The Hospital Notebook: (This is a simple paper pocket folder with the following information inside and simple rule “put everything in there that you or your Husband will need for the birth etc)
1) 3 copies of the birth plan
2) List of phone numbers and emails to send announcement to (you can also save a Draft email announcement on your Outlook ready to go)
3) A pen and small notebook or writing paper for writing notes or questions
4) A list of important numbers to OB/GYN, Doula, Pediatrician, and Lactation Consultants
5) Feeding and Diaper Log for first week (make a couple of copies to keep track for the first couple of weeks. A good thing to do just in case there is a problem. It will also help you track trends and develop an idea about the babies most desired schedule)
6) Chart of baby birthing positions or suggestions for how to correct a birthing position from Spinning Babies.com
7) Baby foot prints paper either for frame or baby book
8) Baylor Medial Center infant birth defect test
9) List of Baby Names (good to have incase)

For Labor:
1) Pillow
2) Labor Socks – Special Socks just for labor (note mine were from Target and had Doggies on them. They were commented on by all the nurses and Dr.)
2) Camera (don’t forget film or power supply)
3) Cell Phone and charger
4) Calling Card (optional)
5) CD Player and Music (don’t forget power supply)
6) Massage Lotion and optional Aromatherapy
7) Lip Balm
8) Snacks sandwiches, crackers, soup, candy, etc). Don’t forget to pack something to eat for Husband
9) Hair band and or clip
10) Bottle water / Gatorade
11) Money for vending machine or soda machine
12) Birth Ball (bring your own…. You don’t want to share one with every other woman’s cha-cha. I actually used my birthball and DH sat on it too when he was massaging my back)

Postpartum:
1) Pajamas (good ones for nursing that you wouldn’t mind being seen in. I had a set from Japanese Weekend that are so wonderful. I also got some nighttime nursing bras that worked great under my PJ's)
2) Bath Robe
3) Toiletries& Hair supplies
4) Slippers (don't be like me and not buy them ahead of time ;-) )
5) Lanolin for breastfeeding
6) Nursing Pillow (My brestfriend)
7) Makeup
8) Nursing bra and nursing pads
9) Pack roomy going home outfit and comfortable shoes that will accommodate swollen feet if necessary. Outfit you wore when you were 5-7 months pregnant will probably work out fine)
10) Gift for any nurses you like or Doula (I brought candles and soaps and gave them to the nurses I liked before their shift ended. Some were especially nice to be afterward and stocked me up on freebies)
11) Fun sign for the door announcing your new baby. (DH always draws up a funny sign w/Doodles. We get lots of fun complements on these signs).

Baby:
1) Take Home Outfit
2) Hat
3) Receiving Blanket
4) Blanket for car
5) Installed Car-seat
6) Ask Nurses for 2 of those soft bristle hair brushes since you may lose one and they are awesome to have around
Note to self: Ask for extras of soothie pacifiers, pads, tucks, etc... stock up if you can for when you get home.

ColorBlue
09-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Definitely my own pillow. That would be the one thing. Everything else you can do without. (beside the obvious carseat for baby).

Tracy

saschalicks
09-01-2006, 05:39 PM
I had an emergency C with DS#1 and planned CS with DS#2. I know that I brought a lot of stuff I didn't need and not enough of what I did need the first time but learned my lesson quickly :)

OK what I needed (I can't do just one)
1. for both I brought my own pillow
2. for both I brought a lightweight robe to cover the privates when walking and I loved it
3. for both I brought comfy slippers
4. clothes for baby - I didn't do this with DS#1 and sent my DH home for stuff. With DS#2 I still didn't pack enough, but at least DH knew what to bring when I told him too. Consider getting some premie stuff b/c our 7lb 9oz boy fit much better in premie then 0-3.
5. for both I brought my own (not so new ;) ) underwear
6. with both I was so glad for hair rubberbands b/c my hair was up the whole time I was there.

With #1 I had a great list for DH to call xyz, once DS was born. But it took him over 2 hours to make all of the phone calls. With DS#2 I made the list immediate family & close friends only, and then did a list with e-mail addresses of everyone else. I told everyone they'd get an e-mail from DH b/c he'd be unable to call everyone. He went home and e-mailed at about midnight, when DS#2 was born 6 PMish. He said the e-mailing was SO much easier then the calling. It's something to consider. Make sure the e-mail gives info on when a good time to call you in the hospital or not at all so people don't bother you unnecessarily.

What I didn't need the first time:
1. birthing ball
2. music
3. books
4. entertainment
5. socks

HTH & Good Luck

candybomiller
09-01-2006, 06:28 PM
my epidural.

janeybwild
09-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Chocolate for post-delivery and verbena body wash for my first post-partum shower...both were heavenly!

aa2mama
09-01-2006, 07:29 PM
What I did use: Thick non-skid socks (and an extra pair - my water broke & drenched my 1st pair). A dark-colored bathrobe. My own pillow from home in a colored pillowcase. Lip balm, toothpaste & brush, hairbrush, ponytail bands.

What I could have done without: Boppy, CD player, pretty much all of my labor props, nightgown.

Lovingliv
09-01-2006, 08:57 PM
My DH.

what i could have done without? the twizzlers, skittles and gumdrops I was sure I was going to want during labor. not even close.

Getting close Alicia!!! Yay!!!

sidmand
09-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Yes! Yes! Yes! I was going to say this, but thought it would be kind of silly. I delivered right when it went from cold days to hot days and the hospital AC was just kicking in. It was brutal. DH actually drove home (about an hour) to get a fan because I was so darn hot.

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

Fairy
09-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Just FYI on those generals, if they put you under, you'll be intubated, so I can't imagine that it's possible to aspirate in that case, cuz even if by some kooky reason, your body decided to throw up while you were under, your airway would be fully blocked, so to speak, by the tube feeding you air. So, no worries, there, dude.

Fairy
09-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Honnestly, seems a little ridiculous, but I wanted my woobie. I have a pillow I've had since I was seven, and on our way out the door, I just grabbed it, and it was with me the whole time, except in the OR. I didn't hug it or anyhting, but there's a comfort thing that happens on a subconcious level sometimes, and I just knew, I wanted it with me. When my oldest friend came to visit me (we were 9 when we met), she took one look at me and said, "I cannot BELIEVE you brought this thing." Heck, I'm not even embarrassed.

Also, due to c/s and complications, I was there five days, and by day 3, I was going nuts with the hospital issue mesh undies. So, to be in my own underwear and my own brand of pads was like heaven.

maestramommy
09-02-2006, 12:41 PM
One thing I couldn't have done without: DH! Since we talked about everything way beforehand, even if we had gone to the hosptial emptyhanded, it would've been okay.

Unused: Cd's. My labor was rather short, so never got around to listening. Never even watched the TV that was in the room. And once Dora arrived, she was all the stimulus I needed :-). I did watch the TV in my room though :-D

Saartje
09-02-2006, 01:46 PM
My "must haves" are apparently on a couple of other people's "really didn't need" lists, so remember that you have to know yourself and what you like. :) I really appreciated having my CD player, so I could have music playing while I labored. And after Ishy was born, I was very grateful to have a book to read while he slept.

kdeunc
09-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Actually, the concern is that you will aspirate while they are intubating you (when they give you the muscle relaxant) or while you are being extubated. Apparently it is a bigger concern with pregnant women because of hormones and other GI factors.

MommyAllison
09-03-2006, 02:17 PM
My DH also :)
Other nice things to have:
- Music - DH made 2 mix cds of really mellow music for labor. I didn't want them at ALL during labor but they played almost constantly after we moved to our post partum room. Helped us create our own little family atmosphere, not hearing so many hospital noises, etc. They will forever be the songs I associate w/DD!
- Baby book - we did the footprints and actually wrote in ours a lot while we were there.
- Name book - we couldn't decide on a middle name and read the entire book again at the hospital - then picked a name not in the book :) but at least we had lots of options and made sure we weren't forgetting any names
- My own shower stuff, it was nice to smell familiar!

We needed more snacks and food for our post partum time! Also, our digital camera was lame and took horrible pictures :( so bring a great camera, even if you have to borrow it!

I didn't use anything from my "labor bag" (birth ball, warm heat bean bag, massage stuff, etc) because labor went so fast. But, I am still glad it was there, just in case.

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png[/img][/url]

anamika
09-03-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned but my last minute purchase which was so worth the trip was some scented massage oil. I love the smell of roses so DH massaging my back with it was sooo relaxing.
Didn't use candy - actually I couldn't have eaten anything even if I wanted too. I was so sick during the transition phase that I was really thankful not to have eaten.
Good luck with your delivery,