PDA

View Full Version : Help requested for DC skin issue

kcandz
09-01-2006, 01:17 AM
My DC has that thing where the skin on the inner part of the pinky toe has split open on the first layer, and left the area pink and exposed. I believe it is from not drying the area thoroughly enough after bathing, and the care provider has been spoken to about it. I recall having it myself as a child and it was painful. How can I promote healing? I want to put Lansinoh on the area but would it lock in moisture where it shouldn't? I attempted Google but got all kinds of seemingly unrelated and thoroughly icky links.

o_mom
09-01-2006, 06:22 AM
It could be a fungal infection - something like Lotramin might help.

katerinasmom
09-01-2006, 07:16 AM
Sounds like athlete's foot to me. I agree with the prior poster - Lotrimin should help.

ajmom
09-01-2006, 07:57 AM
That happens to me sometimes too and it is uncomfortable. I usually just put on a little neosporin and a band-aid. I don't think you need to worry about it being serious. It is from not drying the area properly.

kcandz
09-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks very much for the responses. I thought not athlete's foot because DC did not complain about itching and I read that has a rash appearance. I will try bacitracin and a teeny band-aid this weekend, and call the ped if it isn't better on Monday. I don't want to go to lotrimin without checking with ped office.

Wife_and_mommy
09-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Monday's Labor Day so the doc probably won't be open.

FYI, my ped had me put anti-fungal on DD at 3 months when he thought her eczema might be ringworm so I don't think it'd be detrimental if you want to try it without talking with/seeing the doc first.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png

o_mom
09-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Athlete's foot can show up as cracked skin, peeling skin or a rash. It may only itch/hurt for the first day or so. How old is your DC? If he says it hurts it may just be that he can't differentiate (sp?) pain vs. itch. Anyway, our ped OKs Lotramin for diaper rash from birth, so if it gets worse you may want to start it to give you DC some relief.

dr mom
09-01-2006, 04:09 PM
it's a mouthful, but it gives you a medical name for the condition. :)

You can certainly try topical lotrimin - safe in children - but probably overkill for what you are describing. Young kids rarely get athlete's foot. What you want to do is separate the toes a little bit, dry that area thoroughly, and you could put a little piece of cotton between the toes. Ok to use Lansinoh or something like polysporin. It will almost certainly heal on its own even if you do nothing, just be sure to dry it thoroughly in the future.

kcandz
09-02-2006, 01:37 AM
Ooooh thanks. I will be having a field day on Google with that term, even though I can't pronounce it. I ended up putting Lansinoh on tonight, skipped the bandaid, and will keep it dry over the long weekend. I don't want to aggravate it by staring at it all the time, and DC isn't limping or extra grumpy, I just want it to heal faster as it has been a few days already.