PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here own a treadmill?

neeter
09-01-2006, 09:34 AM
I've been thinking about purchasing one for walking. While on vacation, we spent alot of time walking, and then I had to stay at a hotel for work. At the hotel, I would walk everyday because their gym was right downstairs. I had been doing about 2-3 miles a day. I hope to keep it up, and I think the only realistic way is to purchase a treadmill.

I do have a gym membership, but I always get lazy when its time to drive to the gym! I've been back for two days and haven't been yet!

I'm interested in know if any of you have one, find it convenient, and really use it. I'm afraid of getting sick of it and the money going down the drain. The good thing is that I've peaked DS' interest, since he's training for a marathon and would really get some good use of it!

Thanks!!

deenass
09-01-2006, 12:09 PM
we have a treadmill, got it 6 years ago at Nordic Trac. Yes, we use it. I work out in my pjs, before I get ready. I'd never work out if I had to go to the gym so this is a good compromise. It's in the basement so DS and I go down in the morning and he plays with the train table/legos, etc while I walk.

sbirmantaz
09-01-2006, 01:28 PM
I have one too. I got a Bodyguard model last year and it is great. It has the best warranty: labor and parts for 3yrs and then parts for another 10 or so... Can't remember for sure, but very good. If I had to go to the gym I wouldn't work out half as much as I do now. PLUS, on the treadmill is the only time I get to watch Alias. I get the dvds from the library. I never got to watch it when it was on tv, so this is the perfect solution. I count it as "me" time :-)

Sharon
dd #1 09/24/02
dd #2 11/19/03

BillK
09-01-2006, 03:42 PM
My wife has run the Chicago, Boston, Cleveland and Pittsburgh marathons and has trained on her Trimline treadmill for all 4 - she runs on it daily and has had it for probably 5-6 years now and it just keeps on ticking. They don't seem to have the same model as hers anymore but so far it's been very dependable and she uses the hell out of it.

http://www.bigfitness.com/trimlinestore.html

neeter
09-04-2006, 09:41 PM
thanks for the reassurance and the suggestions on good brands to look for! we're going to start shopping soon. thanks again!

DrSally
09-05-2006, 06:45 AM
We have had a Proform treadmill from Sears for 8 years. Consumer Reports said that treadmills are the best investment for exercise equipment b/c it's a good workout and the piece of equipment people tend to keep using(others being more fads). They rated proform very good. We usually don't buy the service contract, but CR suggested it and it broke after 2 years I think. We got a brand new replacement, no charge, and have been using that with warranty. So we figure we won't actually have to buy another treadmill if we keep buying the warranty.

Oh, and I've never been a big exerciser, but my husband uses it all the time. It's so easy to just put on your exercise clothes and go downstairs for 30-40 min in the morning. He would really never have enough time to workout if he had to go to the gym. Plus, no one cares how you look. We bought a tv mounting kit and mounted my old college tv in the corner for him to watch, so it works out well.

neeter
09-05-2006, 07:07 AM
thanks - that's what i'm thinking too -- who cares how i look? i can just turn on the tv and walk! esp with winter coming, i don't need to get all bundled up just to go to the gym.

thanks for the recs on the proform, too. my friend told me to look on craigslist, but i do want the protection from a warranty. glad it has worked out for you!

thanks for sharing.

nd93
09-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Another thumbs up for the treadmill. Just one word of warning - if you do use yours with your kids around, be super vigilant that they get no where near the treadmill. I have seen so many stories (Oprah, local news) about children getting parts of their fingers "sanded" off because they snuck up behind mom or dad on the treadmill.

neeter
09-05-2006, 08:00 AM
omg i didn't think of that. and i was thinking it would be great to be able to walk while my son played downstairs. though, lately all he wants to do downstairs is play on the computer, so maybe that would be a good thing - he'd stay in one place! thanks for the warning!

DrSally
09-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Yes, and put the safety key in it when not in use.