PDA

View Full Version : need advice about remodeling

megs4413
09-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Ok...we bought this house a few months ago and it's a fixer upper. We have purchased a new heating/ac system that's higher efficiency but haven't had it installed yet (this weekend). Unfortunately, the outdated A/C that was here, started leaking (i guess from the condensation drain?) into the ceiling of DD's room. I was in the hospital when this started a couple weeks ago and DH didn't see any reason to do anything about it...well long story short the ceiling fell...and we have a major insurance claim and a lot of repairs now. The carpet in DD's room along with the walls, and ceiling will all be replaced. The water damage extended into the hallway and we will be getting new ceiling, drywall, paint, trim, and carpet there as well. Because the carpet is continuous between the hallway, living room, and master bedroom they will be replacing all of that carpet. (so in our 4br house every single room that has carpet is getting new carpet except for the two bedrooms which belong to the kids (the room that was destroyed is being changed into the office). They will also have to paint a LOT. here's my big concern...i'm preggo and DD is almost 17 mos. i don't think it's good for us to be in here when the painting is done and also when the carpet is being pulled up and replaced. What to do? Would you stay here? I will be second tri...but i know they won't be using VOC free paint (i don't think the insurance co will spring for it though i coudl ask...). Should we go to a hotel? Should we try to circulate the air enough to keep the fumes down? I'm just not sure what to do. Has anyone done major renovations like this when they were prego and had a little one? Am i being silly?

table4three
09-01-2006, 03:41 PM
I wasn't pregnant but DS was 13 months old when we had the whole house painted and recarpeted. We stayed at our in-laws for the day/night of the work and the day/night after. DS who is asthmatic had no problems when we came home.

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

bubbaray
09-01-2006, 03:58 PM
I would get a note from your dr saying you can't be in a house with "regular" paint. Then, take that to the insurance co and get them to put you up in a hotel. They'll freak. Then, give them the option of the VOC free paint. I bet they agree.

If they don't, you could ask the painting co to give you an estimate on the price difference and just pay that yourself.

Personally, I would stay out of the house while the work is being done. Especially when the old carpets are being ripped up and when the new ones are going down. Carpeting has a lot of fumes.

FWIW, DH painted DD's room when I was in the 2nd tri. It was lowVOC paint and I just stayed out of the house that day (maybe it was over 2 days, but I did come home at night) and he kept the windows open (it was about December-ish). I would have more concerns now b/c DD has asthma, so we've been told not to expose her to paint fumes, carpeting fumes, drywall, etc..

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/fYrCm7.png