PDA

View Full Version : How many former regulars are out there but hardly post anymore?

Judegirl
09-26-2006, 06:08 PM
I'm so far out of the loop that it has me wondering if there are others like me. I'm defining a "regular" as anyone who: sometime longer than six months ago, found herself/himself posting on any BBB board at least several times a week, for at least several months.

Thanks,
Jude

american_mama
09-26-2006, 07:26 PM
How about an option for "I still consider myself an old timer, but am not enjoying it much lately." And I don't mean just the last few days. I mean the discussions of the last few weeks and months have been less thoughtful and interesting. And the dramas of the last year have cast a long shadow.

overcome
09-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Jude! I just posted in the other thread...
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=361328&mesg_id=361328&page=

wondering where you have been....are you mom to rory monster?? Or am I just confused??

momathome
09-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Guess I qualify as a regular who has been here for 5 years but only post occasionally now. 3 kiddos keep me busy. :)

Judegirl
09-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Hi, Karen! Good to see you!

I stopped posting at first because I was too busy, but then couldn't really find a reason to come back. I managed to steer clear of most of the drama, but the topics just don't really hold any interest for me anymore.

Hope you're well!

Jude

Judegirl
09-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Yes, that's me (Mommy to Rory-monster) and thank you for saying that. :)

Jude

TraciG
09-26-2006, 08:57 PM
hay I'm a regular, I still post but not as much as I used to. I still check out the lounge & sometimes Bitching Forum, but I'm not as into it like I used to be .

amp
09-26-2006, 09:03 PM
I used to be very much a regular, as indicated by my obscene amount of posts, but I don't feel much like I belong or fit in here anymore, and really, the whole place is starting to smack of a police state and I don't enjoy that one bit. It didn't used to be like that.

atlcombs
09-26-2006, 09:05 PM
I just had to vote troll. . . it is too funny! :-) I have actually been a member for quite awhile, but just recently started posting because it was a nice break to talk to other adults!
~gina

jesseandgrace
09-26-2006, 09:19 PM
It is so nice to see some of your pics again, I am the same way, I rarely post anymore (although I stupidly slipped into the drama as of late - yikes). I'm glad to see some of the familiar faces from my day, LOL.

jesseandgrace
09-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Momathome - its nice to see you again!

Jenn98
09-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Can I vote for "I'm a regular who plans to keep posting as usual despite all the recent drama and despite a lot of people saying that the BBB used to be so great but now sucks because the currently "sucky" BBB is better than no BBB at all?" ;) Seriously though, this drama is gonna happen in a community this big, and I for one am not going to let it deny me the info, fun and general laziness at work that it provides! I love the BBB and I am not going anywhere - although I will be taking my computer security more carefully afer all this.

lilycat88
09-26-2006, 10:33 PM
I'll give you an *amen sista*.

lisams
09-26-2006, 10:37 PM
That's Me!!! There were issues in the past, it wasn't all roses!! It's a normal part of any message board, and if you can look beyond the junk, the BBB has been and still is a wonderful place to come to for support.

I don't post a lot, but I've been around for about I think 4 years and I don't plan on going anywhere.

ribbit1019
09-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Well you are missed mama, glad you popped in. :)

Christy
My Waterbabies
http://b3.lilypie.com/uVw3m4/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/tbvhm4/.png
"I 'scape. I 'scape an go ou da window. Go ouside." MD
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBBCo-Ops/jo

MonicaH
09-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Sing it!!

ribbit1019
09-26-2006, 11:06 PM
http://goldismoney.info/forums/images/smilies/dito.gif

Christy
My Waterbabies
http://b3.lilypie.com/uVw3m4/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/tbvhm4/.png
"I 'scape. I 'scape an go ou da window. Go ouside." MD
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBBCo-Ops/jo

chiqanita
09-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Nice to 'see' you again Jude.
I lurked a while before becoming a 'regular'. My little ones keep me busier these days so sometimes all I have time for is to read or search out something I need help with.
Regarding the drama, well when I came out of 'lurkdom' Neve was leaving. I had no idea what was going on there but felt that she was someone everyone really appreciated having around. I plan to continue visiting and posting as I see fit.
For the most part I think we have a good supportive community and I hope this all clears up soon.

megs4413
09-26-2006, 11:24 PM
how do you qualify as a regular? i don't know how i would answer that...i have a lot of posts, but haven't been around all that long compared to some of the "old timers".

I have also heard people talk about "well knowns" on the board...i have no idea who that would be....

i wish i knew what was more interesting before! i think i would be considered more of a new "regular lounge poster" and i feel like it must be people like me who are boring the heck out of all of you old timers!

karolyp
09-27-2006, 07:38 AM
>Can I vote for "I'm a regular who plans to keep posting as
>usual despite all the recent drama and despite a lot of people
>saying that the BBB used to be so great but now sucks because
>the currently "sucky" BBB is better than no BBB at all?" ;)

Thank you so very much for stating this - as this is Exactly how I feel!!!!

While I miss some of the old timers, we've got some awesome newbies too.

LoveMyBabyBeans
09-27-2006, 07:56 AM
I used to post here. I'm not a fan of the way the mods handle some issues though, so I've pretty much stayed away.

oliviasmomma
09-27-2006, 07:58 AM
He he, I was thinking the same thing--that my posts must be some of the yawners since I'm still a newbie. What was different/better before--does anyone care to share? I always find the boards interesting and fun to read--but then again, if I am one of the boring ones, it wouldn't take much, huh?:P

holliam
09-27-2006, 08:02 AM
No idea how to vote. I've been here a while and have always posted regularly but not obsessively. Have pretty much avoided all the drama I guess.

I don't really understand why people would read and never post if they don't think the board is up to snuff anymore.

Every board goes through cycles. I think it's kind of silly to think that this board was only good in the past. Lots of new members have added significant value to the board sans drama.

Holli

holliam
09-27-2006, 08:02 AM
No idea how to vote. I've been here a while and have always posted regularly but not obsessively. Have pretty much avoided all the drama I guess.

I don't really understand why people would read and never post if they don't think the board is up to snuff anymore.

Every board goes through cycles. I think it's kind of silly to think that this board was only good in the past. Lots of new members have added significant value to the board sans drama.

Holli

kelly ann
09-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi Kerry-

I remember all of your clothing posts in Reality Layette about Hanna clothes. Glad to see you are still poking your head in every so often :)

kelly ann
09-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi Kerry-

I remember all of your clothing posts in Reality Layette about Hanna clothes. Glad to see you are still poking your head in every so often :)

tarahsolazy
09-27-2006, 11:18 AM
I don't think things are necessary "better" in the past. I think sometimes you bond well with people with similar age kids, similar opinions, etc, and you gravitate toward those people on boards like this. It seems like members come in crops, sprout up, hang out for awhile, and then sometimes move on. Seems pretty normal to me. Most of the people I "remember" from three years ago when I joined are gone, or are now infrequent posters. I don't post as often as I used to, either, but I still hang around, and probably will for quite awhile.

tarahsolazy
09-27-2006, 11:18 AM
I don't think things are necessary "better" in the past. I think sometimes you bond well with people with similar age kids, similar opinions, etc, and you gravitate toward those people on boards like this. It seems like members come in crops, sprout up, hang out for awhile, and then sometimes move on. Seems pretty normal to me. Most of the people I "remember" from three years ago when I joined are gone, or are now infrequent posters. I don't post as often as I used to, either, but I still hang around, and probably will for quite awhile.

new_mommy25
09-27-2006, 12:19 PM
I have major insomnia so I still read the boards almost every day. I love the Around the House forum and that is where I post most. There was a period where I rarely posted but I am starting to post a little more now that my DD has been born. When I have a question I usually find the answer in a search.

new_mommy25
09-27-2006, 12:19 PM
I have major insomnia so I still read the boards almost every day. I love the Around the House forum and that is where I post most. There was a period where I rarely posted but I am starting to post a little more now that my DD has been born. When I have a question I usually find the answer in a search.

jasabo
09-27-2006, 04:46 PM
>He he, I was thinking the same thing--that my posts must be
>some of the yawners since I'm still a newbie. What was
>different/better before--does anyone care to share? I always
>find the boards interesting and fun to read--but then again,
>if I am one of the boring ones, it wouldn't take much, huh?:P
>

I don't think anything has changed. For as long as I've been coming here, the topics of discussion have been the same, there has been drama, fights, cliques (LOTS of cliques!!) etc. Offhand, I can think of two regular members who publicly announced they were leaving due to disagreements and downright nastiness (two seperate incidents)...and I don't visit the board that often anymore, so it's likely happened more often (as evidenced by this thread) and I just don't know about it. Also, I remember occasional threads in the past about "the good old days" - how much the board has changed, how people miss old regulars, how it used to be better, etc....it seems to happen every once in a while when the "regulars" are realizing they don't have much in common with new members, so they start moving on to new things.

Also, I think that, often "former regulars" were friends with some posters who they agreed with and shared similar parenting and life styles, so they always posted to each other. However, some of those posters moved on and now the other posters "aren't interested" by current discussions...I think it's kind of condescending to word it the way a few people have in this thread, as though "former regulars" were somehow better or more interesting then current members (which is how those comments came across to *me* - not saying that's exactly how they meant it) but if that's the way they feel, so be it.

Don't take it personally. The important thing is that YOU find the board interesting...the former regulars were great at the time they were regulars, but if they've chosen to become "former regulars" (me included, since I don't post as often as I used to) then it's not really important what they think :) Out with the old (if THEY chose to leave, of course) and in with the new, as it were ;)

That said, I learned so much from people who'd "been there, done that," and posted about it, and I'm thankful to those regulars, former and current (I developed a wicked, and expensive, diaper bag addiction a few years ago thanks to the old diaper bag gurus :) ). That's what this board is here for - to learn from each other. As long as that continues, this board will always be valuable, whether members have been here for 4 months or 4 years.

jasabo
09-27-2006, 04:46 PM
>He he, I was thinking the same thing--that my posts must be
>some of the yawners since I'm still a newbie. What was
>different/better before--does anyone care to share? I always
>find the boards interesting and fun to read--but then again,
>if I am one of the boring ones, it wouldn't take much, huh?:P
>

I don't think anything has changed. For as long as I've been coming here, the topics of discussion have been the same, there has been drama, fights, cliques (LOTS of cliques!!) etc. Offhand, I can think of two regular members who publicly announced they were leaving due to disagreements and downright nastiness (two seperate incidents)...and I don't visit the board that often anymore, so it's likely happened more often (as evidenced by this thread) and I just don't know about it. Also, I remember occasional threads in the past about "the good old days" - how much the board has changed, how people miss old regulars, how it used to be better, etc....it seems to happen every once in a while when the "regulars" are realizing they don't have much in common with new members, so they start moving on to new things.

Also, I think that, often "former regulars" were friends with some posters who they agreed with and shared similar parenting and life styles, so they always posted to each other. However, some of those posters moved on and now the other posters "aren't interested" by current discussions...I think it's kind of condescending to word it the way a few people have in this thread, as though "former regulars" were somehow better or more interesting then current members (which is how those comments came across to *me* - not saying that's exactly how they meant it) but if that's the way they feel, so be it.

Don't take it personally. The important thing is that YOU find the board interesting...the former regulars were great at the time they were regulars, but if they've chosen to become "former regulars" (me included, since I don't post as often as I used to) then it's not really important what they think :) Out with the old (if THEY chose to leave, of course) and in with the new, as it were ;)

That said, I learned so much from people who'd "been there, done that," and posted about it, and I'm thankful to those regulars, former and current (I developed a wicked, and expensive, diaper bag addiction a few years ago thanks to the old diaper bag gurus :) ). That's what this board is here for - to learn from each other. As long as that continues, this board will always be valuable, whether members have been here for 4 months or 4 years.

Marcy_O
09-27-2006, 05:21 PM
OMG Jude, we're so in the same boat. I remember you from when I posted all the time. That is, when I was in a buying frenzy for the soon-to-be-in-the-world baby. Now that he's here, and almost 16 months old, I barely have time to take a shower let alone get online and be productive! But, I've told my husband that I HAVE to get back to doing some of the things I did before baby. I go crazy chasing him all over the place all day and then all the wifey stuff at night.

So not alone :)

Marcy

knaidel
09-27-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm also in the first category... from when my son was born until about this time last year, I used to read and post on the board regularly.

This might sound silly, but when my son had his first birthday, no one wished him a happy birthday. Now, it might be kind of dumb to feel "hurt" in an online community, but I kind of felt "out of the loop." I guess I just didn't feel like I had made the same type of connections that many of you have with each other. A little bit after that, I stopped being so regular around here. Now, I come over to the lounge to read once every week or ten days, and rarely post.

LD92599
09-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Me too! I just skip the drama and keep on posting! Doesn't faze me.

Laura
Will is three...and doesn't sleep :-(

[img]http://b4.lilypie.com/vEOmm4.png

Use a Mac? Interested in learning more about them? Join us!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB-MacUsers/

oliviasmomma
09-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Thank you for your post--you interpreted my feelings exactly! :)

jamsmu
09-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Holy Moly, Ang! I didn't know you had a little baby girl!! Congrats! I'm so sorry I missed that!

jamsmu
09-27-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm around again a little more than I had been, but not as much as in the past. I've been posting a little more often than I did this spring and summer when I was overworked. I try to stay away from the dramas... and just remain a happy member. I guess one of the reasons I stopped posting as often was when I was flamed for replying to a post in what was meant to be a very positive, complimentary response (and the OP took it as such) but others who were reading through people's notes to the OP took major offense. The fact that my "innocent" post started a controversy rubbed me the wrong way.

And I miss a lot of my friends who are also not here as often, so there's not as much to celebrate and discuss, because we "knew" each other well and having been away for a little while, I'm not as knowledgeable about everyone else.

Anyway, I'm still here. Still really enjoy most of BBB.

edited to clarify

Judegirl
09-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Tarah!!!! Wow...I haven't seen you in ages! How's your gorgeous son? (Yes, of course I remember his name, but since it's not in your siggie and I'm not around much I'll leave it there. :))

Jude

Judegirl
09-27-2006, 10:55 PM
I don't remember knowing that either...at least, I don't remember your naming her Ruby, which is a great name...geez, it was so ling ago! The day after Rory's birthday, too. ;) Belated congratulations (though of course if I said that then and NOW I don't remember, then I feel even worse!)

Jude

Marcy_O
09-29-2006, 12:48 PM
<<I try to stay away from the dramas... and just remain a happy member. >>

Julie,

I'm with you there. I have enough drama in my life, I don't need it on the web too. I tried to stay away from heated topics, but it seemed if you weren't a part of those, people didn't seem to look at your posts. But maybe they did, I don't know. I just don't pay a whole lot of attention to be honest. I care about what happens in the world and in the world of us mommies, but I have a hard time getting too involved over the inet. I'm so sorry someone flamed you. THat totally reeks. Why do people have to be that way? I don't know. Let's make a happy mommy club, whaddya say girls?!

elephantmeg
09-29-2006, 02:09 PM
That's sad, happy very, very belated or very early birthday! I wonder sometimes about the b-day posts... they seem like a very easy way to hurt feelings even though they're not meant to at all...

jamsmu
09-29-2006, 03:09 PM
<< I tried to stay away from heated
>topics, but it seemed if you weren't a part of those, people
>didn't seem to look at your posts. >>

I noticed that, too. Oh well... I don't worry too much anymore. I usually get an answer to what I need. I don't need to be Miss Popular on this board. My self esteem is just fine. :-)

stefani
09-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Hi Jude,

I miss you!

I usually don't quite understand / get what is going on with the dramas.

I don't quite know what I will do without this online community. I am a WOHM, so my time is limited, there is no regular playgroups etc.