PDA

View Full Version : Fashionable Jeans For Petites

Twins2000
09-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Hello ladies,

I am in desperate need of a fashion makeover. I've been reading the appropriate books, watching "What Not to Wear," and going through my closet weeding out all the things I don't wear anymore, and/or shouldn't wear anymore. When it comes to jeans, I now only have one decent (not great) pair (I will be donating about 8 pairs of jeans). As a SAHM, most of my fall/winter outfits consist of jeans paired with sweaters/shirts! Help!

Which jeans do you find fit you well? I especially would love to hear from you other petite moms. I'm 4'11'', and am now wearing mostly a size 4P-6P. I dont't really have any hips, but, after a twin, then singleton pregnancies, my belly does give me the "muffin effect" if the jeans are too tight at the waist (I could stand to lose another 5-10 pounds, but I love my sweets and haven't been able to get back into the swing of working out yet). I guess I should look into Spanx Power Panties, but that's another thing.

So, okay ladies. Please, tell me which jeans work well for you? Which jeans do you thing would work well for me?

Thanks for your help/input in advance!

Leslie

ETA Does Lucky Brand carry jeans for petites?

Twins2000
09-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Hello ladies,

I am in desperate need of a fashion makeover. I've been reading the appropriate books, watching "What Not to Wear," and going through my closet weeding out all the things I don't wear anymore, and/or shouldn't wear anymore. When it comes to jeans, I now only have one decent (not great) pair (I will be donating about 8 pairs of jeans). As a SAHM, most of my fall/winter outfits consist of jeans paired with sweaters/shirts! Help!

Which jeans do you find fit you well? I especially would love to hear from you other petite moms. I'm 4'11'', and am now wearing mostly a size 4P-6P. I dont't really have any hips, but, after a twin, then singleton pregnancies, my belly does give me the "muffin effect" if the jeans are too tight at the waist (I could stand to lose another 5-10 pounds, but I love my sweets and haven't been able to get back into the swing of working out yet). I guess I should look into Spanx Power Panties, but that's another thing.

So, okay ladies. Please, tell me which jeans work well for you? Which jeans do you thing would work well for me?

Thanks for your help/input in advance!

Leslie

ETA Does Lucky Brand carry jeans for petites?

kboyle
09-27-2006, 12:29 PM
i just got american eagle boyfriend fit jeans today. they are low rise & wide legged & stretch so they are super comfy. they have reg/long & short lengths.

i'm a sz 2 & about 5'.

kboyle
09-27-2006, 12:29 PM
i just got american eagle boyfriend fit jeans today. they are low rise & wide legged & stretch so they are super comfy. they have reg/long & short lengths.

i'm a sz 2 & about 5'.

Pennylane
09-27-2006, 12:38 PM
I am 5'3 so I have a hard time finding jeans also. Petites are too short, regular too long. I also have a small waist and more hips and thighs.

I really like Eddie Bauer jeans in the relaxed fit. J.Jill also fit really well and the waist is not tight at all. They have lots of different fits and also carry a good selection of petites. Calvin Klein jeans also fit me well, although the waist is tighter than the other two.

My favorite "splurge" jeans were my Luckys. I don't know if they are called petite jeans there but they do sell lots of different lengths. They fit great and make my legs look longer!

Good Luck!

Ann

Pennylane
I am 5'3 so I have a hard time finding jeans also. Petites are too short, regular too long. I also have a small waist and more hips and thighs.

I really like Eddie Bauer jeans in the relaxed fit. J.Jill also fit really well and the waist is not tight at all. They have lots of different fits and also carry a good selection of petites. Calvin Klein jeans also fit me well, although the waist is tighter than the other two.

My favorite "splurge" jeans were my Luckys. I don't know if they are called petite jeans there but they do sell lots of different lengths. They fit great and make my legs look longer!

Good Luck!

Ann

tny915
I'm 5'1" and live in jeans from the Gap. I always only worry about fit around waist and hips and never think about length, no matter what jeans/pants/slacks I buy because it's generally hard for me to find pants with a short inseam. I get my jeans altered if I need to, and I have the tailor keep the hem and sew it back on. I used to love Gap's Long and Lean jean, but it would only work on me with heeled boots, and I obviously don't wear heels much anymore running after a child.

I have a good number of jeans from Old Navy, especially from the preggo and post-partum days when I knew I'd only be in a certain size temporarily. The price is right, and although most of their style is super-extreme-low-rise, they do have some that wear higher on the hips.

tny915
I'm 5'1" and live in jeans from the Gap. I always only worry about fit around waist and hips and never think about length, no matter what jeans/pants/slacks I buy because it's generally hard for me to find pants with a short inseam. I get my jeans altered if I need to, and I have the tailor keep the hem and sew it back on. I used to love Gap's Long and Lean jean, but it would only work on me with heeled boots, and I obviously don't wear heels much anymore running after a child.

I have a good number of jeans from Old Navy, especially from the preggo and post-partum days when I knew I'd only be in a certain size temporarily. The price is right, and although most of their style is super-extreme-low-rise, they do have some that wear higher on the hips.

lmintzer
09-27-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm 5'2" and wear a size 6 in pants. My waist isn't so much of an issue; I carry most of my weight in my thighs and butt. I have trouble with jeans being a.) too long, and b.) too tight in the thighs.

What works for me is Gap's original boot cut in ankle length (although this year, it seems they are even cutting those a bit long in the darker color). The waist isn't too loose or too tight, the thighs are just right), and the slight flare at the bottom makes legs look longer and thinner.

lmintzer
09-27-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm 5'2" and wear a size 6 in pants. My waist isn't so much of an issue; I carry most of my weight in my thighs and butt. I have trouble with jeans being a.) too long, and b.) too tight in the thighs.

What works for me is Gap's original boot cut in ankle length (although this year, it seems they are even cutting those a bit long in the darker color). The waist isn't too loose or too tight, the thighs are just right), and the slight flare at the bottom makes legs look longer and thinner.

ChefGirl
09-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Hi, I'm 5'2 (according to my driver's license :-) and size 2 or 0 depending on the brand. I like the Gap flare in 2 ankle. I have yet to try their petite jeans yet. Alhtough, I have to say my all time favorite jean, at this point, is my 7 jeans! I have a pair boot cut 7 jeans in size 25. I LOVE them!!!! I wear them every Friday (casual day at work)!!! Even DH says they are cool! They are just below the waist and very stretchy! I bought mine at Nordstrom at regular price so they throw in the hemming for FREE.

I tried on a lot of Lucky jeans when they had their after holiday sales. But, I was unable to find any. But, my friend who is about 5'1" loves them. She also loves her 7 as well.

Hope this helps.

ChefGirl
09-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Hi, I'm 5'2 (according to my driver's license :-) and size 2 or 0 depending on the brand. I like the Gap flare in 2 ankle. I have yet to try their petite jeans yet. Alhtough, I have to say my all time favorite jean, at this point, is my 7 jeans! I have a pair boot cut 7 jeans in size 25. I LOVE them!!!! I wear them every Friday (casual day at work)!!! Even DH says they are cool! They are just below the waist and very stretchy! I bought mine at Nordstrom at regular price so they throw in the hemming for FREE.

I tried on a lot of Lucky jeans when they had their after holiday sales. But, I was unable to find any. But, my friend who is about 5'1" loves them. She also loves her 7 as well.

Hope this helps.

punkrockmama
09-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Also, if you happen to find a pair of jeans that fit you perfectly in every place but the length, have them tailored. Really, people forget about that but it's a great option.

punkrockmama
09-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Also, if you happen to find a pair of jeans that fit you perfectly in every place but the length, have them tailored. Really, people forget about that but it's a great option.

June Mommy
09-27-2006, 01:36 PM
I think we are about the same size. I'm 5'0" minus about a quarter inch :). I'm a 4P or 6P depending on if things are cut big or small, and would love to lose 10 pounds if I could stop eating. Anyway, in general I like the Gap stretch bootcut jeans in ankle length. Long and Lean are too long for me. I also have some trouser jeans from the Banana Republic outlet that I really like (hemmed.) However, WNTW and books like The Pocket Stylist *always* recommend to buy your jeans/pants to fit your hips/thighs (regardless of the length) and then have them hemmed. They even recommend altering the waist if necessary, to get pants that fit correctly in the hips and thighs. You may want to check places like TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Nordstrom Rack to see if there are any designer jeans that you like and could have hemmed. I found a pair of AG jeans for $10 on the clearance rack at TJ Maxx.

Oh, and I LOVE my Spanx Power Panties. Target sells a version called Assets, too.

June Mommy
09-27-2006, 01:36 PM
I think we are about the same size. I'm 5'0" minus about a quarter inch :). I'm a 4P or 6P depending on if things are cut big or small, and would love to lose 10 pounds if I could stop eating. Anyway, in general I like the Gap stretch bootcut jeans in ankle length. Long and Lean are too long for me. I also have some trouser jeans from the Banana Republic outlet that I really like (hemmed.) However, WNTW and books like The Pocket Stylist *always* recommend to buy your jeans/pants to fit your hips/thighs (regardless of the length) and then have them hemmed. They even recommend altering the waist if necessary, to get pants that fit correctly in the hips and thighs. You may want to check places like TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Nordstrom Rack to see if there are any designer jeans that you like and could have hemmed. I found a pair of AG jeans for $10 on the clearance rack at TJ Maxx.

Oh, and I LOVE my Spanx Power Panties. Target sells a version called Assets, too.

wencit
09-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Yet another vote for Gap's bootcut jeans in ankle length. I'm always tripping over jeans from other stores (even in their "short" versions), but Gap seems to fit me the best.

wencit
09-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Yet another vote for Gap's bootcut jeans in ankle length. I'm always tripping over jeans from other stores (even in their "short" versions), but Gap seems to fit me the best.

jadamom
09-27-2006, 04:37 PM
I also like Gap stretch bootcut ankle length, as well as Ralph Lauren stretch jeans with the 26" inseam.

jadamom
09-27-2006, 04:37 PM
I also like Gap stretch bootcut ankle length, as well as Ralph Lauren stretch jeans with the 26" inseam.

Twins2000
09-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Thank you for all of your input/suggestions! I went jean shopping today and tried on many, many jeans at Banana Republic, National Jean Company, Lord and Taylor, JJill, Gap and Macys. I now realize that jeans are supposed to fit a bit tighter than I've been wearing. My favorite jeans were Citizens, but I couldn't justify spending over $145 for a pair of jeans right now. So, I ended up buying a petite pair of stretch DKNYs in a dark wash. They fit well, and are the perfect length, no hemming required!

Maybe I'll get those Citizens as a gift to myself for the holidays!

Thanks again!

Leslie

jarrettsmom9705
09-30-2006, 11:50 PM
Ditto for the 7 jeans. A splurge, yes, but D@#N they look good!! Mine are size 26 and the waistline is just below my bellybutton ( low enough to be comfortable, but high enough to eliminate the "muffin top" effect). You do have to get them hemmed if you are petite, but they make your butt look fabulous!
I'm 5'2".
Tracy

Twins2000
10-01-2006, 09:57 AM
I liked a few pairs of 7 jeans that I tried on too! But after trying on sooo many pairs of 7s, Citizens, Page, J Brand, etc., I really liked the way the Citizens (Kelly style) and Page fit me the best. Maybe for Christmas!!!

Leslie

lmintzer
10-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Be honest. How small do you really have to be for 7 jeans to fit? Could someone who wears a size 6 (but is curvy) wear them, or is it pointless to spend that kind of money?

jarrettsmom9705
10-01-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't see why anyone couldn't wear 7 jeans. They really are flattering, even for me (who has yet to lose those last 5 or so pounds of baby weight). Just go and try on a pair to see how you like them. If you are a size 6, you will probably wear a 28 or 29.