PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerators - again

alexsmommy
09-27-2006, 08:40 PM
I've gone through most of the old posts and visited gardenweb (that home site). I need IRL feedback. In our new home, the homeowner updated the kitchen to sell. She did everything the opposite of what we did when we updated our kitchen to sell. I prefer dark cabinets, she put in almost blond colored untreated maple etc. Since it's new (though by no means top of the line) it makes no sense to replace anything. One of the places she skimped was the appliances. She didn't replace the range or the refrigerator and got the cheapest dishwasher known to man. Our range just died and I cannot stand the refrigerator. It's an older, smaller refrigerator model and I can barely get more than a gallon of milk and Alex's juice containers in there. Luckily the contractor told her that new friges are larger and against what she initially wanted, insisted on making the frige space "large." Knowing this I assumed it would fit a 36" frige. I measured today - no go. I am so disappointed. We were going to get a SBS, but now I am worried about going with the 33" SBS. Now, I have never had a SBS and it looks awfully small inside to me. I know I don't want a french door type b/c the freezer looks really small/hard to organize to me. Does anyone here have a 33" SBS? How do you like it. Can you get 2 weeks worth of staples in it? We will hold onto the old frige and put it in the basement and we have a stand alone freezer down there, so in theory we have the storage, but I don't want to have to run down there all the time. Any recs? TIA
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

alexsmommy
09-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Bump - help!
Alaina
Alex Feb '03

jenmcadams
09-28-2006, 07:56 AM
If you have a stand alone freezer and anothe fridge to boot, I'd really consider a French Door with Freezer on the bottom. The freezers aren't great, but normally fine for the kid staples. I have a large (I guess it's 36") SBS now and I really miss our old french door freezer (our old was a counter depth one, so the freezer was even smaller, so we definitely needed the extra freezer, but we were living in a small ranch house and the freezer was in the garage and easy to access). Just my two cents...sorry can't help you with the smaller SBS

table4three
09-28-2006, 10:36 AM
I agree. I love my french door/bottom freezer (though it is a large one) and we have a chest freezer in the basement for extra storage. I'm really loving having all of the fridge contents at eye level and what seems to be a lot more space in the refrigerator. We haven't had a problem with the freezer - we keep a surprisingly large amount of stuff in there and the extra frozen stuff is in the basement. It has been working well for us.

Good luck shopping!
http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png