PDA

View Full Version : OT: Parents having marital problems. Seeking advice. (warning: long)

fattytuna
09-28-2006, 02:47 AM
This is the only forum I visit everyday for the past year or so because I have found the members of this community mature, supportive, considerate, warm-hearted and non-judgemental. It's not easy to spill my personal life to a group of people I have never met, but I feel that you ladies are truly willing to lend a helping hand when you can so maybe someone out there can give me some constructive advices in how to deal with my situation.

This past weekend my mom was looking through some of my dad's DVD collections for perhaps some new movies she hasn't seen before. She ended up finding two DVD's that contain some photos of my dad and some unknown woman when my dad was in China late last year and then again this May. They are non-obscene/non-explicit photos, some with just one of them posing, some with both of them and it looks like they were on some kind of group tour together in China. I know it's subjective, but my first impression on seeing these photos is that my dad and this other woman are not merely friends. We are Chinese immigrants, and I know this is stereotype but based on my parents' background, how they were raised, etc., even though nowhere do the photos suggest if there is any deeper physical relationship, just based on how this unknown woman had her arm around my dad's elbow, how her body leaned in towards him, and how closely they are standing when they posed in front of the camera, it does not look like she is just a friend who happens to be female. He has never mentioned to either my mom or me that he went on a tour, nor has he mentioned he has made new friends while he was in China.

My parents have been married for over 30 years. I am their only child. Needless to say this comes as a shocker for both my mom and I. My parents have had fights over the years, some of which have a deep history and happened when I was young but I was sheltered from them and I had no idea while growing up. They have had more verbal fights during recent years when my dad quit his job (he had a disagreement with his boss at work) and "retired" early, but none of which has ever involved infidelity. My mom stopped working three years ago when she was diagnosed with breast cancer (and luckily has been cancer-free so far). I rarely witness the actual fights, but have heard about them from either one of them (I moved away from home after college) over phone calls. I took it partly as a transition thing as older generation retires and starts spending every minute of every day together thus getting on each other's nerves, and partly as their nature because of their cultural background, in the sense that they are just one of those old married couples that pick fights over little things every day. It never crossed my mind that any of it would lead to extra marital affairs.

I think you can imagine how angry my mom is. Now thinking back, she is remembering some perculiar behaviors of my dad's, which I don't know if it's also because now she's reading into every little thing. In any case, her initial reaction is to go ask my dad to explain himself. She even mentioned divorce. After thinking it over for a day, she waited because she needed to gather her thought before blurting things out and it will just end up in a shouting match and nothing gets resolved. First of all she needed to figure out what she wants to do and exactly what she wants to ask him, and when I talked to her two days ago she said she thought it over, it's easy to tear apart a family that took years of hard work to build. So she is going to ask my dad what he wants to do. If he still cares about our family and if he is willing to go through counseling, she will give counseling a try. On top of that there's a timing issue, DH and I are taking DD to Shanghai so see my grandmother (my mom's mom) so she can meet DD for the first time. My grandmother is turning 99 at the end of Oct, and my mom is coming with us. We will be in China from mid Oct to end of Oct. So as of now my mom had not mentioned anything to my dad. But she thinks he is sensing something because just the past few days he will go everywhere with her, he's being extra sensitive to her needs, etc.

I have a lot of questions and here are some that pops into my head for now:

1) My mom prefers that I'm on the phone with them when she confronts my dad. My parents live in LA, I live in SF Bay Area. I told her I am more than willing to be there in person or on the phone, but I'm not sure if my presence will make things better or worse for them. My mom thinks it's both, on the one hand, because my dad has a bad temper and most of the time ends up shouting during fights (especially when he's not being logical, according to my mom), which means a lot of things might remain unresolved at the end, on the other hand, my dad already thinks my mom and I are closer (which is a separte issue) so off the bat he'll think we are "ganging up on him". My thinking is that it might be better for her to confront him in the presence of a counselor or mediator instead of me. If the counselor suggests my being present from the start and we all talk together, then that's what it will be. What do you think?

2) First of all, how can I help my mom look for marriage counselors or mediators or what is even the proper term for someone who will act as a mediator when one spouse wants to confront the other under a controlled environment?

3) Should my mom talk to a counselor by herself first about this issue and seek advice on what's the best way to confront my dad, or should she confront my dad first, then see if my dad even wants reconciliation or counseling? Or should she just mention to my dad she wants to work on their marriage for now and ask my dad to go to counseling with her and then they can choose who to go to together, so my dad doesn't think my mom had this all planned out to "trap" him or something. My dad can overthink a lot of times and be paranoid.

4) Should my mom confront my dad before or after our planned trip? On the one hand, I don't think it's good for my mom's health for keeping this in the dark for another month or so; on the other hand, my worry for initiating the topic before our trip would be if things get out of hand when they started talking, then my mom has to leave for the trip, won't it be worse? My mom also doesn't know if the other woman lives in the states or in China. So she is concerned about what is going to happen during her trip.

5) My mom said she will give my dad the benefit of the doubt and ask him to explain his relationship with this woman. If it's a misunderstanding, then they can both take the time to calmly talk it out. But at this point I'm really not sure if she (or I, for that matter) will believe him if he said the woman in the photos is just a friend. She's not sure what to do next if he does say the woman in the photo is just a friend.

6) If all goes south and my dad doesn't want to reconcile, what are some of the options that they can follow? Separation? Or does it go straight to divorce?

7) Does anyone know of any GOOD websites or discussion forums that I can go to for additional reading? I know a lot of these questions are probably very basic so if you could point me somewhere that has this kind of information I'd really appreciate it.

I fully realized I am already biased against my dad in terms of infidelity. But he is still my dad. While I'm not saying this to my mom because I don't know if she can see this right now, I am also aware that for their marriage to come down to something like this, it didn't take one day, both my parents had to contribute to this, and the other woman is not the underlying cause.

My appologies if any my questions sound ignorant as this is all new to me. And since I wrote this in a hurry at a pretty late hour, I'm sorry if I used any non-PC terms as I mean no disrespect or offense to anyone. And thank you in advance for reading this.

chiqanita
09-28-2006, 03:08 AM
I was about to sign off, 3 am here, but your post caught my eye. I just want to send you a hug and tell you to take a deep breath. I'm not sure how to respond other than to say that maybe the person with your father was the 'aggressor' by holding on to him? I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here because it doesn't sound like he's done anything in the past.

I would let my parents handle their relationship because in the end they both love you. Whether they are happy or not is up to them. You should continue to be there for you mom but what can you really do IF your father is being a jerk.

If I were your mom, I would hand the DVDs in question to your dad and say oh I was looking for something to watch the other day and found these. Then I would ask who that woman was with him. If he 'fesses' up to infidelity then they can go from there. If he has a good explanation then I would have to believe him.

I'm really tired and maybe I wasn't very helpful, sorry. I hope it all works itself out sooner than later.

Good luck.

ribbit1019
09-28-2006, 03:31 AM
Katherine
I do think that your mom should see a counselor asap. Sounds like they should both be seeing one. Retiring and being around each other all the time is a really big change in their lives.

For the DVDs/other woman/confronting issue, I like the mediator idea a lot. For help finding someone I would check with insurance and see if there is someone covered. Not all psych-ologists/aitrists are equal, but it would be a good starting place. I think that talking to someone impartial would help your mom work out the details of how/when/where/with whom would be most effective to approach your dad about this.

Sorry I am not much help, but a huge hug to you and your mom.

Christy
My Waterbabies
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/Yw0w.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/0vphm4.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/iBmU.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/uy3Mm4.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

kransden
09-28-2006, 05:09 AM
When I was finishing my Masters last summer, I took a class taught by a counselor(MSW). He was in his 60s, and really had a lot of wisdom to share with us about marriage, divorce etc. I suggest your mom see a counselor close to her own age, and BEFORE she confronts your dad. After all, what does she want - staying together, divorce? If she divorces him how will it effect her life? If she stays, what are her terms and what will she do if he won't meet them? I think talking to someone will help her with that Ann Landers question "Are you better off with him or without him?"

Maybe your Dad wasn't cheating at all, maybe he met someone who he liked a lot, and was afraid your mom might freak out so he kept quite about it.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

kakohler
09-28-2006, 10:40 AM
First thing that sprang into my mind - don't let your mother drag you into her relationship with your father. This is between THEM - you should not be involved in any way other than being supportive of what BOTH your parent decide to do. Do not take sides. Do not let them push you into taking sides. Be as neutral as possible. Tell your mother that you will support her decisions, but you cannot and will not get in the middle of this. She's already tried to get you on her side, when you and she don't know the whole story. The PP's are correct in that she should seek counseling and decide with the counselor how to confront/discuss this with your father.

aliceinwonderland
09-28-2006, 10:47 AM
First of all, hugs. I have no advice except to say that marital infidelity is **shockingly** common, even in people you would most likely never expect it from. I realise that does nothing to take the hurt away.

I would not be on the phone with them when they start dealing with this, I think this is something between them as a couple that, IMHO absolutely does not involve non-minor children.

fattytuna
09-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Thank you all for reading my long post and thanks for all your replies. I think I will advise my mom to start looking for a couples therapist/marriage counselor. Even if she's not ready to bring up the issue before the trip, it doesn't hurt to start looking into counseling information as soon as possible.

I will ask my mom to check with her insurance for counselors, the only thing that concerns me is that as I was trying to do some research online, I read somewhere that if you do go to your insurance and see a therapist, it might go in your medical record that there is some kind of mental problem. I will have my mom find out though.

Meanwhile, any suggestions on how to go about looking for recommendations of marriage counselors not affilicated with your insurance company? My last resort would be check the yellow pages.

Thanks again for all your help. I know how busy you all are and I really appreciate your taking the time to read and respond.

oliviasmomma
09-28-2006, 01:56 PM
This might be a long shot, but is there a chance that if your mom found a counsleor that your dad would come too and she could bring it up there? I don't think it is the best thing for you to get involved in your parent's marriage--both for you and your parents. I def. think she should talk to a counselor first. I don't know given the timeline, if she'll have enough time to find a counselor and see them, then talk to your dad--all before the big trip.

The other thing for your mom to consider is what she considers infidelity. It is totally possible your dad forged a close (non-physical) friendship with this woman. That would still be hard for to deal with since he obviously hid it, but it is something to think about.

Finally, rather than have you present when she confronts him, does your mom have a close friend or sister around?

I am so sorry your family is going through this, I hope it all works out okay somehow. :(