PDA

View Full Version : What can I do to help my mom after major surgery?

trentsmom
09-28-2006, 02:42 PM
My mom is having a hysterectomy next week. Since neither of us know what to expect, I'm hoping someone here has some good advice. She knows that she'll need a pillow to support her stomach when she laughs or coughs. Any other tips? Is there anything I can do to make her feel more comfortable? She's already told me to make sure her face is washed and her hair looks decent. I know a while back there was a thread about washing hair in bed. Will I need to do that, or will she be up to the task in the shower? I'm guessing that the recovery will be similar to the recovery after a c-section, except without the newborn baby, of course! :)

heidiann
09-28-2006, 03:10 PM
I had a hysterectomy and honestly it was just like the previous c-section I had. It wasn't as bad as I anticipated. I made sure I washed my hair the morning I went to the hospital and I was out of bed the next day and actually felt good enough to brush my hair. I was in the hospital 4 days (I think the norm is 3-4 days), so honestly I didn't wash my hair until I came back home and by then I was able to do it in the shower. I made sure someone was around when I did get a shower b/c it wasn't the easiest thing in the world to do I kind of felt a little dizzy but i did it.
I think she will just need a little assistance after she comes home. I would be nice to maybe have a few meals prepared for her so she doesn't have to cook.
I'll keep her in my prayers!

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

Piglet
09-28-2006, 04:00 PM
My mom had a hysterectomy when I was PG with DS1 and her recovery took a fair bit longer than most women with C-sections, probably because 1) she didn't have to get up and go all the time to look after a new baby and 2) she was a bit older (50 or so) than most women with C/S so it was probably harder on her body.

She was really encouraged to walk as much as she could manage (which wasn't much) and really appreciated a nice slow walking partner (not too difficult when you are 8+ months PG). She also had a very hard time lifting anything for about 6 weeks.

I think like anyone else with limited mobility, just some help getting things, a few good books/magazines/etc. Oh, my mom also loved a pillow that I gave her for resting on (think bed rest - whatever would be comfy for someone stuck on th couch for much of the day).

MelissaTC
09-28-2006, 04:34 PM
I have not had a hysterectomy but a c-section and my Mom had a hysterectomy when she was young (think early 30's). The biggest thing for her was cleaning the house and keeping things in order. She appreciated her friends coming over to vacuum, tidy up the house and cook. She also enjoyed the company and the laughter they brought her.

I hope your Mom's surgery goes well and she feels back to her old self soon. :)

nfowife
09-28-2006, 05:42 PM
My MIL had one last year and spent a lot of time beforehand on a website called hystersisters...here is the address:
http://www.hystersisters.com/

She had a very easy recovery fortunately but still raves about this website to help prepare for the surgery!
Best of luck!

trentsmom
09-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Oh, I hadn't thought about a bed rest. Great idea.

trentsmom
09-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks for letting me know about the showers. I'm sure she'll feel better taking a shower than by me washing her hair! My dad is retired, also, and he's the chief cook anyway, so she'll have lots of good food.

Thanks for the suggestions and prayers.

trentsmom
09-28-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the advice and the good wishes.

trentsmom
09-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Cool! I bet my mom doesn't know about the site. I'll forward a link for her. Thanks!

DrSally
09-29-2006, 09:14 AM
My mom had one when we were kids and I babysat for a mom who had one as well. I second this post--help with cleaning. You can't push a vacuum around afterward. Sounds like meals are covered with your dad. Maybe a subscription to blockbuster.com?