PDA

View Full Version : When did the ped want to see your baby in office after birth?

punkrockmama
09-29-2006, 11:46 AM
The ped I had picked out when Peyton was born wanted to see him in the office 24 hours after we came home from the hospital. He said it was because I was bf'ing and wanted to make sure he wasn't losing weight. I didn't know what I was doing at the time (and still kinda don't I guess) so I was all okay whatever you say.

I have since switched peds as that one was not bf friendly and plain not friendly about anything. I sort of like the one Peyton has now but I am *still* looking for my princess/prince in a lab coat that I will fall in love with and want to take care of my kids until they're 65.

So for the interviews one of the many, many questions I am asking is how long after discharge do you want to see us. I'm getting all kind of responses from the same 24h to two weeks (!)

What was your experience? Thanks in advance. :)

SquamLake
09-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Our daughter was born via c section, so I was in the hospital for 4 days after giving birth. However, our ped did want to see us within a week of coming home. For what it is worth, we really like our ped.

heidiann
09-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Sheila,
With Jillian we were only in the hospital for 24 hours so her ped seen her within 24 hours of us coming home. We came home Friday afternoon and seen the ped Sat. morning.

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

mommyoftwo
09-29-2006, 11:56 AM
With Amelia it was 4 days after she was born and with Linnea it was a week. I think 3-7 days is the norm but don't quote me on that.

ETA: 3-7 days after delivery I mean.

o_mom
09-29-2006, 12:07 PM
About 6-7 days old (so 4-5 days after discharge).

Here is what the AAP has to say on the subject:

"When discharged <48 hours after delivery, all breastfeeding mothers and their newborns should be seen by a pediatrician or other knowledgeable health care practitioner when the newborn is 2 to 4 days of age. In addition to determination of infant weight and general health assessment, breastfeeding should be observed and evaluated for evidence of successful breastfeeding behavior. The infant should be assessed for jaundice, adequate hydration, and age-appropriate elimination patterns (at least six urinations per day and three to four stools per day) by 5 to 7 days of age. All newborns should be seen by 1 month of age."

from here: http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics%3b100/6/1035

Moneypenny
09-29-2006, 12:12 PM
3-7 days after release from hospital.

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

JASC
09-29-2006, 12:14 PM
We were at the dr w/in 48 hours of coming home.

juliasmom05
09-29-2006, 12:26 PM
For ours, it's normally 2 days after discharge. I was discharged on Thursday and DD had breathing problems when she was born, so we went the next day because of the weekend. It nothing to do because we were BF.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

babyready
09-29-2006, 12:29 PM
It was about 16 hours later. But it was to check on my blood pressure more than on dd. Also, she had jaundice so we went back every day for the next four or five days. The Dr. was an hour away at that time and it was quite an event to get us all there on time!

I have no idea what is "normal" though.

elliput
09-29-2006, 12:30 PM
Our ped makes rounds at the hospital so he saw DD within 24 hours of birth. The next day, one of his partners stopped by the room to check if we had any questions or concerns. We didn't make an office visit until 3 weeks.

bubbaray
09-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Ditto.

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

kristenk
09-29-2006, 12:37 PM
DD was born via c-section, and we were in the hospital for several days. We went home when she was 3 days old and went in to see the ped when she was 2 weeks old. The ped came by every day to check on DD and us when we were in the hospital.

SnuggleBuggles
09-29-2006, 12:40 PM
We left the hospital 20 hours after delivery by choice. We went to the ped when ds was 48 hours (the ped also visited him on the 1st day at the hospital). We went in again near the end of the 1st week to have the PKU test done (as a bf'ing mom I decided to delay it till my milk was in so the test results would be more accurate). That same day they also checked bilirubin levels.

Remember that almost all bf babies lose 7-10% of weight thhe first few weeks and most have regained it by week 3. Any ped who doesn't know that isn't one I would go with. :) Good to see you know that too. :)

I loved our solo practice Dr.s. Don't rule them out since you can get good 1-1 care which is really nice long term.

Beth

Saartje
09-29-2006, 12:44 PM
The first ped we had for Ishy didn't want to see him until he was 2 weeks old. I knew perfectly well that he was thriving, so I didn't mind that even though it's not recommended; and when I took him in at two weeks, she decided we could skip the one-month visit because he was doing so well. (Though she made it clear I could bring him in if I had any questions or concerns, or just didn't feel altogether comfortable waiting until his 2 month visit.)

We switched pediatricians pretty early on because she wasn't up-to-date on her AAP recommendations and wanted to browbeat me on points where we didn't agree (she felt I should be giving Ishy bottles of water at two months, start food before he lost his thrust reflex, etc.), and I don't recommend waiting until the baby is two weeks old for the first post-hospital visit; but it did work out well for us.

table4three
09-29-2006, 12:56 PM
DS was in the hospital for 2 weeks. We got discharged on a monday, she wanted to see him friday, but i made an appointment for wednesday because i was neurotic.

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

buttergirl12
09-29-2006, 12:57 PM
DS was born Saturday 11:59pm. Our ped came to see him on Sunday while we were still in the hospital. She came again Tuesday right before we were discharged and gave us an appointment for Thursday because he was a little jaundiced. Otherwise it would have been when he was 2 weeks old.

Manja
WAHM to J 10/2003

http://b3.lilypie.com/wP8Zm5/.png[/img][/url]

saschalicks
09-29-2006, 01:06 PM
This is what happened w/me exactly and with both boys. I love our ped. I should add I did not BF though.

megs4413
09-29-2006, 01:13 PM
i think she said "this week" and we ended up going in when DD was 5 days old. HTH!

lilycat88
09-29-2006, 01:21 PM
DD born on Tuesday and spent some time in the NICU so the NICU folks took care of her until the next morning when her ped saw her. Ped saw her every day in the hospital until we were discharged on Saturday afternoon. She was jaundiced. We were back in the office on Monday because we couldn't wake her to eat well enough. Back in on Wednesday and again on Friday and was readmitted for UV therapy on Friday (she would have been 11 days old). The house peds staff saw her in the hospital over the weekend and we were back in the office the following Monday.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

Alice523
09-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Our ped saw James the morning after his birth and then the next day, too, before we were discharged. The first visit was scheduled for 2 weeks of age, but we went in earlier for a weight check.

elephantmeg
09-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Lets see, I had a c-section late Monday (almost Tuesday) and left the hospital thursday AM and went back to see the pedi on Monday. He said that usually it is 3 days from d/c but that we should be fine to wait 4 since 3 days was a Sun...

newnana
09-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Maybe it's because he knew we were neurotic first time parents, but the day after we got home from the hospital. We were in the hospital for 3 days and he came every day.

Thank goodness, because she didn't sleep at all that first night and he showed us how to swaddle her in the office. It was magic. Then again 1 week later because I was BFing.

We LOVE our ped.
Michelle

sdoyle
09-29-2006, 01:52 PM
I had a c-section on a Wed and baby saw the Dr in the hospital on Thurs and Sat with the first office visit Monday (6 days old). The next visit was 2 weeks later. I would definately think you would want to go in the first week. We had a million questions- but I'm paranoid!!

Stacy

ellies mom
09-29-2006, 02:17 PM
I had to bring Ellie back to the hospital (to see an LC not a ped) 24 hours after we left. Normally, it would be 48 but since I had a c-section we were there long enough for her to lose enough weight to get very close to their "need to stay" weight loss (>10% of birthweight). They let us go home anyways since my milk was coming in but they wanted to see her the next day to weigh her. We saw our ped at two weeks. So, for our Kaiser it is 12-24 hours and two weeks.

VClute
09-29-2006, 02:22 PM
DS was born in a military hospital, and they want to see all first-time mom and dad babies within 24 hours of discharge. I guess its because they worry about shaken-baby more than weight loss or gain. When I have this next baby, they'll want to see me in two weeks, regardless of feeding method, though they're WAY pro-bf.

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and a sequel! Due 3/30/07

tarahsolazy
09-29-2006, 02:40 PM
I was gonna say, the Kaiser well-baby nurse visit, right. I used to work for them at St.V in Portland, and I love their system for baby care.

tarahsolazy
09-29-2006, 02:43 PM
AAP standard of care is within 48-72 hours after discharge, as o mom quoted above. I'd worry about peds with other schedules, unless there is a nurse vist within that timeframe instead of the doc, which would also be fine. If the ped is behind enough to think 2 weeks is fine, they probably will also think solids should be started at 3-4 months, that holding babies spoils them, that nightfeeds after 2 months are bad, and a bunch of other dinosaur stuff.

brittone2
09-29-2006, 03:06 PM
DS was seen at 5 days post partum (and they looked at me cross eyed when I told them my milk was just fully coming in at that point, but his weight was just fine). He was seen again at 2 weeks post partum and then 2 months.

THis topic is fresh on my mind as we are expecting #2 pretty soon. We've since moved, and I'm going to try a different doc than the one my son sees (since our move0. I called the new office yesterday and they said within one week.

I'm hoping to maybe even push that back a smidge to 10 days possibly, assuming things are going okay. The birthing center where we plan to birth at sends out a nurse post partum to check on us,and then at 5 days post partum they do the PKU, weight check, etc. I also have an infant scale at home. I feel that with the nursing visit, the visit back to the birthing center for the PKU, etc. that I'd prefer to go a little longer than a week before coming in. I'll discuss this w/ the doc once the baby is born though.

I'll also have the typical 2 and 6 week post partum visits for me, but they'll be more than willing to go over any BFing concerns, weigh baby, refer to an LC if needed, and i'm sure give a quick look at the baby.

We'll see. I may try to push it to more like 10 days to 2 weeks if everything else looks okay and BFing is going fine.

blueeyedb
09-29-2006, 03:25 PM
We saw the doctor every day while we were in the hospital. After discharge, we saw a LC within 48 hours to make sure everything was fine on the BF front. We didn't have an actual office visit until about 1 week after discharge, but it was made very clear that we could call with any questions or concerns we had before the visit.

searchdog
09-29-2006, 03:28 PM
With DD we were discharged right at 48 hours after delivery literally! Her ped did see her both days at the hospital and said to call and make an appointment for when she was two weeks old. The Lactation Consultant had me all freaked out and said we HAD to go in 24 hours after discharge to have her weight checked, but the doctors office said no we didn't need to have her weight checked unless I was worried or my milk didn't come in like it was supposed to. Just an FYI when we went in two weeks after she was born she was back up over her birth weight so I guess her ped does know what he is talking about.

DD was jaundiced and within 12-24 hours after getting home we thought she was starting to look bad again and just called her ped and they called in a stat bili order and we went to the hospital outpatient lab to get the blood drawn and they called us a few hours later to let us know that it wasn't going up so we were fine to stay home. If it had gone up again we were going to have to have her admitted to be put back under the lights.

jadamom
09-29-2006, 04:43 PM
We had an appt 2 days after discharge for each birth. Good thing, since both kids developed jaundice, and the 2nd one had to have bloodwork done every day for 3 days in a row until the bilirubin levels came down.

southern_kali_gurl
09-29-2006, 04:48 PM
AJ was seen by his ped in the hospital the day we were discharged. We then went in for an office visit 3 days later. C was born at a different hospital and he was seen by the hospital ped the day we were discharged and we went to his regular ped a week after he was born.

-A
Mommy to two wonderful boys!
AJ 08.03
C 05.06

maestramommy
09-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Let's see. DD was born on a Saturday, and the ped. asked to see her on Thursday, so that's 5 days later.

deenass
09-29-2006, 05:09 PM
My ped wanted to see him within 24-48 hours (he was jaundice upon release from hospital so we went within 24) and if you were bf they did a follow up appt 1 week later (for weight check) and then a 2 week appt.

jillc
09-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Hi there. Two-three days after release from hospital. I'm interviewing new pediatricians as well, and so far I've been told two-three days after hospital release.

nov04
09-29-2006, 06:32 PM
We had a scheduled check in hospital 2 days after discharge, ped. wanted us 2 days after.

ellies mom
09-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Hey, we tried our external version at St. Vincents. I'm really happy with the way Kaiser does things.

HallsofVA
09-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Had we delivered DS at the hospital next to the ped we picked out, they would have seen him the day after birth. As it was, we delivered at the other hospital via c-section, so he was seen by the house peds until we were discharged. We came home on a Saturday, and had already called our ped from the hospital and they scheduled us to come in on the Monday two days after we were home from the hospital.

C99
09-29-2006, 08:19 PM
It was either 3 days after birth or 7 days after birth. She also wanted to see Rose at 2 weeks after birth, but this is largely because Rose was jaundiced.

ribbit1019
09-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Same ped, DD 1 week, DS 24 hours. We left the hospital early with DS because I was miserable and bored at the hospital the first time.

Christy
My Waterbabies
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/Yw0w.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/0vphm4.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/iBmU.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/uy3Mm4.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

Melanie
09-30-2006, 08:58 AM
hmm...I want to say the MD said he'd do a home visit at three days or so. I delivered Dd at a BC so the MW checked her out and came to visit at 2 days PPD. As it turned out in her first day Dd was vomiting amniotic fluid (not really a big deal but we didn't know since Ds was deep-suctioned and had none in his belly) we took her in to the ped's office that day (suring their special time allotted for only newborns).

With Ds he was born at the hospital and checked out there once or twice by the ped (ours was too far away...long story), but then we had to go daily for bilirubin checks at our ped, once we left.

I guess my point is, it doesn't really matter what they say or what you plan b/c when the time comes you will do what you need to do.

kboyle
09-30-2006, 09:13 AM
with charlie he was born on tuesday and seen on monday.

with max he was born on tues and went the next day since his bili levels were high. from then on he was there every other day till he got admitted mon night since his levels wouldn't drop.

we have a family doctor that we LOVE. he isn't used to having very many newborn patients, but is a father of 3 his oldest being 5 i think. he's the family dr for my in-laws, and my husbands aunt & uncle and their daughter and grandson who is 2 weeks older than max. he knows all of our family history and treated FIL when he had prostate cancer and then passed away. he's been to family funerals & weddings. WE LOVE HIM. he was also on the cover of Cleveland Magazine for the top 40 doctors in Cleveland last year! it was nice to see our doc as named in the top 40, much less being on the cover.

i would rather have a ped since they are more "kid" friendly and can answers of nervous moms and such, but i do love him and so do the kids.

punkrockmama
10-02-2006, 03:34 AM
Thank you all for the replies. It was good to read about the range and what you moms and your docs (and both) feel comfortable with. :)

Yeah, months after Peyton was born I remember reading something about how all babies will lose some small amount of weight just after birth. I didn't know that at the time and was made to feel like it was my fault and that I would have to supplement (I didn't).

buddyleebaby
10-02-2006, 10:39 AM
our ped came to the hospital to see her on the day she was born and again on the day she was discharged, instructing us to go to the office in 4-5 days.

DrSally
10-03-2006, 08:31 AM
Within 48 hours, so we went the next day. However, we were having a lot of problems with BFing, and the ped, whom we had never met, spent 5 min with us and brushed off the bfing questions when she found out we had already made an appt with our own LC. She even physically brushed off the feeding/pooping chart I had brought with. That was our main concern at that point, b/c DS wasn't getting any milk, we were on our 4th day, and he was going CRAZY! Plus, his billirubin was extremely high (after I asked her to have him tested). As you can see, I'm still upset about it. I'm glad your ped tailored his approach to the fact that you were BFing.

katiesmommy
10-03-2006, 11:57 AM
When Katie was born they told me they needed to see her within 2-5 days. Then scheduled an appointment for me at 2 days because it was the only time slot available. But I didn't see the doc himself, we saw the lactation consultant who apparently sees all the newborns around that time, she weighs them and takes all the vitals to see how they are doing, then sees how feeding is going. We then saw our doc at 1 and 2 weeks. Then went back at 2, 3, 4, 5, 5 1/2, 6, 6 1/2, 7, 7 1/2, 8, and 9 months because she was underweight and they wanted to check it every two weeks for what seemed like forever.

denna
10-03-2006, 12:36 PM
With our ped the standard is 3 days from discharge. DS was born no a Wednesday and we were released on Saturday morning so we returned on Tuesday.

He wanted to check height/weight/ head and do a blood test to make sure he was metabolizing his food correctly.

This is standard for everyone regardless of bf or formuala or the method of birth.

HTH

Denna