PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for all the well wishes

JBaxter
09-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Thank you again for all the well wish yesterday. Everything went well but was more involved that I expected. I really like my doctor he is a plastic surgeon so I am hoping the scar will be as minimal as possible but is still substancial.

What I would like everyone to do is take a look at ALL their moles have a DH or partner check your back and any areas you cant see. Look for any moles or spots with irregular borders or uneven coloring along with anything that looks blackish. If you do have them checked professionally SOON. I also am taking my children in to have them checked because melanomas can run in families. I had been watching this particular mole for a while but this summer it darkened. I know I ignored it for a couple months because you just dont WANT it to be anything.

OK now for something to make you smile......
I am sure lots of you have read my posts about Nathan well here is another.
The day I went back and found out the results of my biopsy I had to take Nathan along. After Dr D told me he asked to do a head to toe exam for any other moles/lesions. I had to disrobe to my under garmets. While I was doing this and having my exam I look over and see Nathan ALSO disrobing. He strips BUCK NAKED and climbs up on the table with me. I am trying to process the whole cancer thing and at the same time TRYING not to crack up because of having a naked almost 3 yr old sitting be side me. Dr D was rolling and apologizing for laughing ( he has 4 kids of his own). He checked Nathan out while he was there and he looks good. When he was done "WE" got dressed and even the receptionist was chuckling.

Again Please everyone do a body check on yourself, DH's DP's children or anyone else you love and care about.

Thank you again for all your wishes and prayers

mommyoftwo
09-30-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm glad things went well for you. I've been waiting for an update. Nathan was so cute. Sounds like he will definitely be prepared for his next exam too. :) I think it's great that Nathan was copying his mommy and the doctor was so good natured about it.

daniele_ut
09-30-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm so glad that it went well! I hope the scar is minimal. LOL about Nathan! I'm glad he could bring some levity to the moment.

I do make sure that I get a mole check done yearly and I keep an eye on the many that I have. My skin is so fair, as is DSs, so I don't take any chances.

kboyle
09-30-2006, 10:24 AM
i'm glad to hear that things went well, even if it was more involved than you had expected.

i've had this one mole since birth that has changed in the past 2-3 years and i've already got an appt for a derm. ds has also gotten some moles removed. it's a scary thought, but it's great that docs are making it more known that you should check out anything irregular or stuff that's changed.

Lovingliv
09-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Wishing you wellness.....and Nathan continues to crack me up!

kozachka
09-30-2006, 11:51 AM
I am so glad to hear everything went well. Nathan disrobing sounds too cute, something my DS might do. I think I should have a 2 or 3 moles checked. I think they are fine but be better be safe than sorry.

brittone2
09-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the update. I hope you feel relieved to have the removal behind you for now.

You will continue to be in my thoughts, and thanks for the reminder to screen ourselves carefully.

The story about Nathan is great...he was just giving his mama lots of support by going through the head to toe exam with her LOL :)

pb&j
09-30-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm so glad to hear that everything went well. And also glad to hear you were able to find some levity in the situation. Kids are great for that. :)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34550.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

jd11365
09-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Glad to hear you are in good hands. A PA did my surgery...he was the only one who could do it immediately, and I wanted it removed IMMEDIATELY, not in 2 weeks when the doctor could do it. I have a pretty hideous scar, but as my DH says, "Better that than the alternative."

Nathan sounds like a riot. I can't believe you were able to hold such great composure and find humor in the day. You are such a strong woman!

And what an important PSA. Believe it or not, the spot that was Melanoma for me was checked just a year before, and was NOT biopsied. In just a year, things can change, so please everyone, have them checked. For the record, mine wasn't even blackish, but was irregular in shape and color. And outside of daily activities, I am not in the sun. As a matter of fact, I usually avoid it. Had my DH not noticed the spot, since it was out of my view on the back of my shoulder, I may have never known.

Melanoma is the deadliest form of skin cancer. I sang at a friend's funeral for the same thing just a year prior to my diagnosis. Like me, he was 30. Scary stuff, so please have those moles checked!

maestramommy
09-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the update. Glad everything went well, and your story about Nathan is a hoot!