PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher/disposal question

jamsmu
10-01-2006, 09:55 AM
This seems so silly, but are dishwashers always directly connected to disposals? We've noticed that anything in the disposal while the DW is on will end up in the DW and nothing will be cleaned. Which means that we can't put things down the disposal while the DW is running... and ours runs for ever!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
10-01-2006, 11:13 AM
I think so because we always run our disposal right before running the dishwasher. With that said we do not put big items in the disposal, and we have a mesh thing over the hole to make sure that no gunk gets in their. Our kitchen was built about 17 years ago and the pipes are not the best.

Our dishwasher also takes a long time.... and it is so LOUD!

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/060826/Fsm6.jpg[/img]http://b2.lilypie.com/alzym7/.png[/img][/url]

SnuggleBuggles
10-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Can't ou just run the disposal while the dishwahser is running? We also get back up in our sink if the disposal has stuff in it while the dishwaher is running but if we just run the disposal it turns out fine. No reason why you can't use the disposal while the dishwasher is going as far as I can see.

Our dishwasher has a "light wash" cycle and I have found that it actually does a great job and only takes like 35 minutes. I use that mode almost exclusively.

Beth

egoldber
10-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Yes, the DW has to be hooked up to the disposal. Thats where the debris goes from the dishwasher. I always make sure to run my disposal before I run the dishawasher.

It sounds as if perhaps your disposal or DW is not installed correctly though. I have never heard of debris from the disposal backing up into the DW. If I happen to forget to run the disposal first, the sink will sometimes fill up with water and debris from the disposal, bit NEVER into the dishwasher.

o_mom
10-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Ours is not hooked up to the disposal. The DW we have now has a built in disposal, but the previous one didn't and we never had a problem. I do think it sounds like something may not be right - the drain from the dishwasher should be one-way. Nothing should be going back into the dishwasher through the drain. They usually say to run the disposal before the dishwasher just to make sure it is empty and can drain well, not to keep stuff from going back.