PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Please. How to handle more than one potential buyer on CL

cmdunn1972
10-02-2006, 12:46 PM
I had not one, but TWO people who wanted to by the item I recently posted on CL. The one who responded first via email was also slower to respond to my follow-up email, and I couldn't get a hold of her over the phone number she left either. So, I contacted the second person, who was very interested.

How do I let her know that she missed the boat by not being quick enough with the follow through? I hate to appear like a cutthroat jerk, but prompt follow-ups are important since I want to deal with the person who seems most interested.

Globetrotter
10-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Just email #1 and tell them sorry, since you didn't hear from them, it was sold to someone else. I've gotten muliple offers before, many times, and I usually go with the most enthusiastic buyer LOL

However, I usually give #1 a deadline in advance. Something like: "I have several people who are interested. If I don't hear from you by tonight, I will sell it the next person." I think that's fair!

Kris

Wife_and_mommy
10-02-2006, 01:07 PM
nak

i'd sell it to whoever got there and paid first. you can't be expected to sit and wait in case #1 wants it. maybe send an email saying it sold due to person's non-response to cyb.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png

punkrockmama
10-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Yep, I would just be straight up and say you snooze you lose (in a nice way,lol).

Just say that it has already been sold as you did not hear back from her in a timely manner.

cmdunn1972
10-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks, all of you, for your advice!

I sent her an email saying, simply, that the items were already sold. (This was after calling her this afternoon and getting only voice mail.) She wrote back, "Why didn't you call?" to which I responded, "I did. You didn't answer the phone."

FTR, I can't wait to get these things out of my house at this point. ;)

DrSally
10-03-2006, 08:35 AM
I like this approach. I contacted a seller immediately upon posting her item and she replied that it was still avai. I contacted her about arranging a pickup time, and then didn't hear from her. When I contacted her back, she had set something up with another person. I thought that was poor ettiquite. Luckily, the other person never followed through, so I got it, but I felt like giving her a lecture on CL ettiquite.

kijip
10-03-2006, 09:58 AM
I always make it clear in my emails that the first cash in hand gets it. it is totally fine to respond to the first person and say "I was not able to reach you so I went with another buyer. Good luck finding another (item) to buy!"

fauve01
10-03-2006, 10:06 AM
sorry to barge in and i apologize for the hijack, but i can't stand it~ what is CL? I am sure it is obvious and as soon as you tell me i will be hanging my head in *DUH* shame.

TIA~

Anne

kellyotn
10-03-2006, 10:21 AM
www.craigslist.com, basically a free online classifieds. :)

fauve01
10-03-2006, 10:22 AM
AHHH! DUH! thank you so much. :-)

Anne

cmdunn1972
10-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks for answering Anne's question for me! I was at playgroup and couldn't get to it. :)