PDA

View Full Version : Thin warm socks?

Globetrotter
10-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Has anyone seen any THIN yet warm socks? I can't wear my trusty fleece socks with my Danskos (too tight :( ) so I need something else. I am allergic to wool so that won't work. Any ideas?

Kris

jgriffin
10-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Back when I lived in Iowa I had a pair of silk sock liners. They weren't meant to be worn alone, but instead with another pair of socks (thin or not) to act as insulation.

Alas, they were a gift, so I don't know where they came from.

eta: Do you have a wool allergy, or just an intolerence? I know a few people who say they are allergic to wool, but have found some wool items to be ok. The type of wool, how it was spun, and how it was knit/woven can make a big difference in something driving you up the wall with itching and being just fine. Of course, there are people who are really just allergic, and nothing works for them.
Jen

C99
10-02-2006, 04:47 PM
That stinks about the wool. If you weren't, I was going to suggest Smartwool. I LOVE mine; they've become the only socks I wear from about November through April.

aliceinwonderland
10-02-2006, 06:05 PM
I was going to suggest cashmere, but if you're allergic to wool, that probably doesn't help you at all :(

My DH wears the aforementioned Smartwool and other wool blend ones, as his feet are always cold owing to his RA.

jeniferrlynne
10-02-2006, 10:36 PM
I would suggest doing a google search for snow skiing socks. I did a quick search and noticed a number of options, hopefully thin and non-wool!
Example
http://www.thorlo.com/socks/snow-skiing-socks/over-calf/75.php
or
http://www.snowshack.com/bulastars.html

Not the cutest but hopefully will be a great starting point...

candybomiller
10-02-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm allergic to wool too, but I do have this one pair of wool socks I can wear. I don't remember what kind they are, but they have a funky looking guy logo on them. I'll see if I can find another pair like them in the mall tomorrow.

shilo
10-03-2006, 12:25 AM
if the funny looking little guy looks like this (https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm), they are smartwool. and i totally agree, i usually can't wear most wool. i'm very intolerant to it. but after discovering i could wear their cycling socks (on accident - didn't know they were wool) i started trying their other socks. they rock. no itch, even with sweaty feet (ewwww.)

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

Globetrotter
10-03-2006, 01:35 AM
I think I might check out the Smartwool! I'm not terribly allergic, but I do tend to itch with some wool sweaters so I assumed I am allergic :)

ellies mom
10-03-2006, 01:49 AM
Oh definately try out the Smartwool socks then. They are spendy but great. Wool is not created equal so you'll probably be fine. They feel more like cotton than scratchy wool.

egoldber
10-03-2006, 07:38 AM
My DH has some socks that are alpaca. That might work if the Smartwool doesn't. The brand name is Dahlgren and he got them at REI.