PDA

View Full Version : Help a preschool mama newbie!

vwh99
10-04-2006, 04:01 PM
DD just started in the 2's class at preschool and in dropping her off, I've noticed some of the older kids bringing in their 'treats' for their classes on presumably their birthdays. Unfortunately for me, I've been dealing with a newborn & recuperating from surgeries since dd started school, so I haven't had the time/energy to hang around school to chat w/ the other moms too much.

DD's birthday is at the end of the month....what kind of birthday 'treats'do people bring? Is it all just cookies & cupcakes sort of thing or is there a healthier alternative? Or are the healthy treats considered not fun enough? Also, what to do if I've got egg and nut allergies in the class?

TIA,
Val

vwh99
10-04-2006, 04:01 PM
DD just started in the 2's class at preschool and in dropping her off, I've noticed some of the older kids bringing in their 'treats' for their classes on presumably their birthdays. Unfortunately for me, I've been dealing with a newborn & recuperating from surgeries since dd started school, so I haven't had the time/energy to hang around school to chat w/ the other moms too much.

DD's birthday is at the end of the month....what kind of birthday 'treats'do people bring? Is it all just cookies & cupcakes sort of thing or is there a healthier alternative? Or are the healthy treats considered not fun enough? Also, what to do if I've got egg and nut allergies in the class?

TIA,
Val

kedss
10-04-2006, 04:10 PM
I would talk to the teacher, and find out what the usual procedure is.
Some preschools don't like sweet treats, but others do. :)

kedss
I would talk to the teacher, and find out what the usual procedure is.
Some preschools don't like sweet treats, but others do. :)

tarabenet
Believe it or not, this has been the subject of some pretty heated debates around here! The food allergy issues you mention are quite serious these days. Start by asking the preschool teachers about known allergies and about guidelines they ask parents to follow on treats. Even then, though, I'd be careful to avoid the more common allergens (peanuts, nuts, chocolate, strawberries) because the consequences are so not worth risking. As a kindness to teachers and other parents, I don't think anyone should be "sugaring up" the kids at school, and kids can be just as happy with healthier alternatives with the right presentation.

Just hoping to defuse the potential hot topic! Good luck. And "happy birthday" to DD in a few weeks!

tarabenet
Believe it or not, this has been the subject of some pretty heated debates around here! The food allergy issues you mention are quite serious these days. Start by asking the preschool teachers about known allergies and about guidelines they ask parents to follow on treats. Even then, though, I'd be careful to avoid the more common allergens (peanuts, nuts, chocolate, strawberries) because the consequences are so not worth risking. As a kindness to teachers and other parents, I don't think anyone should be "sugaring up" the kids at school, and kids can be just as happy with healthier alternatives with the right presentation.

Just hoping to defuse the potential hot topic! Good luck. And "happy birthday" to DD in a few weeks!

vwh99
10-04-2006, 04:15 PM
>Believe it or not, this has been the subject of some pretty
>heated debates around here!

Sorry...I tried to search, but I must have missed those posts!

vwh99
10-04-2006, 04:15 PM
>Believe it or not, this has been the subject of some pretty
>heated debates around here!

Sorry...I tried to search, but I must have missed those posts!

miki
10-04-2006, 04:22 PM
My DD was in preschool for her 2nd bday and just had another at a new school. Our new school does not allow food treats because of allergies. They sing a silly song and the birthday kid gets a book and little toy from the class. At our last school, I chose not to send in anything special to eat. Instead, I donated one of DD's favorite books to the class and I came in during the last 15 minutes as the "Mystery Reader" and read the book.

miki
10-04-2006, 04:22 PM
My DD was in preschool for her 2nd bday and just had another at a new school. Our new school does not allow food treats because of allergies. They sing a silly song and the birthday kid gets a book and little toy from the class. At our last school, I chose not to send in anything special to eat. Instead, I donated one of DD's favorite books to the class and I came in during the last 15 minutes as the "Mystery Reader" and read the book.

mamicka
10-04-2006, 04:35 PM
What a great idea! "Mystery Reader" - I love it!

Allison

mamicka
10-04-2006, 04:35 PM
What a great idea! "Mystery Reader" - I love it!

Allison

SnuggleBuggles
10-04-2006, 06:03 PM
You should ask for a parent handbook- it will have that info in it (at least it should!). I also agree with asking the teachers for normal routine as well as food allergies.

Luckily in my son's class the parents are pretty mellow about b-day treats and there were no allergies at all. So, b-days were cake, cupcakes...

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
10-04-2006, 06:03 PM
You should ask for a parent handbook- it will have that info in it (at least it should!). I also agree with asking the teachers for normal routine as well as food allergies.

Luckily in my son's class the parents are pretty mellow about b-day treats and there were no allergies at all. So, b-days were cake, cupcakes...

Beth

Tondi G
10-04-2006, 06:47 PM
YUP! run it by the teacher and see what is ok with them! If cupcakes are ok then go for cupcakes. If not how about fruit or maybe muffins... banana (without nuts), blueberry, carrot, zuchini, chocolate chip. At my DS's preschool we had pizza delivered that day and the kids had popsicles instead of cake/cupcakes since it was a HOT July Day!

Good luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

pittsburghgirl
10-04-2006, 07:11 PM
My DS has a boy with an egg allergy in his class (which we unfortunately discovered last year in Parent/Tot after I brought sugar cookies for DS's birthday). The next birthday the mom brought in an apricot bar treat, and then the last was Chinese rice cookies.

This year for our Halloween party the boy's mom is making egg-free sugar cookies for the kids to decorate (other moms are bringing the frosting and decorations.)

So definitely find out from the teacher, or ask the teacher to find out, if there are any unusual allergies in the class.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://b3.lilypie.com/CSwdm4.png

emilyf
10-04-2006, 07:12 PM
No allergies at my ds's school but his teacher prefers cookies over cupcakes (less messy maybe?) Anyway, I'd just ask.
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

miki
10-04-2006, 09:10 PM
The Mystery Reader was actually a weekly thing that happened every Friday. It could be a kid's mom, dad, sister, whoever. The teachers would tell the kids to put their heads down, cover their eyes, no peeking. When the kids figured out what the point of it was, they always got very excited. VERY big deal for the kid who knew the Mystery Reader.

DebbieJ
10-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Ask the school. Our school says no to peanuts and no cupcakes (too messy). Last year I brought little ice cream cups and it went over well.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

squimp
10-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Stickers are a nice birthday treat. DD's school has a pretend birthday cake - they light the candle and everything for each birthday.