PDA

View Full Version : levaquin v. tequin ??

Lynnie
10-05-2006, 09:38 AM
I have the sinus infection from H#LL. My doc is out of town and has no one covering for him. (the service said, if its an emergency, go to the emergency room. its not, I just think i need antibiotics).

He prescribed tequin for me once and levaquin once. Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the two ?? Not to be giving medical advice or anything, just you know, a general discussion on the merits of one drug vs. another.

I really need to get something and may call my ob'gyn and plead with her to call in a prescription for me, I really don't know any other doctor who could see me for this.

And, perhaps she could give me an ice pick to relieve the pressure in my head/sinuses. (sorry, that part belongs in bitching forum)

megs4413
10-05-2006, 09:52 AM
could you go to an urgent care center? they woudl be able to prescribe you something. Did the doc mention levaquin and tequin as options in this case? not all antibiotics work for all types of infections...i'm not sure since i'm not a doc myself, but it woudl be worth it to me to have a doc pick one. if you have a PPO type of insurance plan, in which, you can see any doctor you choose without a referral, you could always call around to ENTs and see if anyone might have a cancellation today or coudl squeeze you in for a "sick" visit. An ENT will know what to do (i had to go to one for my last sinus infection becuase it was so bad).

Now the drug facts, both tequin and levaquin belong to an atibiotic group called the quinolones. They are chemically similar and have similar side effect warnings. They are used in similar infections. Tequin is newer than levaquin. IMO, you might want to go with whatever worked best for you before (assuming one did). My guess is either would be fine in this situation and there's really no reason to choose one over the other.

*disclaimer* i'm not a doctor so your best bet is to get to a doctor today!

table4three
10-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Tequin was pulled off the market in May beacuse of some side effects involving blood sugar, elderly people and kidney problems, from what I've read. Levaquin is still available and apparently has a better side effect profile.

I hope you are feeling better soon!

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

dr mom
10-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Levaquin would undoubtedly treat your sinus infection. Ditto what the PP said.

Minute Clinics are popping up in places like Wal-Mart, and they are ideal for situations like yours. Basically an urgent care, staffed by a nurse practitioner, with MD supervision available by phone if needed. Most insurance plans treat them as an Urgent Cares and the co-pay is generally less than if you go to the ER.

If your OB can't help you, that's your best bet. Avoid the ER if possible, you'll be waiting all day to be seen and most likely have a whopper of a bill for it.

Lynnie
10-05-2006, 01:04 PM
yeah, there is no way I am going to the ER for a sinus infection. I mean, I am ready to tear my head off I am in so much pain, but its not that kind of emergency. I rarely use antibiotics, but generally know when I need them.

I will have to check out those minute places, or look for an urgent care aroind here. great idea.

And thanks for the tip on tequin. I just got levaquin called in, thankfully. Hopefully they'll have DS's diaper rash ointment to pick up to when I go to get it (another post from BP)