PDA

View Full Version : Dance b-day party with boys?

1ceng1
10-05-2006, 08:02 PM
I am thinking of having my DD's 4th b-day at her ballet school. DD has been to dance parties before with boys and the instructors kept it gender neutral. Her teacher even said it would be things like the chicken dance, hokey pokey, etc., and, in fact, no ballet at all. But some of the moms whose sons would be invited gave me a less than enthusiatic reaction. They did not say they hated the idea, just didn't seem too thrilled. Would you be turned off to the idea of your son going to a girl's dance party held at her ballet studio? I know once they got there (if they get there) they would realize it is not a girly thing at all. Also, I don't want them to think I am trying to exclude their sons by having what they perceive as a girls party. Is this dance party a bad idea?

Thanks! I know nothing about mothering boys!

SnuggleBuggles
10-05-2006, 08:36 PM
I grew up dancing. I believe that dance is an excellent stepping stone for a lot of things- and a skill that boys and girls (men and women) should have. It's about being well rounded and having an appreciation for music and movement. So, my son has been taking dance lessons. First because I wanted him to and now because he likes it. I get such weird looks from the other moms and it bugs me so much! I have no idea why some momshave trouble with their little boys dancing. It's just fun!

I say invite all the people you were planning to invite and if for some reasons the parents don't want to send their child then it is their loss. I think it sounds like a great idea for a party! Have fun!!!

Beth

MarisaSF
10-05-2006, 08:46 PM
>I say invite all the people you were planning to invite and if
>for some reasons the parents don't want to send their child
>then it is their loss.

I agree.
I think there are few things more important than showing and teaching kids what their bodies are capable of doing. I think some parents (of both boys and girls) are embarassed about dancing because they were never encouraged or learned how themselves. It is like public speaking to some.

Sounds like a great party idea!

DebbieJ
10-05-2006, 09:30 PM
I think it would be an awesome party. My son dances at home all the time!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

punkrockmama
10-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Is this dance party a bad
>idea?
>

Nope, boys like to dance to. Dancing and jumping around and trying new things is the BEST. I'd be super happy if Peyton was invited to a party like that.

IMHO, some people can just be way too uptight about things. Look, I think it's totally cool that you thought of this idea. I'd be way more excited to take my son to a party at a ballet studio than Chuckie Cheese or something. I say get out of the box and have some fun.

Good luck and I hope the party's a smash! :)

stefani
10-06-2006, 12:07 AM
No, not at all (not turned off). DS loves dancing, I love ballet, so if DS is invited to such a party, I think we both will have a blast! (ballet or not).

I would say, go for it!

sdbc
10-06-2006, 07:36 AM
I only have a daughter, but most of the little boys I know like dancing to fun music. I think they'd enjoy it. I think some parents would feel weird if it were a pink, princessy dance party, though. If you send invites or evites, keep the theme more like a dance party than ballet to avoid gender stereotypes. OTOH, it IS your daughter's b-day, so if she likes pink, well then, what the heck.

emilyf
10-06-2006, 09:21 AM
They're probably imagining ballet lessons with tutus and pirouettes-I'd just clarify it for any moms who seem confused. My ds would love a party like you describe-heck he'd probably be fine with tutus and pirouettes too!
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

newmomto3kids
10-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Johnny would love it!! I also love parties at ChuckE Cheese and playlands too, but it is always extra nice to have something special and a little different to do. Boy or girl...
Sounds like you will have lots of fun!!

bnme
10-06-2006, 10:45 AM
My nephews 4th b-dy party was at an icecream shop. It ws basically dancing (hokey pokey, chicken dance, etc) followed by parachute time, followed by pizza and icecream. Sounds basically like what you are having. It was mostly boys, some older, and they all had a great time.

I would explain and then they can decide. I also think there would be nothing wrong if it were more girlie, if that were the type of party she wanted. I know someone that had a princess theme tea party and made sure to have some boy stuff around, but the boys were into the tea party anyway. I think at this age it doesn't really matter to the kids.

Also, my older DS would be thrilled to go to any party, regardless of the theme!!!

lovin2shop
10-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Drew would love a dance party, I definitely say go for it. He has been to plenty of princess themed parties also, and the moms did "prince" themed take home treats for the boys. I see it as no different than a girl invited to a dinosaur or fireman theme party, and I've never seen a girl unhappy to be there. Have fun, and I think that it is a great idea!

crl
10-06-2006, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't mind at all! DS is three and I'd be absolutely totally fine with this.

The only thing I wonder, maybe the other moms are worried that the "teacher" will expect their kids to behave and follow instructions. I think the stereotype that girls do that better at an earlier age is actually true. So maybe the boys' moms are dreading the behavioral expectation aspect? Just a thought.

That said, as long as no one actually has those kind of expectations, I don't think it is a bad idea.