PDA

View Full Version : What baby gear (used/new) do you use that they say you shouldn't?

punkrockmama
10-06-2006, 05:59 AM
There are things I will be using (and used with Peyton) that fall into the "not recommended for" category. I mean, obviously I wouldn't do anything REALLY stupid just to save a buck or be stubborn, but....

He is now 4 inches outside the recommended height for his crib and still sleeping in it. We'll be putting him in a big boy bed soon, but not right away as it'll be enough of a shock to his system when the new baby comes. Trying not to rock his world completely

A friend let me borrow her pump. I got all the new parts I was supposed to though. I think it's crazy to spend so much on something and then have it be useless after when it's still perfectly fine. Who just wants to have everyone buy one of their wonderful products and make that revenue? Hmmm.

I helped someone find and buy a used crib. We checked to see if it had been recalled, the slats were close enough together, the instructions were included, and we bought a new mattress for it.

My kid (and the newest one will also) sleeps in non-flame retardant "lounge wear" that are not skin tight. (hanna zippers and long johns)

I don't use crib bumpers though. I'm not campaigning against them or anything. I just didn't a. want to spend the money on them as I don't see the point, and b. I don't like the way they look.

How about you? :)

sdbc
10-06-2006, 07:21 AM
We had a used crib. BUT it was only a couple of years old, from when they still had the same safety regs, AND that particular crib was still being made. One warning, though, if you do this:
BBB had warned about used cribs since the directions, etc don't come with it. So, we emailed Simmons and requested the instructions. They sent them right away. We found out from the instructions (before DD was born) that even though we put the crib together and it looked right, it was missing something called the STABILITY BAR! It turned out that the people still had it and we got it from them, but I still feel this need to warn people that if they buy a used crib to absolutely, positively get the instructions from the manufacturer. We did, btw, use a new mattress. The crib was great, and it the end, we sold it for the same amount we bought it for!!!

DD also sleeps in non-flame-retardant sleepwear. Heck, she sometimes even sleeps in her clothes...

We were neurotic about all the SIDS stiff, though, so DD had nothing in her crib until about 18 months old.

SnuggleBuggles
10-06-2006, 07:22 AM
We didn't use bumpers either but I think that is the safer way to go. Rather a bonked noggin than a suffocation and since my ds loved to snuggle in a corner of the crib I really would have worried.

PJs, just like the OP said.

I feel really guilty about switching ds out of his Britax RA about 40lbs and into a booster. I should have bought a 5pt harness that goes to a higher weight instead. I hate that he is in a less safe car seat riding on the side now instead of the middle. I may still change my mind on this and go buy a Regent or something. :)

Used breast pumps are OK from all I have heard, btw.

Beth

katerinasmom
10-06-2006, 07:38 AM
I have a used crib - probably at least 10-12 years old - but the slats were fine and it came with all of the parts AND the assembly instructions.

I also used a borrowed breast pump and just bought new attachments.

And I let DD sleep on her stomach when nothing else would work (before she was rolling over on her own but after she was lifting her head up with ease). I checked on her every fifteen minutes or so for the first week and slowly became more comfortable as she continued to thrive. However, there was absolutely nothing else in the crib with her - no dolls, animals, blankets, pillows, etc.

I also left her in her exersaucer for more than the recommended 20 minutes a day - more like an hour at a time. It was the only way I could take a shower, make dinner, do laundry, etc. And she walks just fine.

lizajane
10-06-2006, 08:00 AM
i finally stopped arguing with my parents about the crib at their house (we are here now, in fact.) they bought it used... for my sister. she will be 34 next month. so this crib is probably close to FORTY years old. the slates are wide, the rail is low, and we found it all askew one time when schuyler was in it. i FREAKED OUT on my dad until he fixed it. it bother me, yes. but my babies were so big, i didn't think they could actually fit their heads through the slates. i do worry that dylan will jump out of it, though. last night i piled pillows on the floor beside it.

Jenn98
10-06-2006, 08:20 AM
We use one of those bath seats in the tub. (This is the part where I feel I need to explain that I don't leave her unattended and I feel much safer with my monkey in a seat than flailing all over the tub - I've had stitches several times and hope to prevent the same for my DD!)

DD sleeps in non-flame retardant jammies all the time. We have smoke detectors that we check regularly.

She occassionally sleeps with stuffed friends in her crib - but we didn't start that until she was over a year (and mostly throws them out of the crib before she falls asleep anyway!)

I occasionally slept with her on my chest as an infant on the couch in the middle of the night. Now that the guest bedroom bed is all set up I will probably sleep there with the new baby if I need to.

I let her eat dirt. :) There's only one way to find out that it's yucky and that's to try it! (Of course I discourage it and try to prevent if I can, but a handful of sand at the beach or a cat fuzzy in the house isn't going to kill her!)

heidiann
10-06-2006, 08:32 AM
DD has slept on her belly since she came home from the hospital (the only way she would sleep longer than 20 minutes)
- She sleeps in loose fitting pjs (hanna zippers) I couldn't imagine sleeping in something that was sooo tight so I just didn't put her in them.
- I have cover her with a small blanket since she was about 3 months old, it is now her "lovey" (so if anyone knows where I can find anymore baby morgan blankets i'd love the suggestions, the company is no longer open)
- I have on occasion gave her a bottle that she already drank out of and sat out longer than the recommended hour in the middle of the night
- I used the exersaucer and the jumparoo wayyyyy to much

Heidi
Mom to Jillian 10/20/05

Piglet
10-06-2006, 10:07 AM
LOL - we can call this thread "the BBB confessional"!

Okay, my turn:

1) both DS slept and continue to sleep on their tummies (did this after about 8 weeks with both of them).

2) I borrowed a breast pump both times from good friends (PIS with DS1 and Avant Isis with DS2). I also bought a Medela Harmony and liked it better so I won't have to borrow ever again.

3) I have never bought chemically treated PJs, I hope. I use HA Zippers, or ON/Gap/TCP tight fitted PJs in 1 size too big.

4) DS2 has has a pillow in his crib since he was 1.

5) I didn't even know cribs had height restrictions (do they?).

6) DS1 rides in a backless booster in my dad's car, and a highback booster in every other car. He is over 5 and could probably continue to be harnessed longer, but he rides in 4 different cars a week and I can't get everyone to harness him in - he is great about riding in his boosters.

Okay, I am glad I got that off my chest :)

wencit
10-06-2006, 10:35 AM
My guilty confessions:

1. On many occasions, DS has slept with a blanket in his crib or bassinette. He liked being swaddled in the beginning, but sometimes his receiving blanket would come undone while he was sleeping, which I think is a big no-no. Also, swaddling is still the best way to get him to sleep for an extended period of time, and of course you need a blanket to swaddle.

2. I purchased a Jumperoo. Developmentally, I know it's not the best thing for DS, but Burton White said it was OK. :D I do try to limit his time in it, which makes me feel even worse because that thing cost me $80. However, sometimes it was the only way I could take a shower or keep my sanity because once DS outgrew his playmat, there was nothing else in our house that could entertain him for more than 5 minutes.

KrisM
10-06-2006, 10:49 AM
At my parents, they had a crib that was purchased new - for my mom in 1949! Yikes. They got rid of it recently, since we're not over enough to justify them keeping it. I was okay with it once DS was older. The problem isn't that they can fit their heads through, but that they can fit their bodies and not their heads through and strangle themselves.

Lead paint was an issue too, but it wasn't flaking at all.

newnana
10-06-2006, 10:56 AM
We bought a used crib from a garage sale. It was less than a year old, and had the manual and everything. They had 2 kids and needed it for about 3 months before moving one to a toddler bed. Great for me!

I bought a friend's pump and replaced everything I should have. It didn't make sense to me either.

We did use crib bumpers until she was rolling. Before we moved her room around, they were great for blocking the light from shining directly in her eyes when she was trying to sleep at 6:30 am and pm!

I don't know the recommendations on this, but DD is 16.5 months old and we still swaddle her, arms out, like we have since she was 2 weeks old. Her toes now stick out, too; but that's because the blankets are too small. Maybe I should learn to sew.

DD wears shoes all the time. Since they are outside at DC alot, they prefer them not to be the soft soled like Robeez. About a week ago she got her first pair of big girl tennis shoes (some brown and pink pumas) and she is addicted to them. She likes to stomp and kick them and cries when we try to take them off. I figure the novelty will wear off and she can be my shoeless girl on the weekends.

I"m sure there are many more, but I'm having trouble thinking of them at the moment. Great thread!
Michelle

elliput
10-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Was given a used Pump In Style. I bought new tubing, horns etc. Works just fine.

Also given a used exersaucer. DD liked it but it didn't get daily use.

DD co-slept with a heavy down comforter on the bed. She now has a couple of fleece blankets in her crib.

mudder17
10-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Interesting thread. Well, we'll be using DD's crib and mattress for #2. I just discovered a tear in the outside part (it's one of hte Target foam mattresses with outside waterproof layer) and am debating whether to duct tape it (Susan's DH would be proud!) or replace it or just leave it alone.

DD#2 will also be using Kaya's old infant carseat carrier. It's missing a part, but it's a part that has nothing to do with the safety of the seat (just the convenience of adjusting).

As for the crib, Kaya was in hers until just recently and we would have let her stay in there until she was 3 or 4 if she had wanted. Yes, she would have outgrown the height, but with the crib tent in place, we honestly were not worried about her hurting herself. As for the weight limit--well, she's a lightweight kid (still only 26 pounds), so it was the height she had outgrown, not the weight. If she had outgrown the weight, we definitely would have moved her.

Eileen

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33734.gif 31 months...

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/1.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev317pp___.png

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/33732.gif for Leah

o_mom
10-06-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm going to also jump on this - heads fitting through is NOT the problem with wide slats. It is when they fit their body through and not their head. There are many reports of kids strangling that way. I would spend $40 on a new pack-n-play and ditch the old crib (cut it up in pieces and throw it in the trash).

Moneypenny
10-06-2006, 11:34 AM
DD is 26 months, and...

We still have the crib bumper in her crib. I took it out when she started moving around, but the crib looked so cold and jail-like without it so I put it back in.

She still sits in the exersaucer every day while DH takes his shower. She likes to sit in there and play with her LeapPad.

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

oliviasmomma
10-06-2006, 11:44 AM
This thread is too funny! Let me slink up to the bench and enter my plea...

We use bumpers--even now at 17mo. Every time I take them off, DD keeps bumping her head and waking up. (We also just took her mobile down last month when she started to play with it. We gave her the stuffed bears after we took it down and she was never so happy--they are her little friends she's never been able to cuddle. She walked around holding at least one for days afterward.)

After 3 months of only being able to sleep (for more than a few minutes) on my or DH's chest we gave in and let her belly-sleep. She was in our room in a bassinet next to me until she was 8mo old, though.

We let her sleep in loose, non flame retardant clothing after about 1year or so

I gave her cereal at 4 months just to shut my mom up (only a couple of times, when my P's were over)

DD has a hand-me-down crib and exersaucer. The saucer was only used when I needed a shower or when I was taking things in & out of the oven. The crib is in great shape and we checked obsessively for recalls.

I used to BF DD while she laid on a pillow across my lap and I used the computer--I know, I know--but I would have failed my online classes and we all would have died from exahustion.

When I'm desperate, I let DD eat low fat cheese puffs. There, I said it. That feels better.

DD has a bunch of choking-hazard toys that I only let her play with under strict supervision--she isn't a mouther anyway, but I always think they'll come take her away if anyone knew.

Lastly...we've been know to lay DD down with a bottle on occasion. It is usually one with only an ounce or so left, she finishes it and throws it out of her crib so I'm not too concerned. It is one of those things I swore I'd NEVER do, though.

I justr ead my list and I sound like a terrible mom! :(

maestramommy
10-06-2006, 03:28 PM
I think regarding the pump, someone said the PIS has a membrane inside the guts that technically could be contaminated with old milk. But I THINK you can contact Medela for a new one.

FWIW, Dora is in a 3rd hand crib. We got it from a friend who got it from her friend after 2 ds's when through it. It was a fairly recent model and up to code. We even used the mattress for a while because it was viny-covered.

There are the obvious ones, like carseats (unless you know where it came from), walkers..

denna
10-06-2006, 03:35 PM
We are planning to buy a walker soon. They are still used in Europe alot and we have no stairs in our house or even a threshold, etc. So we feel it is save, and we do not use any of DSs toys as substitute supervision so we are getting that.

DS doesnt have a crib (getting one to Italy proved much to much for me) and slept w/ us til he was about 3 months and then we felt it wasnt save since he was squirming down, so now he is in his play pen and will soon be moved to a twin size bed (set on the ground against a wall w/a bed rail). DHs uncle is a ped and their DD has been in a twin bed since she could crawl, it worked for them and it is much easier to get a twin bed here then a crib.

Lets see, well DS has slept on his tummy since he was born and he has had blankets in his bassinet while he sleeps. We have done the breathe through test on everything and if we can pull it over our heads and still breathe through it, it can go in his crib.

I think thats it....

thomma
10-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Let's just put it this way...it never occurred to me that cribs would have a height limit. My kids are almost 3 1/2 and tall but they haven't a clue how to get out and show no interest to do so. They're staying in those puppies as long as possible! :)

They also still sleep in packnplays at daycare and they weigh more than the limit. She wants them staying put as much as I do.

Everything else was by the book because we were too afraid to do otherwise. Between being first time parents and having preemies we were a tad overly cautious.

jenjenfirenjen
10-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Did not even know there were height/weight limits on cribs. I would guess that DS may be approaching them if he hasn't already but I have no plans to move him until he wants to sleep in a big boy bed. He has made no attempt to climb out and sleeps very well in his crib.

I also recently bought a used crib (to move DS1 into when DS2 moves into the nursery.)

Which brings me to co-sleeping with DS2. I have co-slept with him on the couch. It's starting to get cold so I am now using my down comforter in our bed while we co-sleep. But the kid is in the crook of my arm and he's not going anywhere.

I don't think I've ever used flame-retardant sleepwear though mostly they are in the rather tight cotton ones (Gap, ON, Gymbo.)

With DS1, I didn't even want to leave the room when he was in the bouncy seat. With DS2, he was in the bouncy seat, up on the kitchen counter and often not strapped in. But he wasn't even moving yet (we're talking newborn.) Now he's always strapped in and often on the floor, not the counter.

I stopped pre-washing new clothes. Neither one has ever had any kind of skin reaction so I'm skipping it.

punkrockmama
10-06-2006, 09:15 PM
>I don't think I've ever used flame-retardant sleepwear though
>mostly they are in the rather tight cotton ones (Gap, ON,
>Gymbo.)
>

I think, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that if they are marketed/sold as "pajamas" then they have to be coated in a flame retardant something or other as required by law.

And I don't wash new clothes either. :)

Let's see, what else can I 'fess up to....

I did wait until about seven months to give Peyton solids officially. But I did, on one occasion give him a few sips of my chocolate shake at around four months or so.

He also spent more than a few nights in our bed with the blankets and pillows. Eeek!

Melanie
10-06-2006, 11:49 PM
A Crib! It was from my cousin who is now 14, but I checked and it met all current safety requirements. I did actually even use the mattress, but with Dd I read that a used mattress could be a SIDS contributing factor so I bought her a new one. Not as though she ever SLEPT in it anyway. LOL.

I also bought a used Ameda pump but bought new parts of it.

Definitely a loose-fitting cotton PJ-wearing family, here. I figure I'll just make sure the kids put out their cigarettes before they go to sleep.

Melanie
10-06-2006, 11:52 PM
"I think, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that if they are marketed/sold as "pajamas" then they have to be coated in a flame retardant something or other as required by law."

I believe they can also be super-tight fitting cotton and be marketed as PJs with a warning that they are not flame retardant and must fit tight.

bisous
10-07-2006, 12:49 AM
My son turned 3 on Wednesday but he's been playing with really tiny blocks and manipulatives for at least a year! My mom is a kindergarten teacher and brings home things to sort, i.e. little plastic frogs, tiny wooden cubes, etc. and he will literally spend hours putting them in an out of buckets, organizing by color, lining up on the stairs. While I know that this is taking a risk, I've never really been concerned because he is very well supervised and doesn't seem to be interested in mouthing them. At least now he's legal!

Fairy
10-07-2006, 01:51 AM
Related topic, we have a railing for the upstairs, and before DS was born, DH bought mesh and wrapped it around the railing so that nothing could actually get thru the bars of the railing. My friends thought it was a little much, but then at my grandparents house last month, we watched in shock as 2-year-old DS put his whole body thru the bars of a railing that is in their basement, ground level. The two of us looked at each other and said, "thank god!"

Fairy
10-07-2006, 01:53 AM
Didja know we all eat a pack of dirt in our lifetimes? That's what I hear, anyway. Hey, it's organic.

Fairy
10-07-2006, 02:05 AM
Are you kidding? I was so worried that he would break that I did everything by the book. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of something. I'm serious, I went hyper-overbaord. Ok, here are a few.

1. I got an exersaucer for my shower. I refused to put it together. DH did it when I wasn't looking. I relented and put DS in it for exactly 20 minutes one time a day every now and then and cried. Eventually got over it and said, this isn't so bad ... right when he lost interest.

2. I don't use regular cups for him very often; still using the sippy cups. He's capable, I'm just in denial.

3. Never used All-Free kind of detergent; always used regular stuff, even with softener sheets!

4. During nap, if he wakes up early, I pray he'll go back to sleep and let him whine a bit before I relent and go up. Often, he goes back to sleep, but sometimes I probably wait longer than I should to give up.

5. Not all my sheets currently have the elastic all the way around; some only on the ends. At 2, as we discussed in another thread, he's probably beyond suffocation, but to this day, I check him to be sure he's breathing. Alot.

6. Meals could be alot better. I avoid hydrogenated oils, trans fats, etc., but there's still alot of Chef Boiardee, Hormel meals, Tyson Chicken Breast nuggets, jello. Always veggies and fruit, too, but the food could be better.

jenjenfirenjen
10-07-2006, 06:12 AM
I think you're right. Hence the warning labels on the Gap, ON and Gymbo PJs that they must be tight-fitting.

JBaxter
10-07-2006, 06:26 AM
We used our exersaucer ALOT. Nathan had reflux and spit up for 11 1/2 months. He seemed better in the upright position and h onestly it was easier to clean up the yuck on the plastic tray. I used the basinette from Logan ( 12yrs older) same mattress Nathan was the 8th child to use it but only the first 3 months. He was also a tummy sleeper after about 7weeks before then he didnt sleep. We also had the door way jumper and from about 5 months I would put him in that for 15 min each morning. It made him poop then I didnt have to worry about it the rest of the day ( usually). I guess it was the leg exersise but EVERY time he did ( sad huh).

KrisM
10-07-2006, 08:12 AM
When we used my parents, it was when DS was big enough not to fit through at all. Also, just for short naps.

When my parents got rid of it, they didn't cut it up, since that can be a pain. But, they put 1 part of it out in the trash each week. Someone would have had to pay a lot of attention to get all the pieces to make a crib.

DrSally
10-07-2006, 01:39 PM
I heard someone call it the "poop-a-roo" :) b/c it seems to make babies poo.

I swaddled DS and propped him up on the boppy to sleep. It says you're not supposed to, but he was swaddled, so I didn't think he could squirm out and get his face up against it. He had reflux so bad, it was the only thing that would keep the milk in him. We also put him down with a burp cloth under his head every night, or I'd be washing sheets after every nap and every morning. He didn't move around too much when he was that little, but he began holding it up against his cheek to get to sleep.

That's all I can think of now, but I'm sure there is/will be more.

writermama
10-07-2006, 03:09 PM
"I figure I'll just make sure the kids put out their cigarettes before they go to sleep."

ROTFLMAO! Seriously, I woke up the baby because I was laughing so hard.

I, too, put my kids in cotton and make sure it is loose enough for them to be comfortable. Rather than putting them in chemically-treated flame-retardant fabric, I make a point of keeping them away from open flames. I think I'd still keep them away from open flames even if they were wearing flame-proof PJs, I'm silly like that.

punkrockmama
10-07-2006, 05:52 PM
>Definitely a loose-fitting cotton PJ-wearing family, here. I
>figure I'll just make sure the kids put out their cigarettes
>before they go to sleep.

*SNORT* That is one of the freakin' funniest things I've read on this place ever!

Aww man, see I thought ALL pjs were coated in that crap. I've missed out on some cute stuff because of it.

Oooh I thought of a few more (why are all my confessions about food? LOL):

Peyton is not a car kind of person. This is not good as we take road trips often. The only things that keeps him from screaming are pork rinds and slurpees. Um, yeah. You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

I like to pour some chocolate chips into the peanut butter jar and eat it like that. I have introduced him to that wonderful delight, and we'll eat it sitting on the couch watching Food TV. :)

I love this thread and I LOVE you guys for posting all these great "confessions". You are all so funny and great mamas. :)

oliviasmomma
10-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Pork rinds and slurpees! I can only imagine the moral delimma that most have cause the first time, huh! :) Our car-vice is cheese puffs. I don't know how I'd leave the house some days without them! Unfortunately we have to be pretty careful about Olivia's diet, but that one gets a pass because they're low-fat.

madelinesmom
10-08-2006, 01:18 AM
I think I am late to this but here are my Bad Mommy Behaviors:

1. Slept on tummy DD#2
2. Walker Both of them loved it and we mostly used it on the driveway. We did steer them away from the road. ;)
3. We sleep in flamable PJ's!!!!! They really are the cutest!!!
4. We have eaten eggs and peanut butter both before they were 10 months old. Madeline has been eating peanuts since she was 2. She likes them with coke.
5. They love Red Diamond Tea, the sweater the better, yes even the 10 month old.
6. We use crib bumpers.
7. The crib was made from some wood from a sugar mill that was in DH family. I don't think you are supposed to use a crib like this but it met all specs and it is beautiful also.

I can't think of any others at the moment and I am beginning to feel like a really bad Mother...

Jane
Madeline and Emily's Mom
1/20/03 11/29/05

Puddy73
10-08-2006, 10:16 AM
>5. They love Red Diamond Tea, the sweater the better, yes
>even the 10 month old.

Ah, you must be a fellow Southern gal. I gave up trying to convince my IL's that sweet tea was not good for babies, and DD's first word was "tea." I was almost too embarassed to write it in her baby book!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

madelinesmom
10-08-2006, 12:17 PM
My oldest daughter said, DaDa MaMa and next was TEA... My IL's who drink water and beer, not in that order have a problem with tea... Go figure...

Jane
Madeline and Emily's Mom
1/20/03 11/29/05

mimieliza
10-08-2006, 01:03 PM
I put a bumper and a mattress pad on her crib. It was too cold and hard looking without it.

So far we also have a Jumperoo. If I find a good deal on an Exersaucer, I will get one of those as well. I'm going to be bringing my baby to work and working from home, so any baby entertainment device is welcome.

I'm going to use the infant seat in the stroller. She'll be born in November, and I want to keep her snug in her seat rather than having to move her from seat to stroller in the cold and wind.

I know plenty of wonderful parents who don't spend nearly as much time online as I do, and they have never heard of all the "rules." Their kids are happy and healthy!

MeyersDVM
10-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Oh boy- I just learned there are so many things I am not supposed to do....

DD co-sleeps in our bed with pillows and a down comforter (both are kept well away from her though) and she wears whatever I think would be comfy for her that night. Often a onesie with a Halo sleep sack or sometimes just a romper. I didn't even know about special flame-retardant sleepwear :P

I use a second hand PIS- I did disinfect the internal membrane and buy new parts.

We sit DD in her BUmbo seat on the counter while I make coffee (within arm's reach)

She has had a paci clipped to her while in the car seat- otherwise I could never drive and find it at the same time.

I just bought an exersaucer from my neighbor's garage sale- If she doesn't LOVE it in a week it's getting donated because it is so darn ugly!

Why shouldn't you nurse in front of the computer? That is the only time I get to check my email some days!

That's all can think of for now, but I am sure there are tons more things I shouldn't be doing...

DrSally
10-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Are mattress pads a no-no? Also, is putting the infant seat in the stroller a no-no? I haven't heard that.

lizajane
10-08-2006, 06:48 PM
they can't fit their bodies through. the slates are wider than they are supposed to be, but not that wide. believe me, if dylan could get his body through it, he would have. he does that with the baby gate all the time.

(and on our deck, we put screen up on the rails. it looks like half of a screened in porch- just missing the top half of the walls and the ceiling!)

JBaxter
10-08-2006, 06:54 PM
I though you were supposed to use the matress pad to keep pee from getting on the mattress???

oliviasmomma
10-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Re the nursing in front of the computer:

There are those that feel the electromagnetic waves are potentially dangerous. Along the same vein, you shouldn't sleep in front of the TV or computer--whether it is on or not. It seems farfetched, but since I've spent most of my adulthood in the organic, live foods, on the fringe community, it feels like a BIG nonono to me.

Now that I live in the "hot dogs and pizza rolls for lunch, CIO, mickey D's is good along with Mt dew in the bottle" area, it just doesn't seem so bad! (I don't mean to sound judgemental, but I am such an oddball out here and unfortunately I don't share the religious fervor of the people who I relate to in other areas. Sigh.)