PDA

View Full Version : What would you serve at an outdoor birthday party

Melanie
10-08-2006, 02:49 AM
In November? Hoping all hopes that this will be a non-rain year, but it could be chilly (or 80). It's not going to be at our house and I don't think I'll have electric onsite.

It's going to be at lunchtime, so I'm looking for a good/easy main dish for the adults mostly. I'll be having PB&J for the kids. I also am planning on salads/fruit/dipping veggies as sides.

Thanks!

dhano923
10-08-2006, 06:50 AM
I would do some finger foods -- maybe some rolled sandwiches or something along those lines.

Since you are wanting to serve PB&J, I would make sure every single person at the party is peanut allery free, including the adults. some people have deadly allergies, and even the smell of peanuts can set off an allergic reaction. Or you can play it safe and serve ham and cheese or something.

SnuggleBuggles
10-08-2006, 09:25 AM
One of ds' classmates had a party at a park last year and they actually had pizza delivered. It seemed to work well.

Otherwise I would go with sandwiches since there is no electric. Is there an on site grill or something? Someone could always do good old burgers, veggie burgers and hot dogs.

If it turns out to be really chilly that day be sure and brew up some coffee, hot chocolate or warm cider and keep it in some thermoses. It will really make the grown ups happy (at least it would make me happy!).

Beth

Melanie
10-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the tip. I know this crowd isn't. I used to do other nut butters instead. Someone told me *any* nut butter could be harmful if someone was allergic, though.

Melanie
10-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Great ideas for hot drinks. There's no grilling allowed. They will facilitate pizza delivery but this isn't really the pizza-eating crowd.

MartiesMom2B
10-08-2006, 12:34 PM
That looks like a good enough menu to me.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Girl Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

tarynsmum
10-08-2006, 12:36 PM
In our group (in the neighborhood), we deep fry turkeys (although I don't guess it's the healthiest thing). Really good, and I don't think it's all that much work.

DebbieJ
10-08-2006, 04:11 PM
I think a tray of sandwiches (Costco comes to mind...) or a big sub sandwich would be tasty and easy.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Melanie
10-08-2006, 04:39 PM
I think my Veggie friends would run in horror. I've heard they are tasty, too, though.

tarynsmum
10-08-2006, 04:56 PM
hee hee, yeah that probably wouldn't go over too well (but they are delicious!)

Tondi G
10-08-2006, 05:08 PM
I think sandwiches or a 3-6 foot sub would work well. You could do a sandwich meat and cheese platter and get assorted rolls/bread too... then the vegi people could just make a cheese and vegi sandwich if they like! Have all the fixens for sandwiches... Mayo, mustards, tomato, lettuce, pickles, cucumber, olives, bell pepper, onion etc!

Pasta salad always goes over well at our birthday parties too!

7 layer dip and tortilla chips?
Hummus and pita?
Too bad you couldn't plug in a crock pot somewhere... you could do turkey chili and all the fixens!

I know most coffee places now do coffee in a box for parties.... I'll bet you could get hot cocoa in a box too for the kids.... be sure to pick up some mini marshmallows and some whipped cream!!!! YUM!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05